2 comments

General

Dear diary, 

Arielle is exactly one week old now and this all still feels so new and scary to me. I just hope I can be the mother she deserves. Arielle is such a cute little baby, she always smiles when she sees someone new and today I think she reached up to grab my finger. I can't wait to see what happens next. Jeremy bought her some new clothes for the summer, my favourite is a cute little purple skirt with a matching "I love Mommy" white shirt. We've been talking so many pictures, Jeremy wants to take lots of pictures and videos so we can put them together and watch them back years from now or maybe even give the little movie as a gift. Aw, she's crying again, I'll go see if she's hungry. 

~Kara (June 5th 2020) 


Dear diary, 

Arielle is six months old today, she said her first word yesterday. "Vieo" I think she meant to say "video" because she was pointing at the camera Jermey had out. I started to freak out so much I nearly let her fall off the couch. She started crawling a while back, so now she thinks she can go everywhere on her own. I've been scared out of my mind most nights, just praying she won't try and crawl out of her crib. Jeremy is playing peek-a-boo with her, and then I'm going to read her a book, and let her drift off into a peaceful sleep so we can all rest. It's hard being awake at all times. 

~Kara (December 29th 2020)


Dear diary, 

She can run now. She loves running. I love her so much, she tries to read with me now, she picks the book and tells me "Mommy read!" She's the cutest thing in the world. She likes to go to Jeremy's sister's house because they have a dog. Maybe we could get a dog someday. Arielle would love it. Jeremey wants to move into a house, he thinks we don't have much space now that we have a baby, and I agree. We could move closer to our parents, it would be more comforting. I took Arielle on a long drive, we were going to go to the beach but it started to rain. Maybe i'll take her some other day. She fell asleep before we came home so I let her nap in the car for a while to keep her asleep. 

~Kara (August 19th 2021) 


Dear diary, 

I think Arielle is going to have a baby brother or sister soon. We were planning on telling her after the ultrasound, which is soon. She told me she wants someone to play with, I hope she's as excited as me and Jeremy are. We found a new house close to his sister's place, and were moving there in a month, so I've been busy packing boxes. Arielle is helping me, she loves to talk, I gave her a notepad so she could Draw and she wants every single on of her drawings hung up on the fridge. I don't mind, I was thinking of putting magnets at the back of them and we can use them to hang up other things when I find the time. 

~Kara (October 21st 2021)


Dear diary, 

Kara went into labor today, I had to drop Arielle at my sisters place, she was worried about Kara, but I told her nothing was wrong. She had so many questions, but I got her distracted watching some cartoons and we left for the hospital pretty early in the morning. My sister came to check in on us along with Kara's parents close to dinner time. The baby was born at 10pm. We named him Jamie. Arielle was the most excited to see him, she wanted to hold him, he was just like one of her life sized baby dolls, she told us she would be careful, but she was still only two, she was too young. My sister took a video of me and Kara holding our new baby for the first time, something more to add to my family movie. 

-Jeremy (April 1st 2022) 


Dear diary, 

I think Jamie likes Jeremy more than me, he cries all the time. Arielle still plays with him, but she always wants to be near me, so she doesn't get to play with him often. I almost forgot how chaotic the house could be with a baby, but it was a good type of chaotic. So many people came to visit us, and it tiered me out so much, I knew it wouldn't last though, so I made sure I made the most of the company. Sometimes my parents took Arielle to the park, and Jeremy's sister would come over to babysit Jamie so we could have a date night. speaking of which, I think we should have one soon, I think we should take some time to reconnect, everything been so crazy with kids and work, its hard to find alone time. 

~Kara (July 18th 2022)


Dear diary, 

Arielle is four now, her first day of kindergarten is today, she was so excited to make some new friends, and I did not hear the end of it with her all of her stories for just one day. Her teacher encouraged her to start writing in a diary, which I thought was a great idea, we could both carve out time before bed to write about out day. 

~Kara (September 4th 2024) 


Dear diary, 

I went to aunt Jessie's house for the day today, with Jamie, Mommy and Daddy were going on an anniversary trip. Aunt Jessie said it was "long over due". I don't know what she means by that. I miss mommy, but Aunt Jessie said that they would call when they got off the plane. I wish I could go with them, but I have to go to school. I'm still waiting for mommy to call, I told Aunt Jessie I wouldn't sleep until Mommy said good night. 

~Arielle (March 10th 2025) 


Dear diary, 

I cant believe I'm letting Arielle go on her first sleepover birthday party. she's only in first grade, but we've known Andy since the first day of kindergarten. Andy is really becoming like a third child, I love having her around. I'm worried about Arielle though. She's never been over at someones house for a sleepover except for at Jeremy's sister's place. I'm sure she'll have a lot to tell me tomorrow. 

