2 comments

Black Christian Fantasy

The Richardson, the wealthiest family in Linstead, Jamaica, had decided to host a barbecue. Twins, Sean and Sadie were arguing over which juice to take from a cooler when a car swerved into the driveway.

A woman came out of the old station wagon, with rollers in her hair and yard slippers on her feet. "Trevor! Trevor!"

“Let’s go to the back,” Sean said. The back was where the other kids were, playing water sports.

Sadie wanted to get in on the action. She pushed through the throng of people that had now encircled the woman.

 “Trevor, what did you do with my daughter? Where is Tashika?” the woman yelled. "You came all the way to Kingston to take my child." Linstead was a district in the parish of Saint Catherine in Jamaica but Kingston was it's capital.

The crowd parted and a tall, slender, fair-skinned woman stepped forward. “Hi. I’m Mrs. Richardson. What is the matter, ma’am?”

“Tell your good-for-nothing son to bring back my daughter to Kingston. You think I don’t know about you.”

Mrs. Richardson pulled herself up to her full height. “What exactly do you know?”

The woman wrung her neck like a snake weaving around a tree. “Everyone knows your dirty secret."

Mrs. Richardson stiffened. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.” She turned her back on the woman. “Security, please get this vagabond off my property!"

The woman pushed forward but the security guard grabbed her hand. "Time to go."

“This dirty Jezebel isn’t easy." The woman dug her heels in. “Let me tell you something. These people only came here because they didn’t want to be your targets.”

Sadie eyed Mrs. Richardson as her eyes surveyed her friends and family. Sadie scoffed as they pretended to study their meals and limbs. What a bunch of losers! Her Grandma Keturah had told her and Sean that the Richardsons were some of the nicest people in the district. It seemed her grandma, who was busy helping in the Richardsons' kitchen, was the only one who thought so.

“Well, is nobody going to say it,” said a buxom figure with a wide stance and a mean face.

Mrs. Richardson gripped her necklace. “Patricia.”

“Who is she?” Sadie asked the woman next to her.

Her query was met with, “Her best friend.”

Sadie grimaced. The woman named Patricia cocked her hip, folded her arms and said, “The vagabond is my cousin. Tashika is my niece and we all know you became wealthy through obeah. It's the only reason your crops prospered even when the rest of us struggled.” There were several nods and murmurings.

Mrs. Richardson fisted her hands at her sides. “We built everything we have by blood, sweat, and tears.”

“You got wealthy off the backs of our ancestors,” a young man said. Sadie recognized him. His name was Danny. He had visited her home the day after her crush, Jarvis, had mysteriously left her grandmother's farm.

Mr. Richardson stepped forward. Sadie hadn’t noticed his presence before then. “Everyone who believes we are obeah workers or owe you and your ancestors something, please leave.” No one moved. “Get off my property!" Half the party filed out of the Richardsons' front yard then. Mrs. Richardson grabbed a drink from a cooler and headed into her house, banging the grill on her way in.


*****


“The village lawyers will be grinding the gossip mill for the next decade,” Grandma Keturah said as they made their way down the lane to her house. Their ride had stopped at the top of the lane, leaving a long walk to the house. 

Grandma Keturah had a bag with utensils she had brought to the event, and each child carried a bag. Sean's bag contained food for stray dogs while Sadie carried the bag with leftovers. Sadie and Sean had marveled at the leftovers for they'd been given rice and peas, pork, jerked chicken, curried goat, steamed fish, callaloo, and ackee and saltfish.

“Obeah is a terrible accusation, Grandma. Isn’t that woman afraid of a defamation lawsuit?” said Sean, when they got inside the house. Sadie rolled her eyes. Trust him to use big words to impress Grandma Keturah, so she could call him bright. Everyone knew he wanted to be a lawyer. He didn’t have to show it off all the time.

“Makes no sense suing a woman of no means,” Grandma Keturah said.

“But you can’t just go around saying people are involved in witchcraft without evidence,” he said.

