0 comments

General

The red and blue lights, flashing from all directions, were more than just smudgy illuminations in the slanting rain, as fire trucks and police cars gathered around an overturned vehicle. Logan stood by the side, amongst many other horrified onlookers, but the only difference between him and them was that he didn't understand what was going on. For one, he was even confused as to how he had gotten there in the first place. 

The accident had occurred very close to his house, and he wondered if the victim was from around the area, but that was the least of his worries as what caught his eye the most, was his own parents' car arriving at the accident scene before, his mother rushed out, running towards the damaged car. She was blocked by some police officers, who tried to get her to calm down while she cried and pleaded for them to let her get through.

"My son!" She cried, pointing at the wreckage, "He's in there."

"Ma'am, please calm down." One police officer spoke, "We are doing our best to get him out, but it may take a little time, since the car is badly damaged."

"Well, clearly you are not doing your job properly How difficult can opening a simple car be?"

"Ma'am, we can't just pull him out. We have to cut through the metal first."

"If you can't get him out, then I'll do it myself!" She shouted, trying her best to push her way through, towards the car.

"Darling,please." His father spoke for the first time since arriving at the accident scene, pulling his wife into a hug as she cried bitterly, "Just let them do their job."

More confused than ever, Logan walked up to his parents and raised his hand to touch his father's shoulder but it went right through.

"Mom, dad!" He called out but they didn't seem to react to his presence, as his mother kept crying. 

He tried to touch his mother as well, but his hand still went through, causing him to stare at both his hands, as he didn't understand what was happening. 

Realising that his parents would not hear him, he left the place, and tried to ask the people down the street for help, but no one seemed to hear him, much less even see him. 

He was now walking aimlessly, lost in his thoughts, that he didn't see the car coming towards him at full speed, but before it could run him over he jumped out of the way and wondered why the driver of the car did not hit the car horn. He was about to slam against a wall, much but to his shock, he went right through the wall. 

Falling on the other side, he checked himself for any injuries, just to make sure, but he had none. He felt more scared, mixed with confusion, and he didn't like the feeling. He even felt weird, as if he was not himself. 

Letting out a heavy sigh, he buried his face in the palms of his hands as he tried to figure out what was going on. 

"I hope you don't expect me to just sit around and wait for you for all of eternity." A voice came from behind him sounding so relaxed. "I have other souls to claim, you know?" 

Curious to see who it was, Logan quickly turned around facing the stranger who's face he could not clearly see as he was wearing a black hooded robe that covered the top half of his face leaving only the nose and lips visible. 

"You can see me?" Logan frowned, asking the stranger, who smirked, before pulling the hood off his head, revealing his dark hair and a somewhat, good looking face. "Who are you?"

The stranger had an intimidating aura radiating from him as he eyed Logan with a serious face, "Me? I'm nobody, in particular. I'm only here to help you cross over to the other side."

"What do you mean by that? And how come you are the only one that can see me? I don't understand what's happening to me. I literally walked through a wall back there!" 

The stranger laughed out loudly before he spoke, "Another confused one? Really? I totally hate my job sometimes."

"Are you going to tell me what's going on?" Logan asked, "You are saying an awful lot of strange things."

The stranger nodded his head, and spoke once again. "Follow me."

Logan reluctantly followed the stranger, not knowing what his intentions were, but that was the only person that could actually see him, and probably had all the answers as to what was happening. 

It didn't take long for the two of them to get back at the place where Logan had previously been standing, near the car wreck. His mother and father were still at the place, and his mother continued to shed tears. 

"Those are your parents." The stranger said to which Logan frowned.

"Don't you think I already know that?"

"Would you like to know what's going on or what?"

"Isn't that why you brought me back here?" Logan asked, impatiently. 

"Look there." The stranger pointed into the distance, to which Logan looked, finally seeing a stretcher in a head of them and on it lay a teenage boy, body lifeless, covered in blood and deep cuts.

"What's the meaning of this?" Logan was now wide eyed, "How possible is it that I'm here?... And there?"

"Well, at this point, please allow me to introduce myself." The stranger said, proudly, "My name is Thur. The grim reaper if you prefer and since I'm here, it only means that your are dead and clearly wasting my time. Do you know how many people die per second and I'm stuck here with you?"

Logan took in all that the other male had said before he went on to speak. "I don't believe you. You are a liar and if you can't help me, I will leave now and solve this mystery on my own."

"You know you are in no position to doubt my word right? How do you explain your invisibility? And what about that body you just saw?"

"But I can't die! I'm only eighteen! I have so much to live for."

"You think?" Thur raised an eyebrow at the now desperate boy. 

"I can't stand seeing my parents heart broken. I know I have been an awful child but they still love me and losing me will shatter their whole world."

"Well," Thur spoke, as if in deep thought, "I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do to change what's already happened."

"Please," Logan pressed his palms together as he begged for Thur to reconsider. 

"Do you know what an awful human being you have been?" Thur asked and it was clear he was starting to get angry, "Why would you even ask for another chance when the world will actually be a better place without you in it?"

"Please, I'm willing to change." Logan went on, sounding even more desperate by the minute, "I'm not asking this for myself, but for my parents sakes."

"Well, your parents are good people, and it's unfortunate that they have to suffer such a big loss. But I'm sorry you can't cheat death."

"You know I really can't die. Not when I'm not on good terms with my family."

"You really want to live?" Logan nodded his head in response, before Thur released a heavy sigh."Fine."

"Really?" Logan's face lit up at what he just heard, "Thank you so much.."

"Don't celebrate just yet. I'll give you one more chance at life, but as you know all good things must come with a price."

"I'll do anything."

"Are you sure?" Thur asked, earning another nod Logan. 

Thur waved his scythe and the two of them were no longer at the scene of the accident, but in a hospital ward. 

Another teenage boy lay in bed, his body connected to all forms of life support machines, a middle aged woman seated by his side, holding on to his limp hand. 

"You are so worried about breaking your parents' hearts if you died, but did you think about her?" Thur asked as he pointed at the woman, "Did you think about how heart broken she'd be if she lost her beloved younger brother as a result of your actions?"

Logan shook his head as he realized the awful things he had previously done to the boy. 

Taylor had been his best friend since from when they were still in their diapers, but everything changed the day Taylor confessed he had feelings for him. From that day, Logan took to bullying the other boy, pushing him to the very verge of trying to take his own life and now the reason why he was lying in that hospital bed. 

"And now you expect me to have pity on you?"

Logan didn't know how to respond to Thur's question as he kept his eyes to the floor. 

"So I will let you live, but in exchange for your life, you have to earn back Taylor's forgiveness and affection by the end of this year. If you fail to do so by then, you will die."

"That's it?" Logan asked surprised as he knew that was a simple task, as Taylor was already madly in love with him. 

"That's it." Thur answered, "Taylor is the only one that can save you from the shadows of death so do your best."

Logan nodded his head in response before Thur waved his scythe once again and they were not in the hospital anymore. In fact, Logan was all alone in his room back at home, before a knock sounded on the door, startling him a little. 

August 15, 2020 00:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.