~Kara (January 17th 2026) 


Dear diary, 

I can't wait for my birthday, Mommy told me we were going to go to the spa, just me and her. We don't have a lot of days like that so they're my favourite. Daddy and Jeremy were going to build a fort or something, but me and Mommy were going to have a lot more fun than them. Then, mommy said I could invite Andy and we can watch a movie with the rest of the family. Me and Andy decided we wanted to watch the new fairy princess movie. 

~Arielle (May 22nd 2027) 


Dear diary, 

I convinced Jeremy to let us get a pet cat for Arielle, Andy moved away, and she spends most of her time being sad now, a cat would cheer her up. I went to the pet store and bought her a cute grey cat, and learned all the things I would need to take care of it with Arielle. This would be how we find more time to spend together. I wish we took a picture of the look on her face, she was so happy. It was the happiest I've seen her since Andy moved away. Jamie wanted to keep the cat, but Arielle threw a little fit and as a punishment, I told them both the cat would stay in the living room even though I planned to let Arielle keep her in her room. She named her Lucie. 

~Kara (February 3rd 2029) 


Dear diary, 

Today was my grade five graduation. Mom got me a purple dress with a lot of ruffles and layers for the party. It was so much fun, we took a class trip to the trampoline park, then we got to have a barbecue party back at school, then we had the ceremony, were we all got a rolled up paper that was supposed to be our diploma. Then we had a dance. I danced around with a few different friends, but I went home early. Mom set up a little family dinner party, and she even invited Andy! It was my first time seeing Andy in almost a year, and it really was the best day ever today. 

~Arielle (June 29th 2030) 


Dear diary,

I had to go talk to the principal at Arielle's middle school, she was getting bullied and she didn't tell anyone. Arielle is mad at me now, but the kids who were bullying her got in trouble, and she won't be bullied any longer so it was worth it. She'll be over It in a few days at the most anyways. 

~Kara (November 20th 2032) 


Dear diary, 

It's my first day of high school. My teachers think I'll have more fun here then I did in middle school and I really hope that their right because I had an awful three years. It's only been the first day and I got lost twice, I don't really mind, I made a lot of new friends. My classes seem pretty fun, but its only the first day. I don't have to share a locker with anyone anymore! Art class is the best, were going to start painting tomorrow, and i'm really great at that. 

~Arielle (September 5th 2034) 


Dear diary, 

Arielle came home today and she really had something to tell me, I was surprised and nervous, but I was afraid of what her father would say. Jeremy was always the protective one. "Mom! Neil asked me to the prom!" Neil used to be her friend, but then they stoped talking a long time ago. She went on to tell me that he asked her right in the morning, after homeroom and he looked so nervous. She said she didn't even realize she liked him until he asked her and she realized how sweet he was. I told her not to tell Jeremy yet, I would break the news. I wasn't exactly sure how her father would take his little girl having her first boyfriend. 

~Kara (May 16th 2037) 


Dear diary, 

It's the day after prom night, It was magical. Neil said he loved my dress, it was grey, glittery, and, strapless. I put my hair half up, half down, and we danced the night away. Dad was nervous about tonight, but thankfully mom calmed him down enough to let me go. It didn't stop him from taking thousands of pictures and a video of me walking away into the car with Neil. 

~Arielle (June 10th 2037) 


Dear diary, 

Arielle moved out today, she's moving out to California for university. I've been in tears all day, and for the first night, so is Jeremy. I think it settled in later that she was leaving. I hope she has a good time in California. I hope she comes and visits soon, were going to go in a few days to help her settle in a little more and unpack, but it's hard to imagine nights without her sleeping in the room across from ours. 

~Kara (August 15th 2038) 


Dear diary, 

Neil proposed today, he took me on a boat ride and then when we were in the centre of the lake, he stopped rowing, and got down on one knee and asked me. I was in tears. I love him so much, I jumped up so quickly we almost fell into the lake. It was a good laugh. I said yes and when we got back on land I FaceTimed my mom and showed her the ring, she was in just as many tears as I was, I was going to go back home to visit her soon, and we would all celebrate. 

~Arielle (September 20th 2044) 


Dear diary, 

Arielle is pregnant with out baby girl, I can't wait to be a father. We went to see her parents to break the good news and her father showed me the movie he had been making. I saw baby Arielle, I got to see her grow up. Arielle was embarrassed but it just reminded me how much I love her. 

-Neil (October 31st 2045) 


Dear diary, 

Arielle's baby was born today, I'm so proud of her, she grew up to be such a strong woman, I love her so much. She told me she named her girl Ruby. I broke down in tears so many times today, I got to hold Ruby and tell her how excited I was for her to grow up so I could spoil her.

~Kara (July 31st 2046) 


May 29, 2020 16:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Alton Rook
17:48 Jun 02, 2020

This is very beautiful Ivy. I liked it very much and could relate to the characters. But you made some mistakes with grammar and character speech. I would suggest working on it.

Reply

Ivy Moonlit
19:39 Jun 02, 2020

There were parts that might have been wrong grammar wise because I wanted to make sure the characters sounded different.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.