2 comments

General

I'm a poet.

    That feels so weird to say, but its true. Well, kind of. I write and save all these works of mine on a small flash drive. Like, I assume, the average poet-to-be, I was up at 3 AM again and thinking about my latest poem. 

Sunshine hides

When shadows near

But Sunshine bites

who holds it dear

      I wish my life were a poem. Thats, secretly, what this is about. Sunshine represents the dreams I have. I hold them dear, but the moment real life comes, they disappear. Haha. That rhymes, too. 

It disappears

It runs away

Yes, Sunshine is near

If you'll pay

     Pay the price of forgetting life, and living in the dream. All these poems have secret meanings to me, but no one else may find them. Some people may find this somewhat depressing, but to me, its meaningful.

      At least I don't make those poems from, what, a century ago? The ones no one understands, those are the ones people will actually be confused by. Sorry, but what's the point of writing poems if they'll only be used at school for teachers to show students how complicated they can be.No thanks.

     As I close my eyes and clear my mind of these distractions, another walks in. Well, more like shows itself, if you want to be literal. Because when I close my eyes, I didn't just see black. 

     Have you ever closed your eyes with a bright light in front of them, so you see it through your skin? When I closed my eyes, even when all around me was pitch black, I saw the regular black. Except for one concentrated spot. 

     This little circle of light shining through seemed concentrated on something. I opened my eyes, thinking I had gone insane, but it was true. The instant I closed my eyes again, the same patch of light had moved ...and it was bigger,  like what it was following was closer.

      Before I had any time to process this, I heard someone yell "get her!" and a bag fell over me. I tried to move, tried to scream, but I couldn't. I somehow got in what I thought was a van, and the light when I closed my eyes was gone. I suddenly realized I was no longer in the bag, just in a corner.

      I got up and immediately crawled around and felt the sides for the door. How did I not get affected by adrenaline? I'm not sure. My brain was working perfectly fine, if not better. I prepared myself for a sudden stop, just in case, but the van was riding without stop on a smooth road.

      The instant I touched the door, I moved into position. Ready for anyone to open it, I stood directly in the corner next to it. Sure enough, a few minutes later, I felt the van stop and the door lock being messed with. 

      Everything happened in slow motion. She opened the door and stepped in, looking for where I went. I jumped and pinned her on the ground, then turned to run. But there was another one, standing around the doorway. 

      And they laughed. He stood there, laughing. "Just like your mother," he says once he finishes. 

      And then I felt my pocket. "It was just here!" I shouted frantically, searching my pockets for the missing thing. My flashdrive!

      "Calm down, Rose. We aren't here to hurt you. It is right here. You'll have to listen to us to get it. We are here to teach you." 

      My situation finally dawned on me. I had no out. Might as well ask questions. "How did you know my mom? Do you know what happened to her? Why did you throw me in a bag if you aren't going to hurt me."

       His face went sad for one second, but he went back to his smile and answered, "We did the same thing to your mom as we are doing to you, teaching. We don't know what happened to her, but you can help us find out. And the bag thing? You think you would go willingly with two strangers? Now, hold the questions and focus. Close your eyes."

       Reluctantly, I did so. He closed the door enough for my eyelids to be shaded. Only one spot had light. He was right. How did he know that would happen? I opened my eyes. The woman was finally out of her small shock.

       "I told you. I told you that she would learn fast!" yelled the woman, not knowing her own voice level. 

       "Calm down, Jenny," he answered. So that's her name. What's his? "Oh, my name is James." How did he- ," I can read minds. And Jenny has visions of the future. She is basically my accomplice. Now," he bends down to a crouching position,"where did you see the light?" 

      I pointed, choking on my words. Powers are real? I have one? He looked at where I pointed.

      "Follow me. We're sitting up front." Before I know it, I'm in between him and Jenny. He keeps asking me where it is, and I just point, telling him if its closer. After going straight for a while, I knew exactly where it was pointing to.

     "The Tavern! It's pointing to it!" I said excitedly. He nodded to her to turn. She quickly skidded around the corner and we saw why I had been summoned. There were wasps surrounding the place.

      We parked at next door's parking spots and walked over. The wasps were now mostly inside. I rushed in, not scared of them,  and they both decided to follow. Everyone was screaming, and the wasps next lay broken on the floor. 

      Suddenly James looked at me with a worried look,nodded to Jenny, and ran, determined. I stayed my ground. Then the wasps saw me. It was a blur. They came for me, assuming I had done it, when I yelled, "Stop!" To my suprise, they did. 

      Everyone, maybe twenty people, was staring at me. I took a deep breath and whispered, "No one here will hurt you. We will find the culprit, I promise." They made a buzzing sound, which I made out to be 'sorry, we didn't know' before they all went out of the door held open by a door stop.

      Suddenly everyone clapped. And they weren't just clapping, they were cheering for me. It was such a weird feeling. James walked in with another man.

     "Good job for a first try, eh, Rose? On another note, I got the culprit. Want to tell your little friends?" I called them, and we basically left the man, fate to be determined by the wasps. 

     "Now, are you going to stay with us?"

     "Of course!"

     "Then you deserve this back." He handed me my flashdrive. "You should share those poems, one time."

     "You read them?"

     "Well, since I'm your father, I figured-" I cut him short.

     "Your my father?!"

     "Yes." 

     I couldn't have had a happier ending.

December 06, 2019 22:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Millie Spence
10:06 Dec 12, 2019

This is such a unique and interesting narrative. I enjoyed reading this. I enjoy the way that there was so many twists so I never knew what to expect. I loved the use of poetry at the start as well

Reply

Rosaline Hope
23:38 Dec 13, 2019

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.