Inside Voices and Selective and Receptive Hearing.

Written in response to: Write a story about a character who one day notices that their reflection has taken on a life of its own.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Crime Thriller

Shout it from the mountain tops.

Scream it from the other side.

Modern day ear plugs are here to stay.

Clogging the pathways along the way.


Some voices are like nails on a chalk board.

Rambling replaces indecision. Decisions are an incapable task of never ending do overs.

Talking to one’s self become a daily ritual of habitual happenstance.


What should I wear.

What should I not wear.

How do I look?

How do I not look—(like haven’t slept in years…..)

The memories often return when life is at its quietest. Only to amplify when life is its busiest.


A quick check in the mirror and our face morphs into that which we hope for.

Calm. Serene Docility.


Not. That which is. Grimacing frowning questions.

Enter.Photoshop and all its benefits. Cheaper, for now, good news that botoxial concoctions exist and are meant to shave years off the faces of our existence.


Shortcuts. We use to hide from what we may not like. The mirrors of our lives do not so much tell the story. We change the narrative when we look, to see how we look. To hide who we are when we look at our reflection. From who we may becoming:


Bangs. Beards. Botox.


Experientality teaches us a thing or two about experimentation.

What we hope to gain is anybody’s guess. Yet. We return to the mirror time and again to tell us how to feel, how we look. What to change about ourselves.


Sometimes we got to see it to believe it.

And.

Believe it when we see it.


Our inner voices whispering there is a better path.

Caution:


Not all people are nice. Not all people “root” for one another the same. Life generally isn’t that nice, isn’t that way.

Some want others to go down. As in going down chump. So. We tell ourselves, we look ok. Are ok. When really our reflections scream another story. Held deeply within our cores. The cores of our beings tell us another story. Our grimaces tell another.


Mimicries scream below the surface.

The insides voices of our existences eek up and maybe out from our souls and speak of a desperation that can no longer be,


stifled.


The gaping hole is opened.

Wide and blistering.

Ick.

We kid ourselves.

A lot.

Live in a fantasy world where we like predictability, routine.


More foundation.

More eye liner.

More shadow.

And soon we look like the circus clown from cirque de soleleil. Spinning wildly in our own boots hoping to fall down and pass out from the pain of what we just witnessed.


Bore witness to.

While the crown laughs hysterically at our expense and in the moment we never knew what hit us.


So. We examine our selves in the mirror to desperately try and discover where we went wrong. Exhausting much of our mental resources. Left with very little reserve. The mirror is not going to give us the answer. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever.


We walk past a mirror and do a double take.

Is that really the me that used to be me?

Have I really aged so much?

Worry lines.

Fret freckles.

Winning warts.

Pursed lips.

Cursed hips.

We stare at the reflection and try to make sense of it all.


Of it all.


There is no denying that something looks different.

Can attitudes change the way we see ourselves?

Our inner voices now become inside voices destined to be the louder voices of “sharing” irrelevance.


Makes no difference who we think we are at this point in time.

Our reflection stares back with a blank stare of exclusion.


Again.

Yes.

Again.


It feels yucky.

To feel yucky.


The mirror only tells a fraction of the story.

Bangs. Beards. Botox. Some make feel comfort in their presence. Not too long ago we were all required to “cover up” for the sake of one another. Masks and all the masking and all. Ended up masking the concocted story.


Our conscience began speaking up.The inside voices became louder and louder. We were left with judgment and very little reason. We kept checking the mirror to see if anything had changed.


Stress alone can age a person beyond their nature years. No matter how much meditation is added to the hours long days.


Enter. The self chat. The ultimate hearing test. We all hold within our ‘noggins brain mechanisms that cause you to “hear” yourself talk in your head without actuallyspeaking and forming sounds.😳


Don’t become the victim of your own mood.


Visualize this. The next time temptation leads you back to the mirror. The blindness of the mind’s eye is a condition. A condition called aphantasia. Inability to for a person to create visualizations of things, events, circumstances. An important part of any person’s day, with the recall and the flexibility to see another’s point of view.(in)


Conceptualization.Formulation. Articulatory planning. We constantly are in a state of monitor. We constantly check and recheck ourself and our place in space. To make certain we are,


ok.


100 percent of internal speech is only experienced by the individual.

Phew.

I would not enjoy you knowing EVERYTHING I am thinking.

Said like any ole privacy freak.😳☺️. We seek. We find. We seek to find corollary discharge as a predictive signal generated by the brain that helps us better understand our environment and surroundings. (In)


Our place in our space.🙂


For this we rely on our ability to hear. Our ability to listen to. The auditory system is not the housing place for all things ear bud.


I worry.

Because I do.

What that will do the the futures abilities of a bonafide conversation. One where the back and forth benefits the whole, not just the few. We all need a little break from the constant barrage of all things,


noise.

Inside voices.

Outside voices.

Screaming from the roof tops.

Shouting out for others to hear.

Even if it is not within the personal space parameters that they should,


Hear. Your story.

as you try to blurt and shout it out.


So back to the drawing board we go.

Back to incessant self examination of the freckles and wrinkles and bangs, beards and botoxial concoctions of paste and poke.


We live to see another day.

We look to the mirror for the answers of our well being.

We drag ourselves out of bed, and the first thing we do?


Check the score.

Check the weather.

Check on our rested face.

Check the conscience.

Our conscience.

And. How we may have improved, overnight?


Sadly, realize all we have been doing is tossing and turning with zero hope of changing what stares back at us in our mirrored reflections.


Remedy?


Have a nice quiet chat with yourself and try and come up with the solution.☺️







November 17, 2023 21:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.