1 comment

Drama Funny Romance

Kayla Jackson was the youngest of nine grandchildren anong four siblings gathered in the office of Samuel Baylor, the attorney appointed over her estate.

"Hello, I'm Samuel Baylor. I was in charge of Ms. Adele's estate for the past seven years..."

Kayla shifted in her seat. The times she'd driven her grandmother to various appointments. Between the double D's of Diabetes and Dementia, Adele Jackson had her share of problems. Kayla knew firsthand. She took her grandmother everywhere. That included the few times they visited Sam. Everytime they'd visit, Adele would laugh, joke or smile...

"Grandma, we're here."

"Where's here?"

"You wanted to see Mister Baylor about the will."

"Oh yes, Dear, I remember now. If you don't mind me saying it, Mister Baylor is quite the catch. If I were younger,"

Kayla's eyes widened.

"Grandma!"

"Sweetheart, I'm old, not dead. I need to take in everything I can before my eyes close for good. Mister Baylor gives me something happy to look at when I see one thing from him."

Kayla looks perplexed at Adele.

"What's that, Grandma?"

"I see how he looks at you. I may be old. I might be sick, but I know love when I see it. Now, are we almost there?"

Kayla laughs as they approach the small building. Walking out, Samuel meets them.

"Adele, tis a pleasure ta see ya. Who made ya cross thes time?"

His Irish brogue brought a smile to Adele's face.

"You kmow me well, Sam. It's my granddaughter, Adelaide. She came to my house fully expecting me to give her ten grand for an ass lift. It's not my fault she doesn't have a curvy body like Kayla here."

The rose coloring crept up Kayla's face.

Samuel laughed.

"Adele, you never cease to amaze me. I'm assuming that Kayla takes care of you."

"Yes, sir; on top of going to school full time, and working full time."

Samuel looks adoringly at Kayla.

"How do you manage all of it?"

"An amazing liason at school, supportive workplace, the FMLA and Grandma's case manager. Don't let my Grandma fool you. I'm not an angel by any stretch of the imagination. I just happen to want the best for my grandmother. My family seems to think that she's frail and incapable of taking care of herself. This same family seems to think I'm incapable of handling my life load. My mother, Grandma's youngest daughter, died when I was 15. I never knew my father. My grandma raised me after all that. No one in my family bothered with me. I wasn't rich. I was, by their accounting, a failure because I didn't get married straight out of high school to my sweetheart..."

Samuel listened compelled.

"I'm sorry. You didn't ask for my life history. I'll shut up now."

The rose color slowly reappeared on Kayla's face.

"You know, Sam, Kayla likes this little Italian restaurant near here. I bet she'd like to hear more about your upbringing."

Sam winked slyly. He turned to Adele and with a smirk, said,

"Ms. Adele, are you trying to get me to date your granddaughter?"

"I'm doing no such thing, Samuel. I'm merely making sure two of my favorite people in the world are happy. Cater to a daft old woman for the briefest of moments."

Adele laughed. Kayla's blush never leaving her face.

"I'll see it gets done. Adele."

"Which part? The meeting my granddaughter without my looney bum behind ya or the addendum?"

Samuel chuckled.

"Both. I'll see you next week, Ms. Adele. Kayla, was it? Might I have a moment of your time?"

Adele grinned.

"Go! I can get myself in the car."

Kayla followed Samuel.

"Your Nan is a spirited woman. I would love to take you for dinner. Here's my card. I'm free every weeknight after six and every weekend. I'll let you make the call. Good day, Kayla."

He kissed her hand gently and returned to his office. A few days later, Samuel received Kayla's call, but it wasn't for dinner.

"Well, hello Kayla! This is a pleasant surprise."

Kayla erupted into tears.

"She's gone. I went to wake her and..."

"I'll be there in a hurry."

Time didn't pass as slow as Samuel thought. As he pulled up to the house, paramedics pulled a gurney through the front door. Sam rushed to Kayla's side.

"Christine came with my gran's meds. When Chris went inside, she saw my grandma.."

Kayla choked back sobs. Samuel wrapped his arms around her.

"Your grandma pre-arranged everything. I'm glad you called me."

"Honestly, I didn't know who else to call. I don't have anyone else right now... She was my world."

