The Boarding school

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write about someone who’s been sent to boarding school.... view prompt

2 comments

Bedtime Coming of Age Drama

I passed my seventh standard examination with 92% marks. I am told that henceforth I will be studying in a renowned school in Nainital, Uttarakhand. It has alumni in the likes of Ram Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan, Dalip Tahil, Major Somnath Sharma (recipient of India's first Param Vir Chakra), Vice Admiral Anil Chopra of Indian Navy etc. to name a few. Even thinking of going to such a renowned school gave me goosebumps. But at the same time the thought of living away from parents and brother made me a little sad. 

Next day we started our journey towards Nainital from Delhi, our hometown. It was around 300 kms long distance and we passed through Ghaziabad, Hapur, Garhmukteshwar, Moradabad, Rampur, Bilaspur, Rudrapur, Pantnagar, Haldwani, Kathgodam, then finally Nainital.It was probably a new route suggested by my uncle who accompanied us in this journey. We halted in Bilaspur in The Emerald hotel. Two bedrooms charged us around Rs. 2700 for a night stay. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. 


Finally we reached Nainital, a town situated at an elevation of 2084 meters. We had booked hotel Mount 'N' Lake, where we went and relaxed a bit. After that we went to visit some places of interest here. We visited Naina Devi Temple which is located near Naina lake. This temple is dedicated to Goddess Naina, the deity of this town and took her blessings. Then we visited the market and bought some essential items. As it was Sunday, it was decided that tomorrow I would be dropped in my new school. I already have a cousin studying here in class 9,one year senior to me. At least I know someone in this new place. This was also a reason for my parents to shortlist the Sherwood College for me. 


Next day, I went to the school along with my parents, brother and uncle. We were greeted by principal of the school, Mr. Amandeep Sandhu. He seemed to be a good orator and told us about the school 's glorious past. He said that this school was established in 1869,151 years ago. There are grades from class 3 to 12 and around 90 faculty members. There are 1600 students at present and the school is affiliated to ICSE, ISC boards. The school flag colors are maroon, bottle green and white and the school motto is "Mereat quisque palmam" meaning "Let each one merit his prize". The games played are tennis, basketball, football, cricket, swimming, field hockey, track and field. There are four houses for inter school competitions namely Robin Hood(Green) , Friar Tuck( blue) , Little John(yellow) , Allen-a-Dale(red) . Among the recent additions is the purple house for girls (Maid Marian). The school is named after Sherwood Foresters. Then Mr. Amandeep took us to a campus visit. We were obliged. 


The school has a large campus situated on Ayarpata hill. There are two wings namely Dixon wing for grades 7-12 and Horsman wing for grades 3-6.There are separate dormitories for both the wings. We went to the big library where hundreds of books are there. Then we visited the computer laboratory. The school also has a separate internet laboratory with a VSAT link service. 


Then we visited the playgrounds for football, cricket, hockey etc. The school's football team has won the "Mayo Cup" many times. Mr. Rev E Baston was the first principal of this great school from 1869 to 1880.Around 300 alumni of Sherwood have participated actively in World War 1 & 2.

Then finally we went to the hostel room which was allotted to me. It looked decent. It was a room with four beds for four roommates. All was well. Then I went with my family till the gate to bid them adieu. They said that I should not be disheartened and should focus on adopting myself to the new environment. And that they would be visiting me again next month. Finally I came to my room. My roommates had not yet arrived as they were at the classes. So I just relaxed a bit. 

After a while Shekhar, Piyush and Abdul arrived (my roommates). All looked decent and well spirited. We introduced ourselves and bonded well. They helped me a lot in adopting to the new surroundings and in following the daily routines of the school. I also registered my name in the school acting society and played football in the evening. Studies also went on well. 

I managed to secure a spot in the football team of Sherwood in the inter house matches starting next month. I was to play for yellow house. I became the goalkie. 

Finally the matches started. In the first match we defended well and won the match 1-0.The next match was with the blue house. I tried my best but gave two goals. Their defense was also strong. We could score just one goal and lost the match 1-2.We had one last chance of making it to the final by defeating red house. We played well. The scores read 0-0 till second half which lead to extra time. However we lost the match 1-0 as Junaid, their best player, scored a header. 

I was dejected and returned to my room after the match. Shekhar, my roommate was watching me. He came up to me and said that "Don't be depressed. We Sherwood guys are known for the Sherwood spirit. Sherwoodians are taught to earn their rightful place. We donot lose hope even in the face of defeat". He told me the story of a senior who saved more than twenty goals in a match with a broken arm, about which he said only after the match. Imagine how painful it must have been! 

His words infused a new vigour in me and I started with a new energy. 

In short, it was a right decision to study here. I have learned many life lessons already and am coping up well. My cousin named Arvind also encourages me and is a constant support. My family visited me as promised and am looking forward to go home in the winter vacation. Right now am focusing on imbibing the spirit of Sherwoodians in my boarding school "Sherwood". 

October 19, 2020 17:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Merel Cooijmans
14:07 Feb 09, 2021

I really like the concept of the story. just pay a little more attention to the feelings of the main character. I hope that you once write a part 2. Maybe with a little mischief ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Judith Buskohl
21:45 Oct 30, 2020

I enjoyed your story, got confused in some parts ,but when I re-read the part I figured out what you were saying. Keep up the good work and may God bless you.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.