8 comments

Drama Suspense Thriller

Dear Dohyun,                                                                                                           

I have been a fan of you since you first debuted in 2017 with the other members of Double Helix. You always stood out to me, so when you left the group in 2022 to pursue your solo career, I wholeheartedly supported your every move and attended every concert I could. Do you remember when you performed at the Barclays Center in New York? That was a special night you handed me a red rose during your performance of ‘My Angel.’ What about when we locked eyes at the Prudential Center? Do you remember that? I remember when you saved me from a scary airport worker when he forcefully pushed me away from you.

Most recently I visited your hotel, but one of the receptionists told me you weren’t there. Can you believe that they threatened to call the cops on me when I tried to wait for you in the lobby? It was kind of you to stand up to those rude officers for me, and you even suggested we take a photo together before I left. You made my night! I’ll be front row at your concert in Seoul. It’s this month, so don’t forget to blow me a kiss like always. 

You probably didn’t answer my last letter because you’ve been busy promoting your tour. I asked if you want to meet at ‘Smart Coffee’ since you like it in Kyoto. You’ve been hanging out with Yunho from Double Helix, and I’ll admit I’m jealous, but since he makes you happy, I guess he could tag along.

Love, 

Sabrina Suho

PS Let me know if you get the surprise I’m sending for your birthday!

Dear Dohyun,

I noticed you haven’t responded to my letters or messages lately, and I feel lonely. I hope you had a good birthday. I saw on your live stream that you got the stuffed penguin I sent you. I saw videos of you meeting with Jillian Su at a fashion show in Seoul this week. Be careful around women like that. She likely just wants to use you for exposure. Jillian Su is lucky to be in your presence but don’t let her get too close because that would make me very jealous! Although you looked so handsome at that fashion show, it’s no wonder everyone wants to be with you.

Don’t let anyone take my spot by your side until we meet again! We’re so close to seeing each other, we have to hang on a little longer. I’ve been listening to your new album every day, and I can’t help but think you wrote the song ‘Red Rose,’ just for me. Each track on the album perfectly describes our relationship and talks about how much we long for each other, even when we are close. You'll just have to hold on a little bit longer in the meantime. I saw that you got my gift. Unfortunately, the official website for your company said that as of this date, they will no longer accept any gift sent to their idols.

 Lately, it feels like the universe has been trying to tear us apart. While all this is happening, you plan to release a song featuring Jillian Su. I told you in my last letter to avoid Jillian Su as she is a sneaky woman. If she gets too close, I might have to fly out to Seoul to keep an eye on you two. However, I am looking forward to hearing your new song. 

All my love,

Sabrina Suho

Dear Dohyun,                                                                                                                         

I saw the news on ‘Dispatch’ that you’re dating Jillian Su! How dare you cheat on me and blatantly mock me by holding hands and kissing that horrid woman in public! Didn’t I warn you about her and her kind? Yet you’ve fallen under her spell so quickly. I told you that the spot next to you is reserved for me - always. Or perhaps you’re not cheating on me. Is Jillian Su even more vile than she seems, and she’s actually keeping you hostage? If she is, you won’t have to worry for much longer. I am leaving for Seoul tomorrow. 

If you have genuinely betrayed me, don’t worry. I will forgive you but know that there will be consequences. Jillian Su would have to go, which would be terrible if something happened to her.  By the time you get this letter, I will already be in Seoul, but it may be difficult to find you; perhaps you can send some subtle clues through social media. I noticed that the photos of you and Jillian were taken at the ‘Thanks Nature Cafe’; maybe I’ll check there first since I know that’s your favorite cafe. I’m sorry, but this letter will be shorter than my previous letters because I need to finish packing. Wait for me.

Love,  

Sabrina Suho

Dear Dohyun,

I am in Seoul but haven’t been able to find you despite going to all your favorite places the cafe, the Seoul Land amusement park, and the Game Plaza arcade; I couldn’t even see you at your house and waited for hours! Luckily, Jillian Su was a lot easier to find, and I was surprised that there was no security in her apartment in Icheon, just outside of Seoul. Don’t worry, I am being very kind to her, and I’ll release her as soon as she tells me your whereabouts. If you receive these letters, please meet me at Gyeongbokgung Palace. If these letters are being intercepted, perhaps by someone working with Jillian Su, please bring Dohyun to the palace, and if you cooperate, maybe we can exchange. As long as Dohyun is unharmed, Jillian Su’s safety is guaranteed. 

We meet tomorrow at midnight and don’t attempt to involve the police because I will keep Jillian Su a safe distance away until I see that Dohyun is safe. If the police apprehend me, I can't promise that Jillian Su will be seen again. Dohyun, if you're reading this letter, we are so close to seeing each other again, so just hang on a bit longer. I love you.

Love,

Sabrina Suho

Dear Dohyun, 

I am writing this letter to you from Prison. I assume you have been getting my letters as one of the officers referred to me as just another Sasaeng (who invades her idol's private life). But I am not, and I want you to know that when I get out, I'll continue to pledge my loyalty to you, even if that means giving you space. I do think that my being charged with kidnapping is a bit excessive. I just wanted to save you from Jillian Su because I know she's incapable of loving you as I do. 

I'm sorry that I will miss your upcoming concert and promotional events, but don't worry; I'll always support you no matter where I am.  Please write to me so I can have something to remind me of you. I'm sorry I failed you, but please don't become tainted by that evil woman. I don't know what you would see in her. We're meant to be soulmates. I'll miss you.

Love,

Sabrina Suho

Dear Sabrina,

Please never contact me again.

-Dohyun 

June 09, 2023 01:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Olivia Lake
01:01 Jun 16, 2023

Oof, this was chilling to read. Love the details like Gyeongbokgung Palace and Dispatch!

Reply

Summer Hayes
01:30 Jun 20, 2023

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
23:06 Jun 14, 2023

Very cleverly done. You obviously have a better handle on how obsessives think than I could ever want to. You captured the mindset perfectly. Initially, I thought it was a send up but then realized Sabrina is absolutely serious. I loved Dohyun's terse reply. Hope it works for him.

Reply

Summer Hayes
19:57 Jun 15, 2023

Thank you for your comment. I appreciate your kind words and support.

Reply

John K Adams
20:33 Jun 15, 2023

My pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sylph Fox
08:19 Jun 24, 2023

Hi Summer, this story keeps me on my toes! I think you did brilliantly :) I host an audio book podcast and looking for stories like yours for my next season. I'd really love to feature your work. If you’re interested in having your story read by me I'd really appreciate it if you'd contact me at SylphFoxSubmission@gmail.com. I invite you to listen to my podcast and see what you think. Apple Podcast : https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/codename-sylph-fox/id1667146729 Spotify : https://open.spotify.com/show/4zvTWIoByAwc7X3cOzs0Da?si=6e5...

Reply

Summer Hayes
22:19 Jun 28, 2023

Hi Sylph, Thank you for your interest in my story and Yes, you have my permission to use my story on your podcast. -Summer

Reply

Sylph Fox
03:27 Nov 19, 2023

Hey Summer, I have uploaded your story here: Apple Podcast : https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/codename-sylph-fox/id1667146729?i=1000635300829 Spotify : https://open.spotify.com/episode/6Hn7lPwHN2oGTDvIKuZwhJ?si=7a9560ad74d34049 Thanks again for the lovely story and I had fun recording it! :) Thanks, Sylph

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.