1 comment

Adventure Kids Fiction



Tossing, turning, sweating through the night. Waking up every morning listening to the news. Every day, every moment, every hour, and every second you will hear on the news a kid has die from a gunshot. Today was not the day. I cry out asking God why? Our children are born to die before they can live.


Whatever happened to love, peace, understanding and helping a neighbor. So much hate I cannot stand it. There must be a way to save our children. I will plan a trip and invite fifty children to come. The name of the bus is Wings of Shield. We will go to a place of happiness, laughter, and protection. Ha who I am kidding. Just want I kid to see a better place of life. Want to take them away for fourteen days of non-violence. Grandkids, nieces, nephews, God kids, Friends kids, and other children who would like to go.


I called a meeting with everyone who has signed up for the trip. Of course, the parents would say there is no such thing as a peaceful place. It is high violence any where you go. I did not pay them any attention because my thoughts were in a right place. Parents did not have a problem going only they need a getaway. One parent asks if I had a map of where we were going. I plan for us to ride towards the mountains. I look at it as more of a camping sight somewhere away from people.


We have rented a coach bus that can accommodate one-hundred people. The bus was we loaded with food, emergency kit, clothing, campfire kit, games, and water. We made sure every adult had chargers for their phones, flashlights, lanterns, and walkie talkies. Each group leader had five kids they are responsible for.


Everyone is singing, playing games, and telling jokes. The bus driver must find a rest spot before night fall. Children are hungry and sleepy. Finally, we made it to a rest spot. Everyone jumped of the bus and ran around like they were free as a bird. The leaders laid out sleeping bags for anyone who wants to sleep outside. Parents who had smaller children stayed on the bus. You heard so many noises through the night. Few of the children went back on the bus. While everyone is sleeping, I glaze at the stars and moon praying everyone stay safe. As I fell asleep, a cool mist wave over my body. I start to shiver to scare to open my eyes.


Morning came and everyone has woken up rubbing their arms looking around. I wonder if they felt the same thing. After breakfast, we settle ourselves back on the bus. The bus driver sat there for awhile trying to focus through the window. He said, “It looks like it will be hard to drive through this thick fog. You can’t see anything for miles.” We sat on the bus for hours waiting for the fog to clear. We try to get the weather report, but no station has reported Froggy weather. Every station has talked about clear and cloudy skies. In the meantime, we try to keep the children compatible and keep them from being scared. The frog was normal for us, but not hearing on any stations is what was weird to us. The bus driver said, “Hey folks the frog is clearing enough for us to continue. We all let out a big relief and smile.


We drove for five hours looking for another rest stop. We could not find one only because the frog did not go completely away. Kids were saying there are ghost outside, we are looking at heaven, and small children were crying. I felt bad because this turning into a disaster. I found happy children’s songs on my phone, and it calm them down. They start singing and dancing.


The funny thing is we did not see any signs. We were the only ones on the road. We have stop seeing other cars five hours back. You would at least see head lights, but none were seen. We did not know if we should turn around or keep going. We figure we were close to something by now. The bus driver said, “I see something ahead! We can stop and get some rest or figure out what road we on.” The more the bus driver kept driving the thicker the frog became. Suddenly! We drove from thickness to super clear atmosphere. The bus driver stops instantly. Everyone eyes were wide, and mouths drop open. We watch children playing in the streets, neighbors helping each other, people greeting, smiling, doors open to houses, no gates at store windows, house windows, and elders falling asleep in their rocking chairs on the porch. We all are pressing our face against the windows trying to find signs, but there was none. A man was coming towards us waving his hands. The bus driver opens the door. The man said, “We were waiting for you.” I spoke, “What do you mean? No one did not know we were coming. Not even us. We got lost and whine up here.” The man step back and look at the bus sign. “Anyone who drives a bus that says Wings of Shield comes here.” I wave my hands and say, “Okay I’m too tried for this come on children release your legs and move around. The whole town gather around us giving greeting and guiding us where to go. They had a big festival with food, dancing, and music. I seen our children dance, laugh and ate as much as they could.


We took a tour and we saw familiar things we use or go to, but the only difference is no restaurants. They will either have family style at home or banquet tables line down the street so families can join each other. If you had six kids, you have bedrooms according to gender. Three boys or Three girls to a room, but they were large enough to be living rooms. I am watching the children, and they act like they been here forever. We ask where the police department is, fire stations, jails, and hospitals. One lady laugh holding her stomach saying, “We not known of such things. You are far away from the corrupt world. This is a town that is built to get away from destruction.


Whoever rides the bus Wings of Shield brings them here to raise their children to live a long life. They will always have their parents and not lose a loved one.” We all are looking at each other laughing. One parent said, “The name was made up by our group leader.” The woman said laughing, “That is what you all think? I bet all of you are families and not one kid without their parents. It was supposed to be any kid can go.” We look at each other with a puzzle on our face. A man came along saying, “Your dream was for every child to live healthy, safe and not be touch by the bullet. You want them to live a life without fear. You can go back through the frog on the bus Denying My Child’s Life. Those only the two buses that can go and come. When you want to save children the Wings of Shield comes to you when it thinks you are ready. This no heaven, but you be able to live watching your children live. You will watch your grandchildren and your great grandchildren.”


After five days being there, we had another meeting. The meeting was about who was going to stay or leave. Our children express to us they do not want to go back home. They are not scared anymore. We all decide to stay. To see a child being happy every day, not covering their ears or hiding under a bed makes me cry a dance of praise.


The Wings of Shield took us to another world that disconnect themselves from destroying our children. How were we chosen? We just want to say

Thank you!



October 15, 2021 04:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Lin Darroe
16:02 Oct 22, 2021

Very nice and well written story ! I enjoyed reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.