Portal To The Non Mortal

Submitted into Contest #196 in response to: Write a story involving a portal into a parallel universe.... view prompt

1 comment

Creative Nonfiction Adventure Mystery

-Story is based on actual life and dream events. 

He stood there with one hand on top of what looked like a mirror. It was tall and oval shaped. Both of us watched as my grandma climbed through. Not one word or sound. We were surrounded by blackness besides the light that was protruding from where you would have seen your reflection. It was lit up with two beautiful bright shades of purple and a bright white light around the edges. 

 I woke up confused. My dreams were always weird and different, but this dream wasn’t like anything I’ve ever dreamt of before. I had so many questions; What was that thing? Why did I feel like he was trying to give me a message of some sort? Was she going to cross over soon? Could it have been just a dream? No. Scratch that, it didn’t feel like it was just a dream. Especially since he was there. I knew he was trying to tell me something. I just didn’t know what, let alone the extent. 

 A few nights passed by when the bright mass appeared in my dream again. I was walking down a trail in the woods when I saw it. Mesmerized, I got down on all fours and crawled up to it. I reached forward and could feel the energy difference when my arm went through. Even though I knew I was dreaming, I was still too nervous to completely enter. I felt like I was in an episode of ‘Stranger Things’. 

 When I awoke, I realized the purple mass was some kind of portal but where was it leading to? I tried researching “purple portals”, but nothing ever came about it besides they only existed in video games and fictional worlds. I knew l had to figure it out on my own. 

 As the days went by, I noticed I was in these situations where I couldn’t logically explain it without adding the paranormal or supernatural into the equation. There was literally no logical explanation besides an unseen force at play. 

 One day while I was home with just the two pets who were in the same room as me, it sounded as if someone was moving things around. I ran upstairs. I stood in the doorway and peaked my head around the corner. I didn’t see anyone or anything out of place so I brushed it off and went back downstairs. 

 In the middle of the night, while my aunt and i were watching a movie, we all heard a thud. I didn’t take it seriously until the dog growled. I ran to the kitchen, grabbed a knife just to be safe and quietly made my way up the stairs. I reached the top, jumped through the doorway, and turned on the light so fast it was almost like the light turned on before I flipped the switch. Once again, I saw nothing. 

 The next day, I had to go up to the same room, I heard all the commotion in the day before to start cleaning the space for when my mom moved in, and that’s when it started getting deeper. 

 About halfway through, as I was cleaning off a desk in the corner I came across a small box. The lid wasn’t on and all I could see were old lottery tickets, and scratch offs. I had this urge to go through it, but my logical brain was like “Uh, why? There’s literally no reason”. I skimmed through it only to see lottery tickets and scratch offs, so I put it aside for her to take care of. I went on with my tasks for a few more hours. Right before I decided the job was done for the day, the little box popped in my head again.

 I grabbed the box and one by one, flipped through the contents not knowing what I was going to find, if I was to even find anything. Was I just curious and it got the best of me or was it the start of some type of scavenger hunt? 

 Scratch off, scratch off, scratch off, lottery, scratch off. 

Wait, what in the mundane?”

 I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was a picture of me and my second grade class. It was Halloween and that year I dressed up as a witch. At surface level it was just an old photo, but analyzing the photo, things got weird. 

 Two female classmates were in front of me. One was dressed in a maid costume and the other was dressed as a princess. All of the boys in my class were behind me, dressed in all black with skeleton faces. In front of me was the light, behind me was the darkness. I felt the chills in my bones. 

 By the time I stopped my task for the day and went downstairs to make dinner, my aunt was home from work. I told her about what had happened. We sat in the living room for the rest of the night talking about paranormal happenings until we fell asleep. How she’s captured orbs on video coming from the stairs near where she had a picture of her great grandfather and how my younger sister refuses to sleep here because she gets creeped out. 

 The next day I had to go back upstairs to do more organizing. I kept coming across black and white wallet sized pictures of the same young man. I also found a soldier's uniform that had my great grandfather's name written on it. I had a hunch it was him in the photos but I didn’t want to assume, so I put a picture aside to ask my aunt when she got home. I grabbed a bunch of plastic bins and brought them down to the first floor before bringing them to the basement. 

 I walked a few feet away to pick up a dog toy and had my back turned to the boxes when I felt something hit me. I turned around and saw a big white envelope laying there. I picked it up in total disbelief. 

How the… What? There’s no way.” 

 The fact that I was standing a few feet away from the boxes, it couldn’t have just fallen out and hit me where it hit me. Especially considering it would have had to go upwards first. There had to have been some type of force. 

“Am I supposed to be lookin out for a white envelope?”, I said out loud to whoever may have been listening, assuming someone was trying to get my attention. 

 I went back upstairs and heard a noise which drew my attention to the corner of the room where an old computer chair was with a bunch of stuff resting on it. I walk over and see this giant print out of what seemed to be some type of graduation photo. 

“Is this what you guys wanted me to see?”

Bang… Bang..

“Ok, but I don’t even know what I’m looking for, or who I’m looking for”

I scanned the picture for about 3 minutes. 

“I really don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing right now. Who am I looking for?” 

Bang… Bang…

“Why do I feel like I’m not supposed to be looking at this?” 

The noise got intense. It sounded like a ticking bomb. 

“Yea, uhh, I don’t think this is it.” 

Immediately after that thought finished, the banging stopped. 

“Okay then, I guess so.” 

 As I put the giant photo down, I noticed there was a large white envelope on the chair that looked like the one that hit me on my back. I picked it up and opened the flap. To my surprise, it was a portrait drawing of my Poppop; the one who showed me the portal. I had that feeling I found what I was supposed to and tears started streaming down my face. 

“What the heck is going on?” 