“It’s not like they denied it,” said Sadie.           

“All right, Sherlock Holmes,” Sean said.

At her grandmother's glance, Sadie bit her tongue and allowed her retort to die. “I’m going outside to take pictures,” she said, placing her bag on the counter. Grandma Keturah eyed Sean and inclined her head in Sadie’s direction.

“Seriously,” he said.

“You’ve got to protect your sister. Times aren’t like before. Nobody knows what happened to Tashika and I would hate if something bad happened to Sadie.”

“A crocodile could grab her for all I care,” he muttered.

“Right back at you,” Sadie said.

Grandma Keturah sighed and pulled them both to her sides. “Ah! What am I going to do with you two? Try not to kill each other while you’re outside.” She released Sean. “Sadie, please stay out of the road. I don’t know what I’ll tell your parents if you got run over by a car.”

*****

“You had to be a tattle tale don’t ya?” she said, tramping through the backyard. It was just like her brother to talk about her near accident several days ago.

Her brother trailed behind her. “How many times must I tell you I never told her anything?”

She turned around to face him. “You’re saying that because you don’t want me to whoop you.”

Sean rolled his head back and guffawed. “You, whoop me? You’re five-three.”

 “Okay, giant,” she said, and then she paused.

“Sadie,” her brother touched her arm. “She hadn’t gotten over a previous battle with a giant that had escaped through the fabric of time. They'd sent the beast back but she kept dreaming of falling. What if Jarvis wasn't there to save me? She thought of her crush who had caught her. Pity, she hadn't seen him since.

Sadie shook herself. “I’ll get over it.” She raised her camera to the sky. “You’re looking lovely today,” she said. Click! Click!

“Did you know they speak?”

 Sadie squealed. “Jarvis!”

He placed a finger on his lips and beckoned that they should follow him. Sadie raced after him.

“Where have you been?” she asked when she caught up to him.

“You can't be that dense,” Sean said behind them.

Jarvis turned reproving eyes on her brother. “That is not kind. I went home he said.”

Realization dawned on Sadie. “ As in—”

 “Yes.”

“Angel.”

“You guessed it.”

Sadie’s cheeks grew hot. Last week, they'd battled an abominable being that had been the product of an angel marrying a human - an abominable deed - and there she was seeing her future in Jarvis’ eyes.

“Why did you come back?” Sean asked.

“There’s another mission,” said a familiar voice

“You again,” Sadie said, pointing her finger at the cherub, named Yael.

“If you call me ghost one more time," he said, recalling their last encounter.

“Apparition,” she stole a glance at Sean. I know big words too, her eyes said.

Sean turned to Yael. “Is this going to be a regular thing cause we’re only kids.”

“There’s no such thing as only kids,” said Yael. “Josiah became king over Israel when he was eight years old. You're fourteen. God told Jeremiah he was never to say he was only a child but that he should go to everyone as sent.”

“Fine,” Sean said, “what’s the mission?”

“This,” Yael said.

“Is that someone crying?” Sadie asked. There, on her grandmother's green grass, sat a young lady, with her legs pulled up to her chest, sniffling.

"Hey." Sadie went to her but met with a force field and was thrown backward. Jarvis caught her before she fell to the ground. When he released her, she stepped away from him embarrassed.

“I know her," Sean said. “That’s Tashika. What is she doing there?”

“Is the rumor true – the one about the Richardsons?” Sadie asked Yael.

“Tashika was kidnapped,” he said.

“There is a curse on the Richardsons,” Jarvis said. “His great-grandfather had been unwilling to sell his property to a developer. The man went to a witch. After that, the Richardson’s wealth came at the expense of the barrenness of their women.”

“Can people do that?” Sadie asked, trembling.

“People do far worse,” said Yael.

“Is Mr. Richardson adopted?” asked Sean.

Jarvis nodded.

“But before Tashika met Trevor, God promised her that she would be the mother of many children. It has also been confirmed that her husband will be Trevor,” Yael said.

