43 comments

Drama


I rushed into the emergency room, my eyes swarming with tears that slid down my cheeks like a rain cloud lets go of its rain.

“Dad!”, I sobbed, sitting beside my father, his face was sickly pale, and his eyes drooped like as if he were dead and his body was all skin and bones. Although my dad was on airbags, tubes and pipes, I know he could hear me.


“Dad…”, tears streamed like crazy, rolling off my face like thick raindrops.

I reached for my dad’s bony feeble hand, why did he have to get cancer! My mum had her head concealed in her knees; her greying hair spewed all over her face like as if she had gone rabid. She looked up at me, the light mascara she uses, sprawled down her cheeks like black ink and I could see that she was still wearing last week’s clothes.


“Y-you should g-go dear…”, she said between sniffles, I sighed then stood up,

“I’ll get some fresh air”, I gave a readily detectable bogus smile, then gave my dad one last squeeze before I slipped out of the room, I glanced at my dad, his eyes were open, but I could see a tear sliding down his sunken withered cheek. I gave a sorrowful smile before wiping my lingering tears and headed outside.


Grabbing my car keys, I slid through my car door and started the engine. Turning on the Air Conditioner, I rested my head against the wheel and closed my bloodshot eyes, you could say I looked like a frenzied banshee. I heaved in a gush of air and sighed, my dripping wet eyelashes were preparing to be soaked again by my streaming tears. I cried it all out, yes, like a hose, slipping the negativity from my eyes. I thought crying would make me better, but it stayed, I needed memories… yeah… memories.


I stepped through my front door, it seemed deserted to me, I haven’t been home for at least four days, I spent it at the hospital, weeping at my dad’s sick body. He’s going to die! He’s going to die… I crumpled down the wall and began crying into my arms, my denim jacket was soaked wet from tears, I smelt weird, like sweat and grime. Then I realised that I hadn’t showered for 4 days and didn’t change my clothes. Staggering up, I headed towards the bathroom.


I slipped into my loose black tracks and an oversized grey shirt, pulling on some socks and letting my drenched hair free, I got out the garage door, slipping on my Nikes and hopped on my bike, I huffed, letting my blues out. I began to peddle slowly and that slowly turned to fast, the wind slapped against my face, the essence of fresh lawn and lilacs swelled my nose. It clearly tickled the inside hairs. My locks flapped in the breeze, drying itself in the process.


I settled myself by the time I approached the creek, I sat down on the grass at its edge, picking up a flat stone and flipped it against the water, I breathed in the fresh air, then I got lost in my memories…


I was four, dad was a wholesome fellow, his hair was a shady muddy brown that swept to his side smoothly, his eyes were silvery dusk grey, the creases and wrinkles he has now was displaced by a charming smile and dimpled cheeks. I was petite little girl, resembling my dad, he was my best friend, the only person that really appreciated and the only one that could make me laugh.


I learnt how to skip stones here, my dad was the one that taught me. We used to sit here and my dad grinning as my stones plonked inside the lake. I smiled slightly, a small tear slid down my cheek. I sighed then stood up, we used to sit here under the stars, my dad telling me the most ridiculous and the most-funniest stories, we used to laugh like nothing in the world. My dad was my best friend, I wasn’t expecting him to end up with cancer, end up living on tubes and pipes. I walked my bicycle out of the grass and rode back home, enjoying the darkness elope me.


I plopped myself on the couch, sighing. Maybe dad will stay… My gaze snapped and so did my thoughts as my phone rang like crazy. I picked it up, heaving at the contact, MUM.

“Hello…”, I asked, nervousness filling my voice, a bead of sweat formed at my forehead. On the end of the line, I heard sniffles and sobs that ended with a moaning wail.

"M-mum?", I hesitated, my heart racing with anxiety at her silence.

"H-he's gone", she said in a whisper then burst into tears.


My breathing ceased, my heart tore and my eyes became glassy with dewy tears.

"No! This can't be! I'm coming!", I cried, then scrambled to my feet, grabbed my keys and rushed off to the hospital.


I ran, my head pounded with horrid tears, my eyes wrenched and everything was motionless. I reached the emergency room, I found my dad's inanimate body, laying on the bed, his eyes were sealed, his whole body was limp and his pulse was gone, he wasn't breathing. I grabbed his cold, pale skeletal hand then massaged it with my thumbs.

"No! Wake up! Dad! Don't leave me! Please!", I lamented, my heart throbbed and my mind was not binding things around.


I inhaled and staggered out of the room, my feet scarcely supporting me. I retired down on a waiting bench, bawling my eyes out, I struggled to breathe, it must have been stuck in my lungs. I cradled, my legs to my chest, letting my pants absorb my tears.


Then it stopped, I smiled... I thought of cheery old dad, holding my tiny hand as we trudged our way back home in the inky dark night, the stars watching us from above and the rocks we had skipped drifting towards the bed of the lake.


I'll miss you, dad...

October 03, 2020 02:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

43 comments

Noor Ahmed
16:47 Oct 04, 2020

Hey! I really like this story, and like Rachel said, the repetition did throw me off. There is nothing wrong with searching up synonyms for a word! And also like Rhondalise said, change your age, or don't even put one. It would be sad to see you go :( And do you have any social medias? I would like to talk to you outside of here :> You seem so cool with your bio and everything! Stay safe as well, SS!

