The Big Bad Wolf

Submitted into Contest #263 in response to: Write the origin story of a notorious villain.... view prompt

2 comments

Creative Nonfiction Crime Funny

The Big Bad Wolf

The whole world thinks I’m a villain. In fact, in every child’s story, there’s never a happy ending for me. Humans think we're the villains? Please. They clearly haven't met my Aunt Lupina at family gatherings. Parents warn their children to stay away from me. They tell kids to take the three little pigs as role models and take me as trash. The fear of wolves in Europe was so intense that there were actual trials where people were accused of being werewolves. This historical paranoia could be an interesting element to explore. I, as the Big Bad Wolf, am going to prove all people wrong. I myself embroiled in a legal battle that threatens to upend centuries of misunderstanding. I should be known as the Great Role Model to the world. Who has the right to name me the Big Bad Wolf?

Across countless generations, my kind has been vilified in bedtime stories and cautionary tales. We're portrayed as the villains, lurking in shadowed realms and preying on the innocent. People believe that wolves deceive little pigs to eat them. Wrong, that’s just the life cycle and daily diet of wolves. But this portrayal is grievously misguided, it merely reflects the life cycle, dietary habits and daily diet of our species. How can one fault me for partaking of dainty creatures for example bunnies, pigs and hamsters of the world? Oh sure, I'm the bad guy for eating pigs. Meanwhile, humans are out there putting pineapple on pizza. Who's the real monster here?

People think that the three little piglets suffer so much and lose their family members all because of me?! What in the world? Wolves lose family members too, not because of age or getting sick. Have I ever told you the day when together with my family hunting dinner? As I was sneaking up towards a delicious rabbit, suddenly my sensitive ears heard a big bump, then followed by a loud echoing howl becoming faint in the distance. My poor parents have been ran over by a moving object. And guess what? In that very moving object, my good eyesight caught a glimpse of a human. Yes, one of the humans in this world has decided to run over my parents. Unfortunately, it was too late for herbs. All I could do was watch my parent’s life slowly slip away. Feeling their bodies come limp in my paws, my body has vowed to attack any human who comes across my path. Wolves suffer these difficult times too, not just pigs or bunnies. Wolves are considered a keystone species, meaning that we play a crucial role in maintaining the balance of their ecosystems. This scientific understanding could be contrasted with the fairy tale depiction.

All around the world people have read the “Big Bad Wolf and the three little pigs,” right? It was the very first book that wolves were added as a character. However, this book is filled with complete nonsense. So sit down and relax, but pay attention. The trouble began when a development company, the three little pigs began clear-cutting sections of the forest for their new "eco-friendly" housing project. Their glossy brochures promised sustainable living, but conveniently omitted the fact that they were building on protected wolf habitat. As the alpha of my pack, I had no choice but to confront the situation. Our hunting grounds were shrinking, and the ecosystem we helped maintain was falling out of balance. But when I approached the construction site to voice our concerns, chaos ensued. In wolf school, they never teach you how to deal with architecture-savvy pigs. It's all 'how to howl' this and 'pack dynamics' that.

The pigs, who were instructing the structure, seeing nothing but the "big bad wolf" of legend, panicked and darted away. In the ensuing commotion, property was damaged, and suddenly I found myself facing charges of criminal mischief and trespassing, on land that had been my home for generations. The media had been crushed with drama. "Big Bad Wolf Strikes Again!" the headlines screamed, completely ignoring the land rights and environmental protection. Overnight, I became a symbol of the worst villain. Now, as I sit in my den, pouring over legal documents, I can't help but reflect on the irony. The very beings who taught their young to fear us are the ones destroying our home in the name of progress. However I refuse to play the villain in their story any longer. We're taking our case to court, fighting not just for our land, but for a recognition that the world isn't as simple as their fairy tales would have them believe. There are no "big bad wolves", only complex beings trying to survive in a world that's changing faster than we can adapt.

As the trial date approaches, I find myself hoping that perhaps, just perhaps, this legal battle might change the narrative. That children might learn a new story. One where the wolf isn't a mindless predator, but a protector of the forest and its delicate balance. For now, though, I'll keep preparing my defense. After all, in this concrete jungle they've created, sometimes the law of the land trumps the law of the wild and I intend to use every legal tool at my disposal to ensure our voice is finally heard. This isn’t the end yet. I intend to get my revenge, no matter what happens in the future, if humans and pigs do this cruel action to us, we can do it back to them.

So there I was, trying to save my loved ones and family. I had found myself torn between duty and doubt. The story of the Big Bad Wolf wasn’t a simple tale of villainy—it was a complex survival. The story of the Big Bad Wolf isn't over. It's just entering a new chapter, one where "happily ever after" means coexistence, understanding, and respect for all creatures, big and small. However, sometimes I wonder if I'm really cut out for this whole 'big bad wolf' tale. Perhaps I should’ve pursued a different path, accounting, perhaps, where numbers held more certainty than instincts. But destiny had other plans.The true story of The Big Bad Wolf unfolded not in darkness, but in the quiet moments when I chose compassion over aggression. This is the true story of The Big Bad Wolf.


August 17, 2024 00:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Pei Pei Lin
18:34 Sep 04, 2024

A different interpretation. Good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Fredrick Neri
04:42 Aug 23, 2024

I forgot where the search button was, so in search for another thing out of the backlog I found this instead, and I'm glad I did.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.