1 comment

Drama Contemporary

Tropical Cures

Wheels touched down on the black tarmac, shimmering in the tropical sun. Sally breathed a sigh of relief. She hated flying. Images of planes and people falling from the sky kept her from sleeping the entire flight. Sally had planned for this trip of a lifetime. She’d saved every cent from her mediocre server job to feel the humid sun on her skin.

The plane jolted to a stop and Sally gripped her bag so hard; it threatened to cut her fingers in half. The woman next to her smiled kindly and stood to get her items from the overhead compartment. Sally forced air through her terror, seized lungs and concentrated on relaxing her knuckles one by one. When she finished, the doors had opened and people were disembarking. She envied their laughter and general air of those who didn’t stress about anything.

She should be like that, she reminded herself. This was a vacation. A time to relax and experience life outside the greasy walls of the diner and her small apartment.

It was her turn to get up and walk down that long aisle to freedom. When she stepped outside the tin can, she paused and took a deep breath. The smell of spicy flowers, humid air, and something delicious filled her nose. The elusive sensation of relaxation ran through her when she descended to the blacktop. A few locals were standing at the bottom, waiting to greet the visitors with a flower and lively drumming. 

After she tucked the flower behind her ear, Sally turned her hazel eyes toward the mountains in the distance. They were covered in such vibrant and dense greenery; it looked like a painting. Taking another deep breath, she went to the cart where her poor bag was waiting, and walked through the modest airport lobby. Her hotel had confirmed there would be someone waiting for her on the other side of the lobby.

Sally spots a woman with a sign, “Hyatt Hotel - Moore” Sally walked toward her. She appreciated they used her last name.

“I’m Sally Moore.” Sally forced her voice to be steady. 

She smiled, “Welcome to the Maldives Ms. Moore. May I help you with your luggage?”

Sally shook her head, “I’ve got everything right here.” She lifted her bag.

The woman nodded and gestured for her to follow. “It’s a pleasure to have you stay with us, we have a concierge who can help you find anything you wish to do or see. It’s complimentary with your stay.”

The woman stopped in front of a small golf cart vehicle, decked out in the hotel’s colors and large logo on the front. It was the cutest thing Sally had seen. “It’s a ten-minute ride to the hotel. The scenery is beautiful. I’m Linda.”

“Nice to meet you, and thank you.” Sally replied, settling into the seat with her bags between her legs. “I’m so excited to be here.” It would be so nice to be alone, and be unknown. 

*

The hotel lobby was beautiful, typical in its furnishings for a tropical island. All of that slipped by Sally as she stared at the receptionist in shock and unease.

“What do you mean, I’m sharing a suite with someone?” Panic edged Sally’s words, her anxiety spiking.

“When choosing the budget option, Ms. Moore, you agreed to room sharing to cut the cost of your stay with us.” The lady, whose name tag said Jean, replied.

“I thought I was staying in a room by myself.” Sally said, the room spinning.

“I’m sorry, ma’am. If you wish to room alone, it’ll be an extra $150 a night.” Jean's face held genuine concern.

Taking several breaths to stop the black haze from growing bigger, Sally’s heart sunk. That would take all her money, and she wouldn’t be able to eat, let alone do anything while here. “I can’t afford that…”

Jean leaned forward and laid a gentle hand on Sally’s. “We strive to ensure your safety, and if your roommate causes you trouble, please let us know.”

Sally could only nod as Jean went on about things the hotel offers for its guests. She finally handed her a key and signalled a bellhop.

Sally followed numbly behind the young man, whose name she didn’t catch, to her room. Her shared room. She didn’t even ask if it was a woman or man. Anxiety ate at her bravery and vow to enjoy herself.

“Your room, Ms. Moore.” The boy said, his smile covered his face with warmth.

“Thank you.”

Sally slid the key in and pushed the door open. Gasping, she laid a hand to her throat. The room was so airy and fragrant. Tall windows to the personal balcony were open, the sheer curtains billowing in the breeze. Wicker and bamboo furniture invited a person to sit and enjoy the view. A side table held fresh fruits, nuts, juices, and pamphlets on the island. Two doors opposite each other brought Sally back to her predicament.

“Excuse me,” She said, catching the boy before he left. “How do I know which room is mine?”

