1 comment

Horror Fiction

This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives.

The house sat in the middle of no where, within the vast fields of nature. It was made from stone and wood, being large enough to house a small army. Within, the home was made of smooth marble, with line lights beaming through the floor. In the hall, photos of four adults hung on the wall. Orbs floated within the air, humming to an unknown tune.

At the kitchen, the dinner table is set with a different assortment of food and a figure standing over it all. Cloaked within shadows, staring at the door as head lights lay over way. A golden apple was placed down on the table, it shined within the darkness.

Laughter could be heard, as foot steps echo across and the door started so wiggle. It continued until opening and the peoples voice became in clear.  Their foot steps began to echo within the home.

"Tell Sam about the time we explored the ruins within ishfal." one of the people expressed, slowly taking off her jacket.   

"Well, Jenna was talking about these ancient ruins I had found. Last month, it was a true sight to behold." Avery boosted, a huge grin spread across his face. "It was like a large pit, some people think its where the ritual takes place. The people call it the ritual of evolution." Avery said, as they stopped at the table.  The light automatically came as the room understood their voices. The vast assortment spread across it, Avery for a moment looked at it all.

"Who set the table?" Avery asked, still pointing at the table. A series of candles sat on top, made of gold.  Jenna walked toward the table, "I don't know, the maid had left to start her week-long vacation, " She said.  

"She may have left it before leaving," Avery replied.  

"Then why is everything still hot?" Sam asked, touching a chicken leg.  

They all stopped as the lights went out and a cold silence entered the room. They stood there like stones, never letting their breath go. Sam looked at the others, just for a moment. Another sound came from the second dining hall, this was louder and could be heard more clearly. A strange light glimmered across the darkness for a moment and then faded.   

"Avery, you got your gun?" Sam asked.  There was no reply as the light vanished and the lights of the house came back on.  Avery had his hand on the weapon of choice, it was a pistol type. One that would shoot abstract bullets at the target, killing them permanently. He moved toward the second kitchen, weapon drawn out and ready. The others flood, almost tripping on the chairs in their way.

The hall to the second dining room was longer, filled with photos of loved ones and trophies that showed their past. One of the pictures gave a pause to Avery, it was one of a blond haired female. Her eyes pure blue, wearing one of the most wonderful dresses. He pressed on before the other two could catch on. She held a darkened apple, its shine was unlike any other.

Floating orbs lit the way, showing off colors not normal to the human mind and yet these were radically different from earlier. Avery raised his hand as they got closer to the entrance.

"If things start to get hot, I want both of you to get back immediately.  We have no idea what is on the other side and I don't want to have any of you getting hurt," He whispered. They both agreed and followed behind.  Avery then slowly opened the door, his gun pointed out and his eyes glowing a cool blue.  The lights were on, with one of the faucet running water. The oven could be seen on and cook something that smelled delightful.  The room was empty of any signs of life other than their own, yet the air within felt different and the flow of things had changed.     

Avery stood up and the lights changed into a different color. He walked toward the table, on the table was a large cake. With someones name inscribed onto it, next to it was apple that shined of darkness. "Is this a joke." he asked.  

"What are you talking about?" Sam asked, as he walked behind him.  "You really don't know what this cake is about or any of the other weird shit going on?" He replied, his fists balled up and veins started to look like they were going to pop. Avery turned around to face the two of them, a rage taken over as he started to curse and call them every name in the book.  

"How could you put me through this again!!" He shouted. "This was supposed to be the happiest day of my life. Not remember it." His word left a sharp and telling void.   "Avery, Think about this for a moment. We were gone for a whole month and just got back to town. How could we do this all and the maid was gone before we got here. Something isn't right," Sam tried to explain.  

"You're right, lets get out of here." He softly said. They all looked at the table again and the cake was no where to be seen.  The apple however remained but its color was now white.

"Holy shit!" Jenna screamed. She ran back toward the first dining room, trying to find somewhere safe.  Only to be stopped dead within her tracks as the door slammed shut and the air started to tighten around them. Sam and Avery backed away from the table and closer toward the living room. The doors had been open for them go inside, a Television light shining a bright light.

"Come on Jenna, it will be safer within the living room!!" Sam screamed. She turned to face them and stopped dead in her tracks. They had entered the room, their backs turned away from the TV. A figure cloaked in darkness stood behind them.  The very sight of it almost caused her to shriek of terror. She tired to warn them, but by then it was too late.

November 21, 2020 04:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Anthony Simmons
23:49 Nov 23, 2020

What can I do better?

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.