Love And Me

Submitted into Contest #16 in response to: Write a story that involves love at first sight.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

Growing up I always heard the term "Love at First Sight" but I was not even thinking about "Love". They always said you don't need to look for love, it will find you....I thought that was funny, I laughed and went on playing with my friends.

As I grew up, things started changing, my thinking, my body, my mind and they way I thought about things. I started noticing boys more and thinking how some of them were so cute, having these feelings that I couldn't explain.

Then one day I was sitting on the front porch of my Gammy's house with my friend and cousin...now to understand what I mean by some of the things I say like "echoing" and "dirt flying" I need to tell ya what it was like at Grammy's house. She lived in a hallow in Gauge Kentucky...dirt road, creek, surrounded by mountains, and no neighbors for a couple of miles in either direction...it was pure heaven.

So one day while sitting on the porch I heard this echoing of a motorcycle coming through the hollor, so I kept on watching for it, and after what seemed to be forever here it comes...here he comes.

My cousin and I walked down to the end of the driveway, little did I know that would be the moment my life would change forever. My cousin knew this boy on the bike, his name is Joe....I couldn't stop looking at his beautiful blue eyes!! Joe was the cutest thing I ever have seen and this feeling came over me that I couldn't explain, it was like a wave from the ocean crashing over me. Here is this cute guy with sandy blond hair.....kinda like Shaun Cassidy....a smile that just made me melt, and those eyes, oh those eyes, I just couldn't stop looking at them and then he spoke, with a voice that was just strong and soft....I think I know what they mean by love at first sight now!

So as the days went by Joe was coming over everyday and I became really good friends, Gammy said he never came around like that before and that he must be sweet on me! I just laughed at her because she said that about all the boys that came to visit. Joe and I would sit there and talk, go for walks and rides on his bike and then it happened...he kissed me!!! I was in love for sure...he even asked me when I was gonna move down there so we could get married....I hated it when summer would end and I would have to go back to Indiana.

Joe was all that I could think about and I couldn't wait for the school year to end because the next day I was headed back to Kentucky, back to Joe.

I would just sit and wait for the sound of that motorcycle to echo in that hollor, I would start walking up the road when I heard it to meet him because I couldn't wait to see him, to be in his arms again....When I was with him nothing else mattered, he was all I saw. My first love, my first everything, he is my heart.

Grammy passed away when I was young and I never went back after the funeral. I stayed in contact with Joe for a while and the phone calls stopped coming along with the letters, I was so sad but I had to face reality that he had moved on with someone there and I should move on too but I was looking for something I would never find here...I was looking for a "Joe" when there was never gonna be another one of him.

After all these years I still think about him, wonder how he is doing? If he is happy? Does he ever think about me? Joe has a special place in my heart and I hope one day our paths will cross again.

If someone were to ask me if I believed in "Love at first sight" I will tell them YES!! It's a love you never really get over.

November 15, 2019 16:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.