His eyes flicked between the doors and Sally, eyes kind and full of youthful confidence. “I’ll check to see if the other guest has arrived?” He gestured to the doors, and Sally nodded, breathing a sigh of relief. He tucked his head into one room, and then the other, and grinned when he walked toward her. “They are both empty, ma’am. You are first here, you get to choose.”

Sally thanked him and stood still when he left.

She was in the Maldives, truly on vacation. She would share a suite with someone she didn’t know. Raising icy fingers to her brow, she concentrated on the deep breathing exercises she’d found on the internet at her friend’s house. In and out, imagining the very tropics she was in. Visualization and deep breathing helped her when she could do it. She could feel her body losing its grip on fight-or-flight urges. Slowly she opened her eyes and smiled.

“Little Sally is in the Maldives.” She whispered.

Choosing the room on the left, sight unseen, she opened the door. The room was beautiful, and it had an ensuite bathroom. The bed took center stage, its crisp white linen folded to perfection and inviting. A bouquet waited for her on the fabric. A small wicker table and chair sat next to the tall windows. Nestled in the vaulted ceiling, a fan spun lazily. On impulse, she checked her door and found that it locked from the inside.

Leaning against the wall next to the door, she released a long breath. The bathroom was open for anyone to see, clear glass the only separation between rooms. Heat covered her cheeks, imagining someone there watching her shower. She wouldn’t be able to do it. She’d been shy since the day she was born. Her mama said she’d had an innate sense of privacy.

She moved away from the wall, running a hand over the bedspread. It’s soft texture comforted her. She’d felt nothing so fine. This was a fantasy come true.

For six days she’d be living like a queen, and no one the wiser to her poorer status. Her lips curled up with a small smile, and she let out an uncharacteristic hop dance of excitement.

Suddenly the front room filled with voices and flurries of activities. Sally’s anxiety slammed back, nearly doubling her over with its intensity. Through the clamor of her racing heart, she could hear female and male voices. There were over two, why was there more than two? She forced air through her lungs and slumped down on her bed. Lost in the battle within, she cursed the fact she had this debilitating anxiety. The next thing she knew, a kind face was next to her, coaching her through breathing and attempting to calm her down.

It was a woman, a beautiful one. Her skin was rich and velvety smooth. Everything about her face said she smiled often and laughed as much. Her hair in colorful braids, and long down her back and a touch wild. They were beautiful.

“You’re having an anxiety attack?” The woman asked, her brow furrowed.

Sally jerked her chin once and struggled to focus on anything other than her racing thoughts and heart.

“Oh, girl. I’m so sorry.” The woman settled herself at Sally’s side and continued to rub wide circles on her back. “I’m Beckett.”

“S-sally.” She breathed out.

“Looks like we’re suitemates, Sally girl.” Beckett looked out into the room, “My sister is here too, she’s Bethany. We’re twins.”

Twins, Sally thought. Isn’t that something? For a moment her mind grew distracted by the possibility of twins and what it might be like growing up with one. She forgot about her anxiety. The rhythmic touch of Beckett was easing the tension in her body increment by increment.

“Beth and I are here for rejuvenation. We own and run a self-help and empowerment business.” Beckett continued.

Sally tried to take a deep breath and succeeded. Self-help? “I’m a waitress.”

“No need to apologize for that, it’s work.” Beckett said. 

A throat clearing drew Sallys eyes toward her doorway, and Bethany stood leaning against the jamb. They were identical twins, only Bethany’s hair was shorter and fluffy. It looked like a crown around her face. Her eyes ran over the room and us on the bed. “You must be our suitemate?”

“This is Sally.” Beckett said.

“Hi.” Sally replied.

Bethany studied her and finally smiled. “Call me Beth.”

*

That week was the best one of Sally’s life. She’d gained two friends and a lot of confidence to go back to her life at the diner. She stayed in touch with Beckett and Bethany and eventually became their virtual assistant. Nothing made Sally happier than being able to help other women overcome their fears and reach for their dreams.

Like she had. She wasn’t cured miraculously. But she worked hard every day and gained so much from her life.

(Reedsy Contest #232: Tropical Getaway)

March 03, 2021 13:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Yvone Mthembu
06:53 Mar 11, 2021

Peggy , I love how you provide visuals with your words,If I were an artist I would've drawn the Maldives not because I've physically been there but because this writing has taken me there. Nice job

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.