0 comments

Adventure American Christian

In the streets of Chicago, there was a family that lived in a small, but comfortable house there. They were a family of a mom, dad and a daughter. The daughter's name was Olivia, she was 16 years old. They loved to travel all over Africa to help supply the people with medical supplies. They believed that it was their calling from God. Julie, Olivia's mom, was a nurse. Julie had an open heart and helped anyone that needed it. Liam, Olivia's dad, had worked with the foster industry. Africa was full of kids that needed help and homes with caring parents.

Olivia loved to travel when she was younger, but it got harder and harder for her to go. She had trouble leaving her friends for months on end. Olivia was grateful that her parents were willing to do this for the people, she just didn't think it was her thing.

Although Olivia was always a little hesitant to go on missions, she loved them once she got there. Olivia normally helped the little children in the orphanage. She would give them food and water, and sometimes she would help the nurses and caretakers in the orphanage. Many children in orphanages seem helpless and vulnerable, so Olivia would focus most on telling the children about God and His glory.

One day, when Olivia was helping at the orphanage, she saw this girl in the corner of the room with strange behavior. Olivia walked over and asked her if she needed anything. "No." said the girl. Olivia asked what her name was. "Adrianah" she said. Olivia decided to walk away because Adrianah obviously didn't want much attention. Olivia has seen these kinds of kids, they try to hide their vulnerability and insecurity under snip remarks, and making themselves seem more superior. Olivia had seen kids like these change into completely different people in a good way. They have a hard time with themselves in the orphanage no matter how hard the nurses and caretakers try to help. But once every single child has a chance to start a new life, they change. This change does not start right when they leave the orphanage for a new home. It also can't be forced, the child has to choose to change.

That night, Olivia told her parents about this kid. They talked about how she really needs a new start. Her parents kept an eye out for this kid. Olivia was amazed this barely ever happened. Julie had a heart for this kid like she did everyone, but Adrianah was different. Olivia wasn't sure if she was ready for this, but she decided to give it a try. So after lots of paperwork, meetings, and prayer they finally got to take Adrianah home. At first Olivia wasn't sure about the change. She decided to have an open mind and help Adrianah as much as possible.

One night, Olivia was tossing and turning in her bed, and decided to get a drink. She got up to find that Adrinanah was in the kitchen looking through the cabinets. "Do you need anything?" Olivia asked with her eyes half open. Adrianah turned around, frightened. She quickly closed all the cabinets and ran back to her room. Olivia decided to take a look at what Adrianah was looking at. The medicine cabinet. 'That is weird' Olivia thought. She went to bed that night. The next morning, she told her parents. She explained how she was looking through the medicine cabinet, and how she ran off to her bed when Olivia caught her. Olivia's parents talked to Adrianah. After lots of urging for the truth, Adrianah said that she was looking for drugs. Everyone was shocked. Adrianah said that she would easily sneak them in the orphanage. Sadly, Adrianah was right. Orphanages were very crowded, and caretakers can't watch everybody. Adrianah wouldn't explain how she got the drugs, so that was still a mystery. Julie, being a nurse, was terrified. Julie and Liam told Adrianah that if she felt alone or insecure, she could call on the help of God. He is more powerful than anything we may feel inside.

It took awhile for Adrianah to get over it. She spent some nights screaming and turning in her bed. She relied on the drugs for comfort, and without them she felt alone. Julie concluded that her strange behavior was a result of the drugs. Adrianah had a doctors appointment, and the results of most of the test were negative. A few needed attention, so Adrianah got medication. Julie made sure that Adrianah never overdosed and stayed safe while in their home. Olivia was still trying to figure out the whole deal, and what to think about this. Adrianah would never tell them how long she has been on drugs. Soon Olivia and Adrianah were best friends despite their 8 year age difference. Olivia will never forget the night she just meant to get water, but found Adrianah looking through the kitchen cabinets.

Olivia tried so hard to tell Adrianah about Jesus and the grace that He gives when people admit their sins. Soon Adrianah let Olivia bring her to church, and she started to slowly believe in Jesus. That's when Adrianah's change started. Olivia was so happy. And by age 12 Adrianah accepted God into her heart. Olivia's parents were so proud of Olivia. Adrianah also started making friends, something that she never had at the orphanage. Adrianah changed into a bright young woman that loved helping Olivia when they went back to the orphanage. Adrianah helped other teens cope with their anxiety and depression by sharing her story. When Adrianah was old enough, she moved back to Africa and became a caretaker for the orphanage. This was hard for her, but once she got there, she was so happy that she did. Olivia and her parents kept coming to Africa to help the children and see Adrianah. Adrianah married a man in the building industry, they had 2 kids. Although it wasn't always sunshine and rainbows for them, they made it through.

June 01, 2021 12:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.