Sadie thought of the behaviour of the mother and aunt. They'll have lots of family issues to resolve.

“So to stop the promise from coming to pass they took her away,” added Jarvis.

Sadie felt anger boiling inside of her. “We’re ready. What must we do?”

“Sadie,” Sean cautioned.

“If it were me and they had the means to help, I would want the help,” she said.

“This is heavy. Why aren’t you talking to adults?” asked Sean.

“God is doing a new thing,” Yael said, “and it includes children.”

“What must we do?” Sean asked.

“Fast and pray for three days," Yael said.

Sadie nearly keeled over. She had plans for the meals inside the refrigerator.

“Do you recall your devotion this morning with your grandmother?”

Sadie nodded. “We learned about the power of prayer and fasting. That was what Esther used to defeat Haman and in the Book of Luke, Jesus told his disciples that the boy with the seizures were healed, because Jesus had a life of prayer and fasting.”

“It is the same with this one. Some things can only be broken through sacrifice. The Richardsons will be praying and fasting too. Tomorrow your grandmother will announce that she will be fasting. She will invite you two to join, from 6:00 am – 6:00 pm each day. You must join her. During that time, you must be united. No more bickering,” Yael said. “Study the book of Esther and pray that Tashika reaches home safely. Sadie, expect an encounter. You’ll have to walk the path of Esther.”

Sadie pressed her hand to her chest, “That if I perish, I perish?”

“No. You have the ring, don’t you?” Yael asked.

She nodded. She had used it to defeat a giant. “You will need it to seal a decree.”

“What about me?” Sean asked.

“Tomorrow night, you’ll get a song. On the third night, at midnight, sing it over your sister.”


******


The next day happened as Yael had said. Grandma Keturah announced a fast and invited the twins to join. They smiled and exchanged stares when she announced that the book of choice was Esther. The Book of Esther was about a Jewish girl who became queen of Persia. In the story, Esther defended her people from the villain, Haman.

After devotion with Grandma Keturah, the twins prayed for the curse to break over the Richardsons’ and Tashika’s lives. They repeated the same exercise after lunch hour devotion. Around 2:00 pm, Sadie found herself straying to the refrigerator. Sean, being the more disciplined twin, had to escort her away. After their final prayer at 6:00 pm, Sadie dashed to the refrigerator and grabbed the first thing her hand landed on – an apple

“In this house, we break our fasts with tea,” said Grandma Keturah.

“I’m dying,” Sadie pretended to faint.

“You may have a cracker.” Sadie opened her mouth to argue but snapped it shut when she saw her grandmother’s expression.


*****


“Sadie, I got it,” Sean said, flinging open the notebook he’d gone to bed with. His hand felt around his bed for a pen. “Sadie, wake up!”

“What!”

“The song.” Sean’s hand flew across the page as he hummed the tune. She waited until he finished.

“Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I’ll fear no evil. Demons fall before me. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, thank God for mercy. Curses are broken. Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I got the victory. Satan’s defeated.”

“You’re a terrible singer but the lyric is good,” Sadie said.

Sean sailed the pen at her. “Go back to bed.”

“With pleasure.”


*****


Sadie shook. It was the third night and she was about to have the encounter.

“Ready, sis?" Sean asked.

“As I’ll ever be,” she said, pulling her sheet to her chin.

No sooner had she closed her eyes, than Sadie felt herself being pulled through the mattress and shot forward. She landed on a plateau made of rock. All around her was eerie, dark, and rocky – literally. She was surrounded by tall rock formations, some of which housed caves.

She looked at herself and realized she was dressed in full body armor. She felt strong, powerful even.

“Get off the rock,” she heard a voice say. It appeared to be coming from within. Her parents had told her about this voice. She could trust this voice.

“Help me, Holy Spirit,” she said. She jumped from the plateau, at the same time as a mammoth monster sent fire demolishing the structure.

