11 comments

General

DARK NIGHTS

Come on Miral the sun is setting let’s find some shelter for our self, you never can tell what the outcome could be the more we delay. I am sure that with such intense as reflected in the sky that the story will not really end well like ever. You know where such has blown us. Larry, no need to worry so much about me, if others find it difficult trusting me, I am gifted with self trust and love, which am sure will see me through. If at all I do not know you, I know pretty well that you have always being adamant whenever it comes to questions and issues that curtail your escapades in your likeness to birds. Remember the last time you exhibited this attitude where it landed you into; a word is enough for the wise; once beaten twice shy, but you are opting to even be beaten the third time. What were you even thinking? What is wrong with your mind? Trust me you are not going to like the outcome if you continue. It is equally the same with me Larry, if I do not know you, I know that in our long years of friendship that you have trusted and believed in me. What could be more sustaining than that?

Let it not sound like I am a bad egg here, but I am only trying to make sure that your sun keeps shinning, your star keeps shining even in the dead of nights, and that your moon ever comes out in full like this full moon staring at us without which the night would have been a den. But I have always drawn strength lying outside while feeling the cool breeze of the night and listening to cracklings of my companions, they have been inspirational. It`s all different now. Who could ever believe that your face could ever be gloomy? Take a look at the times when smiles never depart your face, when your teeth glow in the night all due to the brightness and glowsomeness in your heart and life for living out your dreams. Those times you are either in one all-night crusades of one evangelical mission or the other, in freshers-nite, night parties, departmental nights, those days when you sing “thank God it’s Friday”, all due to weekend grooves at nights where you sing out your heart to the delight of the people. Have you ever imagined the number of satisfaction, joy and inspiration, the impression you leave on people`s countenance. Those are the moments I ever want to remain in your face. I owe my happiness to your happiness. Outside that, you’re lost, I am lost and we are lost.

I thought you have understood me all these while, but I was wrong. What were you thinking all the while I have being rejecting calls of offer, sleeping endlessly even in broad day light, indifferent about church activities even on a Sunday when you knew how tenacious I hold the Sabbath; keeping the Sabbath day holy, having myself in weekends locked up indoors. Can`t you see what’s going on?

Maybe I have to take you back memory lane. When last did you feel me on the groove? That was the award night at the university in our 300level. I lost it there and then. Like a flash of lightening the winner was announced. My name on the hearts of audience but another`s on the lips of judges. Who could ever believe Miral to be running off the track? No radar in view. No support to hold on to. Like the Titanic I sank into the sea. Still like a paralyzed, standing helplessly. My only prayer was for the ground to open and swallow me up. Death became my second nature. Meaninglessness was more meaningless. I have lost steering. I was left all alone to fate my fate. The bridge was broken in half. I was no longer living but existing. Eyes wild awake like eagle`s but catches no view of anything. My years filled with sleepless nights of worry and thoughts. Ears wild open like the antelope`s but no sounds embracing it. A worthy daughter denied the throne. Maybe I have become a judge in my own case. My heart is broken. My heart bleeds. How could I get home to behold my rival? Unknown to me I was not in coma but was comatose for God knows how long.

Believe in myself led me to this point and is leading me to the base like a chattered taxi for an event. A winner takes it all deal. Struck on the night of the award launching. Hope was not lost but was buried alive that night. To what face do I behold my shadow. Who would even behold me without body? My body all taken away but left with only shadow. Seen only with a little reflection of another`s light and not mine else I should be standing. No wonder it was only a half moon on the night our pact was made. The sun replaced by the rain. The century eclipse ushering it previously before the day. Signs of time for the greatest. The ides of March to stagnation. Flies without ears follows corpse to the grave. Miral was dead. My music was dead. Parties were over. Night vigils were over. My heart was broken. My lips was zipped up till infinity. My soul speaking to the head for redemption. Alone in the war of wars.  Mind mending the heart. Raising up the head in courage. And so years pass.