Reply

Aww... Thank you so much, Noor! Yeah, I should search some up and I'll change my name! Oh... sorry, I don't have one but possibly in the future when my parent's give me permission! After all, you could say I'm pretty young, like not teen yet? Right? Happy Writing though! ~SS PS. I can send you any social media when I get it! Adios!

Reply

Noor Ahmed
23:11 Oct 04, 2020

:))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
08:30 Apr 28, 2021

Title : " Tears and Memories". It is rueful

Reply

Thank you!!!!

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
08:40 Apr 28, 2021

"Wipe away tears" , it should be ,isn't it ?☆(❁‿❁)☆(✿◕ ‿◕ฺ)ノ))。₀: *゜,、’`<(❛ヮ❛✿)>,、’`’`,、٩(✿∂‿∂✿)۶

Reply

Yes... True...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
00:43 Oct 04, 2020

Hi hi, change your age in your bio because you can stop getting your stories approved if the moderators think you may be under 18. Just letting you know. :D Love your story by the way! And I'm a Scorpio since you're interested in zodiac things. My father is a Leo as well. Anyway, yeah, make sure you don't get kicked off, that would be a yikes spikes situation.

Reply

Oh ok! I'll change it! Thanks! You're a Scorpio! Cool! *Grins Happy Writing! ~SS

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
08:43 Apr 28, 2021

I am Aries and pisces both stars qualities are merge into me , ★~(◡﹏⊙✿)★~(◠‿◕✿)★~(◠△◕✿)★~(◠﹏⊙✿)˚✧₊⁎❝᷀ົཽ≀ˍ̮ ❝᷀ົཽ⁎⁺˳✧༚*+:꒰◍•ᴗ•◍꒱:+*╰(✿´⌣`✿)╯♡

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
08:46 Apr 28, 2021

Your star name ??

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
09:33 Apr 28, 2021

Wow leo

Reply

Yeah! But if we're talking just stars which would you be?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
00:19 Oct 04, 2020

What an emotional, sad sad piece of writing. This was really good. And sad. I loved it though. I like how you went through the emotions she was feelings and everything the ending was super sad but you put it beautifully. Since the day you followed me I wanted to check out your stories but I as busy. I'm glad I finally did. Great job SS! Keep writing!

Reply

Thank you so much Ugochi! I'm glad you liked it!!! Happy Writing! ~SS

Reply

21:20 Oct 04, 2020

Of course!!

Reply

21:30 Oct 04, 2020

Oh can you read one of my stories if you want of course thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
05:51 Jun 16, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Hi Sienna :) Thank you so much, I really appreciate your comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emaan Kamran
12:40 Oct 29, 2020

Awesome ❤️ Check out my story as well and tell me how it was in the comments section.

Reply

THANK YOU! I'll definitely check it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angel {Readsy}
08:46 Apr 28, 2021

Sure, my pleasure,(。・‧̫・。).**♡(✿◕ ‿◕ฺ)ノ))。₀: *゜❀.(*´◡`*)❀.°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
. .
22:32 Oct 04, 2020

Hi! Sorry, I've been super inactive but I'm here now. I changed my name to this because of the same thing Rhondalise said. The story was so sad yet so heartfelt! I think I know who the downvoter is because the person downvoted my points as well as urs on my stories. I don't know for sure but the person has been a bit Idk how to explain it but they've been a bit 'needy'. I can't say the person because if not it would be really awkward and that would suck- Enough about that... The story really shows how important family is to us. I got a tad...

Reply

Thanks, El! Glad you liked my emotional piece! I was actually inspired to write this as a tribute type of thing to my dear grandpa that, well passed away recently... But yeah! Thanks again for your sweetness! Wow, you know who's the real downvoter! (NOT MIA) Cool! Thanks again! Happy Writing! ~SS

Reply

. .
09:26 Oct 05, 2020

Awwe that's so sad to hear. I'm sure he's proud of you <333 I have a feeling I know who it is but it might all be a coincidence! Btw do you have Allpoetry? I recently got it but never post and well it's basically Reedsy with poems. Stay safe! -El

Reply

It's fine... And thanks! Do you know who? Nah, I don't yet but maybe next week, after school stuff! Happy Writing! ~SS

Reply

. .
22:04 Oct 05, 2020

I think I know but I'm probably only 60 % sure. I think it's the same down voter because most of your comments on my stories are downvoted as well as my replies.

Reply

Oh, ok! That's interesting... who's the suspect? That is, if you want to tell me!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
08:47 Apr 28, 2021

Upvoting upvoting Up voting Upvoting upvoting Up voting Upvoting upvoting Up voting

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
08:20 Oct 03, 2020

Wow! I really liked this story. Beautiful descriptions. Nice storyline. One piece of advice, it sounds I LOT better if you try and not repeat the same word again and again. I know repitition is a technique but, it doesn’t sound very well in descriptions. In this case you used the word ‘mad’ a lot of times near the start. As you might know, words like mad, sad, good, these words aren’t very strong so maybe another word you could’ve used is maybe... insane, demented is a good one, lunatic, even crazy is fine. Just a suggestion. I’m sorry i...

Reply

Thank you so much, Rachel! Thanks for the advice! It'll be helpful!

Reply

08:31 Oct 03, 2020

Np

Reply

Show 0 replies
08:31 Oct 03, 2020

Wow speedy reply

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.