1 comment

Friendship

 “Crap!” I screamed 

I was beyond frustrated. I have been working on my science project for the last 3 months. I want to create a piece of technology that no one has ever seen before. Of course that's going to be hard because it's 2063, and almost everything is technology. I'm trying  to create a robot that has human feelings. In history, over 22 groups have tried, but i'm going to be the first to ever actually do it. 

My name is Aspen Kaft, I'm 14 years old. i'm tall and I have dark brown hair. I'm only a freshman, but I've been taking college science classes for the last 2 years. I'm almost done with the body of my android, which I'm calling S.K.Y.14. That stands for Sensor (a device that detects certain objects) Kinesiology (the study of body movements) Yottabyte (to hold information), and the 14 stands for my age. 

I kicked it in frustration. Suddenly the eyes went blue. I screamed excitedly and ran upstairs to my sisters room. My sister has always supported me in my science engineering. 

“Elaine, I did it, I did it !!!” I was jumping up and down. “I just created a robot.”

“Show me!” she said and we ran down the stairs to my workshop.

Part of the reason that this is so important to me is because my sister is going to college in 2 days and i don't want to be alone. She has always been there for me, like right now, as she is on my laptop looking at my programing and making a few tweaks. Elaine is a mathematical wiz. My parents are lawyers so they are constantly gone from the house, but Elaine took care of me. I'm going to miss Elaine. A lot.

Elaine went back upstairs to finish packing, but I stayed to complete more programming. I am now finishing up the last of the human infatuation tables I'm putting into the programming. I want S.K.Y to feel like I feel, know what I know and act like I act.

 I spent the rest of the day organizing and tweaking. I guess I must have fallen asleep, because I shot up after hearing someone call my name.

“Aspen, Aspen, Aspen” it whispered 

I ran to face the robot. I couldn't talk. It kept calling my name. 

“Sky?” I questioned finally finding my voice. I wasn't sure if it could hear me. 

“Aspen, i don't know what to do? There is so much in my head! Help me, please!”

I took a step back. It could hear me. It could feel too. I'd done it. I'd really created a robot who could feel!    

 The next morning Elaine said I should take S.K.Y14 to school and test her. I did but when we got there, Celia was waiting for me. Celia is my enemy. We got out of the car, and Celia started videoing. I could see S.K.Y14 crying so I walked up to Celia and took her phone.

“Celia, that's it. I won't stand for it any longer. You've messed with my friends and my creations. I won't let you anymore.” I looked around “Did you all get that. I won't deal with it.”

I deleted the video and shoved the phone back at Celia. Then I took S.K.Y by the hand and we walked into school. Later at lunch, the word had gotten around that I had dealt with Celia, and when I walked into the cafeteria everyone started clapping. The seniors even asked if I wanted to sit with them. I told them I was sitting with my friends but it was nice of them to ask. It felt good to have someone notice what I do.

After lunch I got a feeling that this was just too much for S.K.Y so I connected her to my phone to relieve her. We made it to science class and Mrs. Hall made me stand up in front of the class and explain what I had created. Then she gave me an A+. I was so excited to take it to my professor after what I got at school. When I got to my class, I took my spot in the front. When Professor Black came in, he locked eyes with me. 

“Class this will be a good example of what class is about today. Mrs. Kaft can you please come up and share with the class what you have brought.”

I walked up there and took my place behind the podium. 

“Hi, my name is Aspen Kaft and I would like to introduce you to S.K.Y14. i have created a robot that can feel and act exactly like a human.” 

SKY came up and told her story

“My name is S.K.Y14 and I am a robot. I am only a day old but i've been bullied, and laughed, i've gotten to know Aspen’s friends, and her enemies. I've never felt more human. I want to thank you for accepting her even though she is younger than you. And I have one more surprise for Aspen.”

At that moment Elaine came up on the screen.

“Hi my name is Elaine Kaft, I am Aspen's older sister and I wanted to thank you for accepting my little sister too. I created a slide show of all that she has done for us.”

The slide show began and I started to cry. When it ended everyone broke out in applause. 

“Ladies and gentlemen, please, this is absolutely outstanding Mrs. Kaft. i am very impressed.” Then Mr.Black looked at my sister. “Thank you for this wonderful gesture.”

“Thank you for letting me do this, especially because it was last minute.” Elaine answered. “Ill see you when you get home, Aspen. Love you!” 

“Love you too!” I answered. “Thank you Mr. Black.” 

“Your welcome now let's get back to class.” 

After class I took S.K.Y home and waiting for me was my family. They had all my favorite foods. Chicken enchiladas, ice cream, and cake. As we celebrated my win, it hit me that this was my sisters last night. She was leaving tomorrow. I gave her a big hug and told her I would miss her so much. She told me she was proud of me and led me upstairs to my room. She used to do this when i was younger. she would lay with me in my bed until i fell. Tonight she sang to me as I drifted off.   

That day S.K.Y14 became my best friend.

February 25, 2021 23:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

The Cold Ice
04:27 May 05, 2021

Wonderful story .keep writing. I loved it. Amazing write. Wonderfully written. Amazing job. Would you mind reading my story “The book reader”

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.