0 comments

Fiction Drama Horror

"I'll ask you again. What do you mean they vanished?" The tall officer stared at me hard. His grey eyes studied me intently, as if trying to bore through my forehead.

"I mean exactly what I said! They vanished!" I shouted, frustrated that no one was listening.

"Walk me through it again." the short, fat detective said. "Start from the beginning." There was sweat beading on his upper lip and at his receding salt and pepper hairline even though the room was adequately cooled.

I slammed my hands down against the desk. "I already told you like fifteen times! I heard a woman screaming so I ran into the alley, when I got there the woman was on the ground bleeding and a man in an old-timey cloak was bent over her. I asked if everything was okay and they vanished!"

"Describe what you mean by vanished." the detective prompted.

"I mean, one second they were there and then there was a little 'pop' and they were gone!" I said, growing angrier by the minute.

The detective closed his notebook and gave me a hard look. "We've got officers going over the scene now. You hang tight here and we'll let you know." he said, then he and the tall officer left the room. I noted the distinct click of the deadbolt sliding into place.

They locked me in here! They think I'm nuts. I should have just kept walking! How many times had I been told to keep my nose out of other peoples' business?

I stood and began pacing around the small room. The buzzing of the overhead fluorescent lights was the only sound I could hear. I guess it made sense for interrogation rooms to be soundproof. The room smelled of stale coffee and cigarettes, even though smoking in police stations had been outlawed for years.

I walked over and pulled the little plastic blinds to the side.

The hallway outside the room was empty save for one lone officer at a desk a couple doors down.

I knocked on the window to get his attention. It was a cold and hollow sound that apparently fell on deaf ears because he never even looked my way. I slammed the blinds back down, their tinny rattle mocking me.

Why? Why didn't I just keep walking? If I had never stepped into that sewage stinking, garbage ridden, god-forsaken alley...

I paced some more, counting the tiles as I did. Ten long, nine wide. Just like the jail cell they were probably trying to find a way to stick me in right now. I'm such an idiot.

I walked in circles around the room for what felt like hours, taking note of tiny details. The water stain on the third leftmost ceiling tile, the lone cobweb swaying under the air conditioning in the corner by the door, a tiny piece of styrofoam under the table; probably from a coffee cup. I imagined another person like me, trapped in this room, tearing a cup to pieces to stay sane.

After what seemed like an eternity, the detective returned. He had curious expression on his face. "Listen, our guys checked that alleyway with a finetooth comb and they're coming up with nothing, not even a blood spatter. So I'm just gonna ask you, straight out. Are you on something? Do you need to be on something?"

"That's impossible! I saw it! I swear to you! I am stone cold sober and have never been on a medication in my life outside Tylenol and the occasional antibiotic!" I cried.

"Well, our guys found nothing. So, I'm not sure what else I can tell you except that we'll keep an eye on the area. As far as we can tell, no crime has been committed and there's no reason for us to hold you here, so you can go on home. Maybe get some sleep, yeah?" he said, offering me a sympathetic glance.

After being led from the station, I stood on the sidewalk listening to the cars whiz by.

How could they have found nothing? I was there, I saw it!

I stood for a moment longer, a gentle rain beginning to fall.

I had to go back. I had to see for myself. I looked around quickly, making sure no one was watching me and then took off running back toward the alley.

Ten minutes later, I was standing at the mouth of the alley in near total darkness. I fished my phone out of my pocket and turned on the flashlight, illuminating the dank space.

The air was thick with the smell of sewage and rotting food. Bottles clinked and bags rustled where rats scurried among them searching for a meal. The rain had caused puddles to form, the dirtiness of the alley causing them to shimmer and shift with toxic colors.

I steeled myself and ventured in. The further in I went, the stronger the smells became, threatening to overwhelm my gag reflex. I pulled my shirt up over my nose and kept going.

Sweeping my phone around, I saw that wht the detective had said was true. There was zero indication that someone had murdered that poor woman here. No blood, not even any disturbed garbage. Was I going crazy? I swung around and around over and over again, desperately searching for some sign that I hadn't lost my mind, but there was nothing. Just an empty alley.

Finally, I gave up. There was nothing here. Maybe that detective was right. Maybe I did need some sleep. I shrugged, shaking my head. I gave the alleyway one last sweep and turned to leave.

In my path, stood a man. A man in an old-timey cloak. "Hey! What did you do with that woman?! Where is she?!" I yelled, shining my light in his direction. I regretted doing so immediately.

His visage froze me in place. I noticed the eyes first. Pitch black except for an eerie violet glow within. They seemed...hungry. His skin was mottled grey and green and pulled so tightly against his frame that each angle and curve of his face kitted out grotesquely. Last of all, I noticed the teeth. The bottom half of his face was split into an impossibly wide grin, his teeth yellowed and sharp, but most striking was the sheer amount of them. Rows upon rows like a shark. He spoke.

"Pardon me, dear girl, but I believe we met earlier this evening. I do apologize for the grisly scene you witnessed." he said, but his mouth hadn't moved at all. It stayed frozen in that ghastly grin. His voice was smooth and even, not sounding at all like I expected it to. If I hadn't been staring into his gaping maw, I would have sworn the voice came from a young man.

"What d-do you want?" I asked with much less confidence than before.

"Want? I want for nothing, dear girl, I take." he replied.

"Take?" was all I could muster. My hands were beginning to shake. My body was displaying my fear, though I tried hard to stop it.

"Yes. Take. Whatever I desire. Doesn't that sound nice?"

I shook my head. "You can't just--" my voice caught in my throat as he began to drift toward me.

"Who will stop me?" he asked softly.

I took a step backward. "Stay away from me!" I shouted.

A throaty chuckle was his only reply. Then, same as before, the air popped and he vanished. I looked around wildly, trying to locate him. I decided now was my chance and made a dash toward the mouth of the alley. Another chuckle emanated from behind me. I turned to look only to run headlong into this thing more creature than man. I froze, unable to move or speak.

"I ask again, girl. Who will stop me?" He reached out and stroked my hair. His fingernails were sharp and yellowed, like his teeth and his skin was cool to the touch. He knotted his fingers in my ponytail.

I watched, eyes wide with terror as he lowered his face to my neck and inhaled deeply. "Exquisite!" he breathed.

The last thing I heard before everything vanished was that soft little 'pop'.

November 09, 2020 06:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.