Sadie landed on an odd shaped rock, close to a cave. She dashed inside. A ball of fire whooshed past the entrance. “What. Did. I. Get. Myself. Into?” she said, pressing her hand to her chest.

“Do not fear,” the voice said. “Keep moving.”

Sadie couldn’t move. She was paralyzed. “Ah, there you are,” said the beast. He’d somehow reduced his size to that of a human being to fit into the cave. He marched toward her.

“The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear,” Sadie whispered.

“You, poor thing. You’re trembling.”

“Don’t listen to him. Keep speaking.”

“The Lord is the strength of my life of whom shall I be afraid. When the wicked even mine eyes come to eat up my flesh they shall--”

“Enough!” he said. Slimy arms clamped around her throat. “God must be running out of options, if he sent you.”

Sadie felt the power drained from her body as her armor faded. The beast dragged her out of the cave like a sack of potatoes then shoved her into the arms of one of his minions. “Prepare her for supper.”

 “She’s not a babe, Molech,” the beast said.

“Do it!” Molech ordered.

 “Yes, my Lord.”

 Sean, where are you? I hope you’re not sleeping.

 “So, how’d you get in?” the minion asked as he bound her hands.

 “None of your business.”

 “This one’s got a smart mouth, ain’t it?" said the minion.

 “The first thing I’m going to do is cut out her tongue.” Sadie hadn’t noticed the other minion. He held up a knife to her eyes and she shuddered. “You were saying?”

“Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I’ll fear no evil.” Sean. His voice was faint – hoarse even.

Her captors started to back away even as she could feel strength re-entering her body. “What is that?” said the first minion. “And why is she glowing?”

 “Demons fall before me. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,” Sean sang. “Thank God for mercy, curses are broken. Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I got the victory. Satan’s defeated.”

The rope fell off Sadie's hands. Her armour reappeared, and she drew her sword. “What did you say about cutting out my tongue?”

The demon squeaked and dropped his knife. “Nothing.”

“Get out!” she ordered and they sprung ugly bat wings and disappeared.

 “Molech!” Sadie screamed. Her words echoed off the rocks and carried throughout the dreary world.

 “Yes, supper.” She spun around. He was in the air. His blood-red eyes glared at her with malevolence. Her brother’s voice in the background gave her comfort.

“I wasn’t finished,” she said. “I fear no evil. I command you –

“You can’t command me.” He lifted his hand as if to push her back against the rocks but she planted her sword in the ground and stood her ground. 

“in the name of Jesus, release Tashika and the Richardsons.” Sadie observed that at the mention of the name of Jesus he fell to a kneeling posture, while in the air. To her surprise, Sadie felt herself being levitated. “Your curse is broken.” No sooner had she said the words than a large scroll and pen descended from the sky, and she was brought to it. “I write a new law before you, heaven, earth, and hell today," she heard herself saying. "You’re no longer permitted to touch this family as long as they live.” She spoke as she wrote then pressed the ring to the end of the scroll. The scroll rolled up and disappeared into the dark skies.

 “Who are you?” the timid creature asked.

“I’m a daughter of Yahweh, and I command you to give up your seat in this family.”

“You can have them,” he said then turned away. The rocks beneath them began to shake and disintegrate. Creatures came out of their caves and flew away. 

When Sadie awoke, her brother was next to her. “Did we do it?”

She nodded and smiled. “We did.”

To be continued...




July 19, 2024 20:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

William Siebold
21:18 Jul 24, 2024

Thank you for submitting this story. Fantasy is not a genre I'm familiar with -- I don't write fantasy so I have to beg some inexperience with my critique. You have a good narrative flow. Two things that occurred to me: 1) I had to re-read a couple paragraphs (starting around "You had to be a tattle-tale...") to catch up with you as you transitioned into the children's fantasy part. 2) You might consider at more pronounced narrative arch, with a climatic scene / event around the 1/2 to 2/3 mark. I've read writing instructors who advocate...

Reply

Claudine Bailey
00:17 Jul 29, 2024

Thank you. Your comment is well received.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.