Kayla sobbed uncontrollably in Samuel's arms.

"It's going to be okay, Kayla. I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

After calls were made, Samuel took Kayla to the restaurant her grandmother suggested.

"Order whatever looks good. If you don't feel like eating, we don't have to eat. We can sit here, talk, drink and do whatever you want to do."

Kayla looked into Samuel's eyes.

"A bottle of wine and some Tiramisu."

"I like that idea. Do you need to go to work or anything?"

"No. I called people when you did. I'm out of work and school for a while. I'll figure out living expenses in the morning."

Samuel smiled as he waved the for waiter.

"Good evening, what can I get for you?"

"A bottle of Dom Perignon Brut Rosé 2004 and four pieces of Tiramisu."

"Excellent. I'll bring those to you shortly." The waiter replied.

"Sam.. I can't afford.."

"Who says you're paying?"

Kayla smiled. After dessert and conversation, Samuel took Kayla back to her apartment. A few days later, appearing in her favorite black dress and simple high heeled shoes, Kayla stood in the foyer of the funeral home. Appearing in a black suit and tie, Samuel strode into view.

"I'm glad you're here. I can't do this. They're all staring at me."

"It's going to be okay. Just think of the dinner I'm taking you to after this."

"My grandma would be thrilled."

As members of the family piled into tbe church, the ceremony started. Kayla watched as people passed by her grandmother, not noticing her. It ended as surely as Samuel said. After a relaxing night with Sam, Kayla returned home.

The next morning, Sam took Kayla aside briefly before anyone appeared.

"This will all end as it should. I know it."

He kissed her forehead, then led her to a leather sofa. People arrived promptly. Among them, Kayla's cousin Adelaide.

"You know, she always loved me best. She just hired you.. Chunky."

A smug smile crossed Adelaide's blood red lips.

"Hello, I'm Samuel Baylor. I was Ms. Adele's attorney for the past seven years. I've been appointed executor of the will. She left everything on this DVD."

He pressed "play" on the machine. Adele's face appeared.

"To my oh so loving family, Please know I am of sound mind and body when I say these next few things. Mister Baylor can attest to my mental faculties. They're documented in case anyone disputes this.

To my three remaing children, you saw no reason to help your ailing sister or her child when that bastard left them with nothing. Therefore, I leave you the same, not a damn thing. All of you are well off so you don't need me to care for you.

Now, onto my grandchildren, there are words for you. Ungrateful, entitled, expectant, and frivolous being what come to my mind right now. If I needed help with anything; even as much as a phone call on my birthday, not a one of the eight of you who have management jobs or stay home could be arsed to do it! Therefore, because you thought nothing of me unless you wanted something, I'm leaving you with that same measure of thought. I left nothing for you. Enjoy your lives."

The mass was in an uproar.

"This isn't fair!" One woman said.

"We'll sue!" A couple exclaimed.

"Feel free. A judge even declared this is iron clad." Sam said.

Adelaide looked at Kayla.

"Why wasn't SHE mentioned?"

Sam looked at the assembly.

"There's more to this, however, Adele made it crystal clear that none of you are privy to the outcome."

Fuming, Adelaide looked at Kayla.

"YOU get everything?! NO! NO NO NO!"

Samuel looked at the assembly.

"These were Adele's wishes. Everything she has, including all monies, property and liquidatable assets go to Kayla. The matter can't be disputed."

Adelaide's screech started the procession out of the office. Sam wrapped his arms around her.

"I just became.."

"A very rich woman." Sam said.

Sam pressed play.

"My darling Kayla, your life was far from simple, Dear. Now, I can only hope I've made it easier. Trust me, Sam is a great man. He'll help you get settled. I love you."

Kayla started to cry. Looking into Sam's piercing blue eyes, she says the only thing in her head.

"Can we get tacos?"

He laughs into her hair.

"Absolutely."


One year later..

"By the power vested in me by God and the great state of Massachusetts, I pronounce you husband and wife."

Sam kisses Kayla sweetly in front of 30 other couples at the courthouse. Valentine's day...




August 31, 2020 10:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Elle Clark
06:41 Sep 06, 2020

What a sweet story! I’m so happy that Kayla and Sam ended up together.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.