Conversations and repercussions

Written in response to: Write a story about a white lie which spirals out of control.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Funny

With an unusual 120 customers on an usual Sunday, 70 parcels and with the anticipation that it was just 6.00 pm evening so another round of brisk business was about to come Adam the owner of the bakery shop "TIME FOR DELIGHTS " was..... UNHAPPY. Yes he was unhappy. He looked at the other sweet shops near his shops especially the rival shop "SWEET TOOTH ".

It has to be them. Yes the hell that happened to me is bcoz of them.

He went inside to check and help the staff with the "CHAOS". Steve or Steve the PINK CHEEKS as u might have guessed, was quite happy to see such a hustling and bustling in the shop.His cheeks looked a more pink than ever and thus justified his nickname . He has been the manager of the shop when Adam had just opened the shop. Tell how the hell u achieved it. I mean did you give our shop's name to an ad agency? Or have you signed a deal with the devil? . Adam ,of course was not interested to answer this. He was thinking of closing the shop little early. He opinied his thoughts and heard what he expected but not what he wanted.

You know it very well that we are well on the opportunity to earn so much that we can retire sooner than expected. And now u say to throw the tastiest bread which is just inches away . No thanks. Adam "politely" reminded him that he's the boss and steve too reminded with utter "courtsey" that there is was worker strike in another town by factory workers just because there BOSS didn't listen to them. So avoiding any kind of FRENCH REVOLUTION type situation Adam went out again and sat on a bench situated at the pedestal. He went into his "why the hell did I do that" mode . The rival shop ,sweet tooth, opened just 3 months ago and it didn't took long time to get established and have a good amount of regular customers. The thing that irked Adam was that it was slowly eating into his business. The frustating fact - they sold their sweets at higher rates than his shop. $30 for a cupcake? U can't be serious right? Are they adding any kind of Harry Potter magical potion stuff or something ? . To get an inside view of their business secret he somehow got one of his employe to get close with the other shop's worker.

and remember.... Try to bond with someone who doesn't have a key position in the shop but has key info about it. so the "spy" set on his work sincerely and told him that the main business of the shop was more than expected. They not only use to sell their products through their shops but also have a good demand in catering business. Adam couldn't believe that even after opening and running the shop for years he had acted like an idiot and couldn't capitalize on this. He had this idea some years ago but now it looked like an absolute requirement. So to experiment he choose the nearby small community centre which was often used by people belonging to cancer anyonymus group. let's see how far I can go. He went very far than expected. On a fine Sunday morning he went to the center and met their to meet the head members and discuss about his plans. One of the reason why he choose this centre as it their session only 3-4 days a week so even if it doesn't work out he still won't suffer much given the fact that this was a small community centre so was the no of people. Their main member , Sarah Pratt, was also a motivational speaker and was busy speaking in one of these sessions. Adam had decided to meet her. He asked about her whereabouts and sneaked into the room where she uplifting the motivation of others.

I wonder how they still make a living just by saying those blah blah things like we shouldn't give up so easily and life is all about... And you are mister? His thoughts were interrupted by Sarah herself which took him a while to recover from. After introducing himself and about his occupation he heard a question not related to neither him nor his business. Sarah asked - so how long are you been suffering from cancer. Now Adam thought it will be rude to tell the truth and then thought of having some fun. He had hardly expected to hit a homerun with the deal so he thought of having fun by.... Lying that he has cancer. He gave a passionate speech. He spoke slowly and carefully and tried to remember all those rom coms where the protagonist is suffering from a disease similar to this. At the near end he noticed how aptly all the people were listening to him so he did some advertising for his shop too. To his delight the outcome were positive and he got what he wanted. But but.. One of them had recorded it and the video went viral. This was unexpected. When people came to him crying and showed him sympathy he was shackled. Even his own brother called him and asked when the hell did this happen and tried to console him. Majority of the customers were from the Same cancer session group and there pain looked more real than ever.

now all I can do is just sit and cry not bcoz I can't tell the truth but what the consequences Will be after telling it... Why the hell did I really do that...

Steve came running to him and told him that his services are required in the shop and he better get there as quickly as possible bcoz majority of them wanted to meet him. He also told him that some Sarah Pratt also wanted to meet him, privately. OK so here we go... To the hell of course


August 18, 2021 13:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.