1 comment

Fiction Friendship Speculative

‘Bloody teenagers. Think they can do what they want,’ complained Alfie.


‘Oh, come on Alfie, I think we were all a bit rebellious when we were that age.’ reasoned his wife.

‘Not me, never had the chance. I was working from 14, had to give my wage to my Da. He’d give me a bit back for the weekly dance up at the Liberal. Then I joined the Navy.’

 ‘I remember the day I met you, you were on leave with the lads. A ladies man, according to Teddy.’

‘Well he would have said that, he was after marrying you too. Told me so when he saw the photo you sent me, he even asked me to get you to send him one! The cheek,' laughed Alfie. ' I don't half miss him. It'll be eight years on Monday. I'm going up on Sunday to tidy him up a bit, it's never too bad, his lad seems to visit often.'

'I might come with you if it's fine. The exercise might do my old bones a bit of good.

'You still look good to me, as beautiful as the day we met,' Alfie smiled, gazing into the face of his wife.

Irene blushed, fiddling with the buttons on her cardigan,' you're still the same too, just has handsome, still as set in your ways though. My dad used to say that he'd never met anyone as stubborn. He said that once you'd set your mind on marrying me I had no chance. I reminded him that I didn't mind.'

'I knew I'd met my match when I first set eyes on you, I didn't have a chance either, you were all I thought about when I left. I read your letters over and over again, I used to look at that photo you sent me, I kept it in my pocket, it helped when things got a bit too much.’ Alfie's eyes glazed over as he was transported back to 1943, to a time he never discussed. Only his nightmares evidence of the memories he refused to share.

‘You never told me that,’ frowned Irene.'

‘Why, would it have made a difference?’ Alfie smiled mischievously, passing Irene the paper he had been reading. Irene's lips curled upwards in response,' What do you think?' Alfie winked. His playfulness waning as he pointed to the news article he'd been reading.

‘The little bleeders have been caught on CCTV breaking into the post office, trashed the place.’

‘That's terrible, I'm not surprised Jimmy and Jean are selling up,' Irene sighed, shaking her head. Millie's house got burgled last week, and her grandson's car was stolen. The police found it burnt out.'

'It's a bloody disgrace. What's this country coming to? They should bring back conscription, that'll teach um a bit of discipline. None of um are used to hard graft, just want everything handed on a plate!' Alfie blustered, his ears becoming red as he attempted to control his indignation.

'Our Blake’s not like that though, or our Teigan.’ Irene noted, placing the newspaper on the table beside her, fondly gazing at the silver framed photograph of her grandchildren.

Alfie huffed,' You can’t get a word out of um these days, they’re always doing that ticktock thingy, or Whatsupping.’

‘I think you mean WhatsApping.’ Irene giggled, ‘It’s what they’re all doing nowadays, anyhow come on were supposed to be meeting Rita at the arcade.’

Grabbing his coat from the peg, Alfie picked up Irene’s scarf, feeling the cashmere between his fingers. Bringing it to his nose, he inhaled his wife’s scent sighing. Alfie placed the scarf around his wife's neck, tucking it inside her rain coat. Irene opened the front door, to find a group of teenagers standing at their gate.

‘Can I help you?’ Alfie asked nervously, standing several paces away from the hooded figures.

‘My mum told us to bring you this,’ said the tallest one, waving a plastic card in the air, ‘you left it at the post office, My mum knows you, you used to meet up with my Grandad and his mates at the Liberal. You know before he died.’

Alfie stepped forward with trepidation, as the hooded figure strode towards him. Placing the bank card in Alfie’s outstretched hand the boy smiled. ‘Whose ur Grandad son?’

‘Teddy. Did you know him well?’ The boy asked.

Alfie nodded, ‘yeah he saved my life once, during the war. He carried me off Omaha, he did. He was a hero your Grandad.’

‘Yeah he told me about Omaha. He kept quiet about being a hero though. I want to be like him one day, I’m joining the Navy, all of us are. Thought we’d drop this off on the way to cadets. Hope we dint scare you or owt.’

Alfie shook his head. ‘Tell you mum thanks; you’re a credit to her.’

Thanks, I'll tell her. Will you be visiting him?'

'I will, as always, I'll leave him a little something.'

'I'll tell my mum, she appreciates you visiting, says it makes a difference, I don't visit that often. I know I should.'

'I suppose you've got more exciting things to do,' Alfie stated, trying to keep his tone neutral.

'I should visit more, but you know how it is.'

Alfie nodded his head in agreement. He supposed he did know. He was young once. 'Tell your mum I said hi. I haven't seen her since the funeral.'

'Tell her that we'll have to meet up at the arcade for a cuppa one day, we could talk about Teddy. Your mum was the apple of his eye. He used to talk about her all the time,' Irene explained.

'I'll tell her, come on lads were gonna be late.’ As the sun appeared from behind the clouds the boys removed their hoods, disappearing down the street.

‘Do you know what Irene, I s’pose they’re not all bad.’

Irene nodded in agreement.

'What are you leaving with Teddy on Sunday.' Irene asked.

'Just something I should have asked you for when we were at Omaha,' Alfie shrugged, tapping the zipped pocket of his anorak.

Irene nodded, as she placed her creased hand over her husband's, entwining her fingers with his, they walked hand in hand towards the arcade lost in each other's thoughts.


May 14, 2021 21:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sachi B
08:37 May 25, 2021

This is such a sweet story! I really loved the way you ended it, and in particular, the last sentence - 'lost in each other's thoughts'. Keep writing! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.