In the Simpleton Library

Submitted into Contest #211 in response to: Begin your story with a librarian searching for something.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Funny

“Oh, where is it this time…” Harris the librarian muttered as he started rooting around his desk. “Not here… perhaps on a shelf again? It does like to wander…” Harris was an older fellow, but a good hand to have around the library. Most didn’t even visit unless they knew he’d be there. Harris was always good for a story or two, and knew where just about every book in the library belonged, and all the people who visited the library, including their preferences. He spoke in three languages, and signed in quite a few languages as well. If Harris didn’t know something, then he knew where to look and who to go to. “Perhaps the book carts…”

Harris slowly made his way through the library. His thin and wispy white hair gave off a spectral feel, which amused most, though some thought it was a sign that he was the ghost of the library. Harris glanced over at the children’s section and decided to start there. Cole was there with his daughter, listening as she babbled about with her puppet play. It was really quite cute. Cole noticed Harris and signed a greeting. Harris nodded and signed back before the two returned to what they needed to do. Cole needed to apparently listen to his daughter’s version of Sleeping Beauty while Harris still needed to find what he was looking for.

Harris quietly searched the book carts in the children’s section and shook his head. “Not here…” He muttered before continuing onward. “Perhaps history?” The history section was filled with books about world history, from the ancient Egyptians and other African nations, to the more modern achievements and notices such as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Harris took notice of a few of the local teens studying for an upcoming assignment, but none needed his aid at the moment, so he pressed on. He checked the book carts in the area, even going so far as to check the shelves and chests, as well as some artifacts that remained in the library from the olden days before the museum had been made. “Not here either… oh bother, where is it?” He muttered before putting a shield back into the arms of a suit of armor.

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.” Harris shook his head and continued on. “Let’s try the fictional sections next. Fantasy sometimes has it…”

Harris made his way through to the Fantasy section where he scowled at the floor. It was covered in some sort of glittery substance! He shook his head and walked over to a broom that was leaning against a shelf. He gently grabbed the broom and started to sweep up all the glitter.

He sighed. “Fairies and Pixies… its always fairies and pixies around here… whatever happened to a good old friendly dragon story?” He glanced at his watch. “Ugh, I really don’t have time for this. Do you mind continuing without me?” The broom in hand easily shifted out of the old man’s grasp and continued sweeping, even going so far as to rap on a shelf, getting the attention of a nearby dustpan. “Thank you kindly, I still need to find what I’m looking for.”

Harris checked the nearby carts, but still wasn’t able to find what he was looking for. He shook his head and glanced at the broom and dustpan as they finished cleaning up the pixie and fairy dust from the last set of kids that had ran through chasing fairytales. He smirked favorably and nodded before continuing on.

“Perhaps the… ah, yes, it must be in the Adventure section!” Harris smiled as he picked up his pace. He paused only as he reached a set of shelves that seemed like they were the entrance to a snowy pass. “Ugh, someone let out the yeti again, didn’t they?” Harris sighed. He walked over to a closet and grabbed snowshoes and coat, as well as a set of snow goggles. “Let’s get this over with.” He then whistled. A dog sled came by within seconds. “Ah good. Franklin, how’s the snow today?”

“Just fine, Mr. Harris. Sorry about the mess. My sister wanted to read up on the Golden Compass, and, well… you know…” A short boy, about ten, with dark skin, was driving the dog sled. The sled had a strong team of huskies. “I tried to warn her about the books, but you know college students, they don’t listen to their ten year old brothers, heh.”

Harris nodded as he climbed onboard the sled. “Yes, the out of towners are a bit of a hazard. Did she get somewhere safe?”

“I think so. I believe I saw her with your compass.”

“AH, so that’s where that went! I’ve been looking all over the library for it. Honestly, she should stick with the children’s section. Things barely act up there, and with all the artifacts back here, well I suppose I’m just glad it wasn’t Treasure Island she opened, though that is a classic.”

“Indeed, sir. MUSH!” Franklin called out to the dogs after the librarian was settled. With that, the team and its two passengers made their way deep into the snow filled section of the library. “I don’t think she’s doing well with the rules, sir.”

“Indeed. No one is to take artifacts from my desk because they cause books to act up! I don’t mind so much when it’s the fantasy section, a knight or fairy always comes to the rescue, but the Adventure section, my word. Let’s hope to reach her before she gets to the Horror section!”

“Oh stars! Mush!” Franklin urged the dogs on faster, hoping to find his sister before that too. Thankfully, it wasn’t to long before they found her camped out in an igloo made of books with a man giving her a lecture about the dangers of travelling in the snow without the proper equipment. “Isn’t that…?”

“Tenzing, you’re in the wrong section again!” Harris called out as the sled came to a stop.

The Tibetan mountaineer turned towards the librarian and started saying something in a language only the librarian could understand. The librarian grimaced and held out a hand while explaining the situation in the man’s native language. Tenzing seemed to understand and handed over a small object. It was a small golden compass that was etched with ancient symbols and had a faint glowing light.

Harris closed it and nodded before pocketing it. “Come along, miss. You are very fortunate that Tenzing was nearby, but he’s still got to finish his route to Mt. Everest’s top. This is merely a stop along the way. His party isn’t too far, so he’ll catch up easy enough. Let’s get back to the front of the library. Goodness knows you are in way over your head.”

The girl was shaking, cold and scared, but her younger brother led her to the sled and covered her in a blanket. Franklin then pulled something else off of the sled. “I picked this up from a ski lodge I found the sled and dogs at, sir.” He handed Harris a snowboard. “I don’t think I can fit all three of us on the sled, sorry.”

Harris merely grinned. “Not a problem, Franklin. I’ll see you two at the desk. Send a flare if you need me!” With that, old Mr. Harris, the local librarian, grabbed the snowboard, and the book on Mt. Everest. “I’ll be stopping by History to put this back where it goes, then I’ll meet you at checkout.” With that, Mr. Harris took a running jump onto the snowboard, and started off towards the History section of the library. He really needed to make sure that all new comers saw the sign about the artifacts. If Franklin wasn’t so well experienced with the adventure section, who knows what might have happened to his sister.

Half an hour later, Harris was locking up the golden compass back in his front desk when Franklin and his sister came up. Franklin, as usual, had a pile of books, and his checked out artifact. His sister still looked shocked. “Thanks for the help, earlier, Mr. Harris. Janet here is still in a bit of shock, but I’ll keep an eye on her.”

“You do that, Franklin. Artifacts are only to be checked out by those who’ve undergone training or are with an adult who has. You were very luck that Franklin knows what to do in an emergency, Ms. Janet. Hopefully, next time you visit, you’ll be wiser and either avoid the artifacts, or simply remain in the children’s section. There’s always someone around to help if you have questions, and the children’s section has wards against the artifacts acting up without permission. Now, if you’ll excuse me,” He came out from behind his desk with a large cart full of gadgets and what not. “I need to return some of this to the Science and Math section, as well as the Science Fiction section. Jack got a bit ahead of himself and left a mess while researching again.” With a chuckle, Mr. Harris walked off again towards the depths of the library.

“He’s crazy…” Janet finally said.

“Pfft, naw.” Franklin smiled. “He’s just a librarian.”

August 19, 2023 01:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.