The ghost of grandpa's past

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write a ghost story where there’s more going on than it first appears.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Horror Thriller

One day I was at my grandpa's house trying to pick up his old belongings. My pa-pa had passed away over 3 months now and I'm just getting up the nerve to remove pa-pa belongings which will bring back all my old memories of my pa-pa. My pa-pa and I had magical times everywhere my grandpa would go I would go but only in the summertime because that's where I spend all of my summer vacations since I was ten years old. my pa-pa loved to read and when pa-pa reads it's like we are taking a long ride through a magical kingdom of animals and warriors but grandpa's specialty was cooking we would stay in the kitchen for hours making up new recipes some turn out good and others the dog would not eat it. But we would never ever stop trying. I always had so many exciting times with my grandpa. That's why removing his things is going to make me feel like I'm removing Grandpa and placing him into a box my grandpa was of great mystery and his memories don't belong inside of a box and this is why it took me so long to remove his belongings. As I walked into my papa's house an eerie feeling came over me the house was drafty and cold even with the window being closed for 3 months. As I was packing up papa's things I picked up this old picture frame from the mantle and when I begin to dust it off the glass cracked and cut my hand. But I continue to work and I thought nothing of it so I walked into the kitchen to get the broom to sweep up the glass when I returned all the boxes that I had put in front of the fireplace had been rearranged. They have actually been returned to the same place where I took them from. when I saw this I started panicking and ran out of the house. I let two days go by and I decided to go back and finish the job that I had started. But this time I had no plans of going alone. So I asked my girlfriend Tammy to tag along to help out as my girlfriend Tammy and I entered into my papa's house. I could tell Tammy felt weird. But she said nothing. After a while everything seemed fine we were laughing and talking and suddenly a candle holder slid across the table and it slid back. my girlfriend looked at me I looked at her. and her eyes were open wide with fright she slowly started moving closer to the door when a box of nails suddenly slams to the floor I begin to pick the nails up that's when I felt something brush up against me. My hair was standing up on the back of my neck and my arms begin to get chills with little bumps all up and down I dropped the nails that I already picked up and ran towards the door. My girlfriend and I couldn't get out of the house fast enough I was trying to lock the front door when the doorknob started shaking. I screamed and Tammy screamed even louder. So we ran to the car as fast as we could. when we drove off I turned back just to look and I can see a figure standing in the window it was a silhouette of a man it just stood there starring at us leaving I had so many mixed feeling mainly because all my grandpa's pictures are inside of that house and I knew I wasn't going back and I probably would never know what happened to grandpa's belongings. Tammy and I had the longest quietest ride ever to her house she said nothing and I didn't know what to say so I said nothing. After I dropped my best friend Tammy off I went home and I parked my car in a long airy parking lot right under a tree a wet leaf fell onto my shoulder making me jump in fear I was startled I ran and hid behind a bush it was so quiet so I slowly began shifting from my hiding place I began slowly walking towards the street but in the corner of my eye I could see movement it began to look like that silhouette that I left at my papa's house. Is this real this, can't be real my mind begins to wonder. And all these crazy thoughts were overflowing into my brain I was so scared it's like I could hear breathing in my left ear and whatever it was that was after me it knew my name. I heard a voice saying my name. This frightens me I began to run and as I'm running I could hear heavy boots running behind me I begin to panic and I fell onto a tree branch that was laying on the side of the road. I jumped up quickly and ignoring the blood I had running down my forearm I began to run faster and faster until I came upon a small cabin sitting on the edge of the woods. I knocked one time no one answered I was so scared I started kicking the door. I heard a loud sounding bang and everything went black and when I woke up I was inside of my grandpa's house the air was musty and my hands were cold I had no idea how I got there I was upstairs inside of the old room that I use to stay in every summer vacation. I sat up on the bed but I was scared to move and then I heard a voice a very soft but aged voice saying I finally got you here again I said papa is that you. The voice replied yes it's me I was shocked and I just looked into the dark corner waiting for papa to show himself he never did I called out for pa-pa no answer I called again the voice have changed now I'm hearing a strong deeper voice. So I eased out of the bed and ran and never looked back. I don't know what's that inside my papa's house but I know it's not my pa-pa. So BEWARE of the ghost we may leave behind.

October 21, 2020 13:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.