The heavy heart thinks to be all alone. The worried mind feels deserted. Living can only be by one but existing by more. Your tunes never left my heart and radio set Miral. The only records for my set. Patiently waiting for your comeback. Your biggest fan needs to live to share life with you. Together we can exist. Alone you can return our simile. Never would I stop dragging you no matter where we land our self. Nothing could be more devastating than losing a dearest. Sun sets and rises again. The star dwindles and blossoms countlessly. The moon ceases, comes in half and in full. Light at the end of the tunnel. Time the only bridge and healer of wounds.

It`s been five years of graduation and two years from the night of the splash and you have not done anything to mend the broken shell. It’s time for you to leave the cave. And I am evr ready and willing to drag you. It’s just an ordinary bet. Real bets happen outside the campus with real life and real life situations. You are never dead but planted to get deeper roots and sprout in due time. You are never extinguished but fanned to let more be lightened, and extinguish darkness to eternity like the sun. There is no perfect way to imprint you name in the sands of time other than the unperceived tragic break and an intentional comeback. What a fortification. All senses in full action. Courageous, planned and focused.

What better time could be more spectacular than sunrise in its gradual process after the cock crow alerting the whole universe on the rebirth of a queen? Queen is meant to rule; Sun to shine; Star to lead the way. Moon to illumine in the dark. There is no perfect time other than now. The Sunnystar Record Labels have accepted your proposals I sent across. Your audition has being accepted and documents signed for your first classic performance. Your records all those years in my set served well.  Light cannot be hidden for long. You never stopped being my soothing voice in turbulent all these years. Soothing more souls, shedding away more darkness in souls got you back on track Miral. Playing your records as recorded in my phone during one of weekend nights in a lightened corner at the party got the scouting manager of SunnyStar Records hungering to get the Star`s signature.

If only the rain could let you see the tears running down my cheek; the eye turned red; swollen face from tears shed for a long time. If only my heart is split open, you could see how speedy it has become like Bolt to the living`s land. If only you could feel my pulse, you would know how alive I have come to be with this comeback news. So many things have I heard in life but few have I pondered. A lot more others have I read up but never experienced. At this moment I have come to be a living witnesses to this most realities Larry. After rain comes sunshine; darkness comes at night but dawn comes with morning; there will always be light at the end of the tunnel. What a great light, powerful in dispelling darkness it has become. You are my light Larry. You have written your name in my heart in mending its broken pieces. So will I write my name in the sands of time. Tomorrow comes the full moon Miral and we would sing to the birds for being there always for you and the next day we keep singing.

Written by: Uzonna Cyril Ifiorah

Email: uzoogod18@gmail.com

June 18, 2020 15:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Batool Hussain
08:35 Jul 01, 2020

Hello! As requested I'm here. This is a very beautiful story. Wonderful:) One thing which you could maybe work on: try spacing on between the paragraphs. A good read:)

Reply

Uzonna Cyril
13:52 Jul 02, 2020

Thanks for the notification. to be effected soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:09 Jun 29, 2020

Hi Uzonna! GREAT story Uzonna! I enjoyed reading your story! Loved it! You have a great potential!😊😉 Keep writing and have a great day Uzonna!❤️️

Reply

Uzonna Cyril
06:48 Jun 30, 2020

it mission accomplished, satisfying my readers and putting smiles on their faces. I am delighted. Thanks for the encouragement Hashini Jivaratnam and feel free to add areas for improvement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Uzonna Cyril
06:48 Jun 30, 2020

it mission accomplished, satisfying my readers and putting smiles on their faces. I am delighted. Thanks for the encouragement Hashini Jivaratnam and feel free to add areas for improvement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Uzonna Cyril
06:48 Jun 30, 2020

it mission accomplished, satisfying my readers and putting smiles on their faces. I am delighted. Thanks for the encouragement Hashini Jivaratnam and feel free to add areas for improvement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 7 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.