21 comments

Sad

I walk into the room I haven’t seen in years.

The only light coming into the room is from the moon outside, and the lamp on the nightstand with its next stretched up. I haven’t been inside this room for years.

The bed sits with its headboard against the wall the color of stones, two neat rows of polaroid pictures lined above the headboard. A white comforter is draped over it, with four gingerbread colored pillows stacked neatly on top. The bed is on top of the silver patterned carpet, soft between my toes as I walk on it.

I tug the cord to lower the shutters, blocking off the moonlight. The only sign of someone caring for this room is the lush plants growing from the pots resting on the ledge, the tips reaching for the fading light. 

Vines from one plant on a high shelf tumble down to the ledge, intertwined with the soft blinking lights I turn on that are hung over the top of the blinds. The lights are strung around the room, the bulbs twinkling in the dark.

A basket sits at the end of the bed with folded quilts and an old stuffed toy resting on top.

None of this is what I’m looking for.

The closet is hidden if not for the small round handles in the door. I slide the doors open, and they disappear into the wall. It’s split in the middle with a bookshelf, drawers on one side, racks to hang clothes on the other. The clothes are the ones I remember, fit for a child. I push the clothes aside, and see the small crate sitting on the shelf.

I sit it on the desk, and lift the lid. 

The box contains a birth certificate, a newspaper clipping, and a binder filled with photographs.

I lift the cover, my fingers running over the name engraved in gold. The first page has photos of an infant, wrapped in a soft looking blanket. Pictures from different angles, that all seemed too special to get rid of.

The next chapter of the child’s life is captured in class pictures and birthday shots. Grinning with missing teeth, waving from the top of trees, fingers buried in a dog's fur.

I flip through pages of older kids, their laughter frozen in time, their arms around each other.

The pictures stop very suddenly, leaving lots of pages blank. Newspaper clippings banning guns, old letters that all start with, I’m sorry for your loss, and a diploma never handed to its owner.

I set the book down. So that’s what happened. I’ve always wondered why, and...now I know.


November 18, 2021 16:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

KED KED
19:50 Nov 18, 2021

Oh. Wow. That was quite poignant. Way to make the reader feel something with so few words...

Reply

Ari Berri
21:24 Nov 19, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Heya! Haven't talked in a really long time. I still remember you were the first person I talked to on Reedsy. How's thing's been going? Also, quick question, does the "😉" emoji mean like a flirt or something? Or, how would you describe it? Like for example "bye 😉" That was really random lol. But your story--the ending was so sad :( Yet, it was really descriptive, I loved it <3

Reply

Show 0 replies

berri i love that last name dfsoierioewf

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jexica Marcell
20:03 Dec 07, 2021

Hey love! We haven't talked in a while, but if you don't remember, I used to be Cassia. My EX pen name lol. So, I'm a #BioStalker and I read your whole bio! I have to be honest. I am in love with Alec Benjamin and MY FAVORITE SONG IS GREEK GOD BY CONAN GRAY!!!! I think its the vocals, but that song is fire. You are literally so cool!!!! P.S - Do you know Avis Kay? She's my bestie irl, and she told me about you and I was like, "I FOLLOW THEM!"

Reply

Ari Berri
19:28 Dec 15, 2021

No, I definitely remember you. Hi =) I love Greek God, and Conan is by far my favorite artist. And, yeah, I talk to them occasionally, I haven't much recently, but yes. How are you?

Reply

Jexica Marcell
22:50 Dec 15, 2021

Im good!!! Dealing with heartbreak and falling AGAIN but great! How about you?

Reply

Ari Berri
03:51 Dec 25, 2021

Merry Christmas! (If you celebrate it) I can feel that, I fall way too fast for people. I'm pretty good. Staying healthy and all that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
20:33 Dec 03, 2021

Well this was very descriptive, and the fact that it's pretty short, too. That is such an accomplishment! This felt a bit dreamlike, in a way, like a sad nostalgic dream. Also, how have you been? (I don't know if you remember me, from about a year ago) I haven't checked Reedsy in so long lmao, glad to see people like you are still posting great stories though!

Reply

Ari Berri
20:40 Dec 03, 2021

Thank you so much! I wanted it to be really descriptive, so I'm glad you liked it. I've been pretty good, you? Yeah, I remember you =) Reedsy got pretty toxic, so a lot of people left. I still post stories from time to time, though.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
20:42 Dec 03, 2021

Well you definitely achieved that I've been doing okay, lots of ups and downs lmao Reedsy had gotten pretty toxic, I left for about a year but I guess I'm back? I haven't stopped writing though, and I'm thinking of posting a part of a trilogy I'm currently working on. I did just post a poem though, if you want to read it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
06:47 Nov 24, 2021

Hey, Ari! Though this piece was short, I really enjoyed it's descriptiveness. The fact that length was concise was really nice and your words gave me some really good imagery of the bedroom. As always, it's lovely to read one of your stories! Hope you're doing well :)

Reply

Ari Berri
19:59 Dec 03, 2021

Thank you! I'm doing well, you?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
03:34 Dec 04, 2021

No worries! I'm doing well, it's nearly the end of my school year. How are you?

Reply

Ari Berri
20:26 Dec 09, 2021

I'm good. Finals are coming up, so I'm working on that. How are you?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
05:08 Dec 15, 2021

That’s good to hear. I’m alright myself, my term just finished so I can finally have a break. Are you planning on writing more after finals?

Reply

Ari Berri
19:26 Dec 15, 2021

That's good, mine finishes on Thursday. I hope so. I write on other platforms, and after all the toxicity on this one, I kinda stopped writing on here. I post occasionally, though, when I write something short.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
23:29 Jan 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
17:59 Nov 18, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ari Berri
18:57 Nov 18, 2021

Thank you :) I'm glad. I wanted it to be really descriptive, though I know it's just describing a bedroom

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.