My story is entitled during the drought there was a combination of low rainfall and some sort of high temperatures.

Written in response to: Set your story during a drought.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Mystery

My story is entitled during the drought there was a combination of law rainfall and some sort of high temperatures.

Once upon a time during the drought , there was a prolonged period of abnormally low rainfall leading to a shortage of water within the country.

The drought was a period that caused low rainfall in some parts of the country due to this there was shortage of water so farmers could not cultivate enough crops to fend for themselves and also earn income.

It is mentioned that there are four types of drought that includes.

1. Meteorological drought

2. Hydrological drought

3. Agricultural drought

4. Socioeconomic drought

It can be noted that there are five causes of drought. Among them includes

Land and water temperatures that causes drought in the country at most times.

Also Air circulation and weather patterns also causes drought in some part of the country.

Again soil moisture levels also contributes to drought at all times especially with farms.

In addition drought can also be a supply and demand of water supply issue.

During a drought there are several effects that can be observed in the country.

Among them includes the fact that Drought can limit the growing season and then also create conditions that encourage insects and other disease infestation in certain crops within the farms.

An example is the weevil insect that affects maize during storage ,it destroys the maize crop during storage due to this it is often advised to use pesticide to kill or disinfect these insects before it is sold to the market for human consumption.

Also low crop yields can result in rising food prices and shortages potentially leading to malnutrition. This can also cause an increase in food prices and other foodstuffs for consumers.

Drought can also affect the health of livestock raised for food.

Most farmers experience drought that affects the health of livestock such as goat ,cattle ,fowl,sheep that are being reared for food .

However Drought can occur in any region of the World including the United States of America or even Canada.

In my home country such as Ghana , drought often occurs especially during heavy rainfall and floods that often destroys houses and an entire community.

Also in some instances drought such as bush fires often destroys an entire farm or even houses.

Bush fires occurs normally on dry lands mostly in the Northern part of the country.

In some parts of California bush fires was mentioned to have destroyed alot of farms and houses within that community.

This scenario indicates that bush fires have destroyed all farms and houses since it is a major cause of drought within the country or community as previously mentioned.

Again in some countries the major drought that often occurs is earthquake that destroys and collapse down weak houses without good foundation.

Most earthquakes often occurs in Japan and China at all times.

As noted today, drought in the United States of America are concentrated in the West part of the country,

Some States like California ,Nevada,Utah and also Arizona are expiriencing unprecedented heat and dry weather during drought. ,

During the year 1950 to 1957, Texas also expeienced the most severe. drought in recorded history.

Sometimes humans can also be blamed for droughts. Human activity has probably had an impact on the worlds risk of drought. Some drought related to climate change will get much worse considerably.

Droughts can normally last for several weeks, months, or even years.

The end of drought can possibly occur as gradually as it began.

Sometimes during dry periods drought can last for about ten years or more.

It is mentioned that prolonged drought can affect our economy.

In the Agricultural industry dry conditions and the lack of precipitation can damage or kill crops negatively affecting the farmers income.

The crop loss also impacts consumers through increased food prices and the economic impacts of drought can be felt in other provinces and even countries.

Droughts can result in lower water levels in reservoirs ,lakes and ponds as well as reduced stream flow in rivers.

The decrease in available water can also lead to a reduction of some wetlands ,groundwater depletion and even impact water quality.

Severe drought often ruins the crops at all times in the farms.

Also drought is a period of dryness especially when prolonged that is one that actually causes extensive damage to some crops.

It can be noted that drought is a prolonged period of dry weather.

In addition the lack of rain often causes drought.

This however makes the land bare and it is sometimes difficult to cultivate on such lands because crops can not be grown on such lands since water is scarce.

According to some farmers drought often occurs when there is a prolonged shortage of water or little or no rain at all.

Some farmers are facing ruin after two years of severe drought in some countries.

Some insects like weevils also causes drought to some crops such as maize,this is another drought that occurs mostly in cereal grown farms.

Also in addition drought often creates water shortage that seeks to damage crops ,livestock and the environment.

The drought is a prolonged dry period in the natural climate cycle that can occur anywhere in the world.

Other human activities that can easily cause drought includes the widespread cutting down of trees for fuel.

This actually reduces the soils ability to then hold water drying out the ground by triggering desertification and leading to drought.

The drought is also a reduction in precipitation over an extended period of time. Droughts seeks to damage Agriculture and other food supplies.

Drought can sometimes cause famine or hunger in an entire family since farmers can not cultivate enough crops to fend themselves.

Finally, I will like to conclude that during droughts there is damage of Agriculture and other food supplies.

Lastly I will like to mention that during droughts floods are created including wildfires.

Drought also worsened the great depression in some countries.

August 24, 2022 06:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.