 I had to take a break from everything to calm my emotions. I went to my room and sat at my desk. After a few minutes of crying, my mind wandered off. 

“I really need a laptop. It would make my life so much easier. But if I go and do that, I’d need my own printer. Wait. You know what would be really cool? A typewriter. Then I wouldn’t need a printer. That would be awesome. But where in the heck would I even get one?” 

 I pulled out my notebook and started to doodle. I thought about an old poster my Poppop had hanging up in his old house on Vermont Avenue before they moved. The only thing I remember about the poster was that the background was red and had little creatures who were incorporated with a Yin and Yang symbol. 

 I took a hit from my vape pen thinking about how much better I feel since I stopped smoking cigarettes. Especially considering my Popped passed away thirteen years prior to lung cancer. I put it down and it fell. When I picked it up, I got the feeling like I should be paying attention again. 

“No, you’re just overthinking.” 

I picked up the vape, put it down and once again, it fell in the same spot, pointing in the same direction. 

Oh my gosh. Will you please just stay in one place?” 

I again set it down and got up from my chair to grab a snack. I turn around to find a piece of the vacuum pointing in the same direction towards the closet. I got the weird feeling again but this time it was stronger. So I did some investigating. I connected all three points with an invisible string. Both items, in different parts of the room, were pointing to one area in the closet. I forgot about the snack and walked over to that area. . 

I started at the top, not knowing what I was actually looking for. Thinking to myself how crazy I feel. Then I remembered how I was thinking of the poster my Poppop had in his house when things started happening. 

“Am I looking for the poster? I don’t understand. I’ve been in this closet so many times.” 

I got to the bottom and started moving things around. At this point, I’m a little frustrated but I kept searching. It was like something was keeping me on this hunt. I moved a bag, some shoes and tiles and this black, odd shaped object catches my attention. 

“What is this? Why am I getting a feeling like I found what I was looking for?”

I removed the black covering and my jaw dropped. My eyes filled up with excitement and tears. 

“Holy cow! A freaking typewriter! This has to be great grandpa’s.” 

 After a few minutes of playing with it, I covered it back up and went to finish cleaning. When the dog started barking out of excitement, I knew she was home. I grabbed the picture and ran down the stairs. 

“Hey. How was work?” 

“It was ok. How was your day?”

“Interesting. I got more stuff done in the office and brought a bunch of crates to the basement”

“Okay good, but what do you mean interesting?”

“Well for starters, Who is this?” 

I grabbed the photo from my pocket and showed her. 

“That’s your great grandpa, my grandfather. Where did you find it?” 

“All over while I was organizing. I thought it was him but I just wanted to be sure, thank you. But it gets even weirder.” 

 I proceeded to explain the events that took place earlier in the day. I heard her phone ring and knew it was the end of our conversation for the moment and went to my room. 

 I sat down on the floor, holding the picture of my great grandfather with tears streaming down my face. Memories flooded my brain. I started talking out loud and apologized for being scared when he came to visit me a few months after he had passed over twenty-two years ago, and told him I’d love for him to come visit me again, when, and if he could. 

 By the time I went back to the living room, my aunt was off the phone and was painting her nails. I sat on the couch and she mentions how she had her eyes closed listening to Christmas music before, and she saw her grandmother, on her fathers side, standing there, smiling at her. 

 A few moments after telling me, the thought of my great grandpa's brother, on my grandma's side, popped into my head. I never met him and have only heard one story about him; Chester along with a few of his supposed friends went out on a boat ride and he never returned. His body was never even found. They said he accidentally fell overboard but the family believes it was more sinister than that. 

 All of a sudden, my attention was brought to the back room. I thought I had seen movement. I brushed it off until it happened again. 

“If something is there, the dog will let me know.”

 The dog sat up, staring directly into the back room. I started getting the tingles through my body. Half of me knew but the other half was in some sort of denial. As I thought this unseen force was getting closer, the tingles intensified. It felt like there was static flowing through me. I then got this feeling that something was standing next to me. 

“If something is there, the dog will let me know.” 

He got up and started walking away from where he was laying. 

“See, nothing.” 

I looked in his direction and noticed he stopped dead in his tracks with his head turned to me. Both of us locked eyes. 

“If something is there, he will let me know.” 

 Immediately after that thought went through my head, he looked over to the area about a foot and half next to me where I felt there was an unseen presence and then immediately looked back at me. 

“No way. If something is there he will let me know.” 

He looks over at the same spot and then back at me. 

Nuh-uh. There’s no way. If something is there he will let me know.” 

 Once again, he looks over to the same exact spot and once again, his eyes met mine. The tingles went crazy. I ran to my room, grabbed my message cards and started shuffling. I didn’t know what to expect. I didn’t know if I was connecting to something or what was going on. 

 After a few cards, I realized what was taking place. I wasn’t overthinking. My great grandpa had heard me the night before. The conversation didn’t last long. He told me he was sorry for having to go so soon and we would talk again when the time was right.

When the visitation ended, so much energy had left my body. I was super emotional and started to hyperventilate. I sat down and my mind flooded with so many different realizations.

They both had been helping me from the other side. The portal dream was a way of trying to tell me to open my mind to all possibilities because there’s more to life than what we see here on Earth. 

May 06, 2023 01:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Jocelyn Nelson
14:43 May 15, 2023

I wanted to give some honest feedback, so I really had to reflect on this one and why I struggled to get through it. I think it's a combination of 3 things. 1. It felt very "beat-based", by that I mean I felt like the connective tissue between moments that were important to you did not flow. Your MC "didn't know why" she did this or that, but neither did I. 2. I didn't connect to the main character because I don't really know anything about her. When she cried, I couldn't cry with her because I didn't know why she was crying. When she saw su...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.