2 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction Romance

Part 1

The night was cold and dark as the full moon rose in the sky. Jackson, a teenage werewolf, felt the transformation happening inside him. His bones cracked and his muscles stretched as he felt the fur sprouting from his skin. He howled in pain and ecstasy as he became the creature he was destined to be.

Jackson had inherited the werewolf gene from his father, who had passed away a year ago. His mother had remarried and they had moved to a new town, where nobody knew about his secret. But Jackson couldn't keep the wolf inside him forever. He needed to let it out, to run free and hunt under the moonlight.

As he sprinted through the forest, he felt a strange sensation in his chest. It was like his heart was being pulled towards something, or somewhere. He followed the feeling, running faster and faster until he reached a clearing.

And that's when he saw it. A swirling vortex of light, shimmering and pulsating in the middle of the clearing. Jackson felt an irresistible urge to jump into it, to see where it would take him. And without hesitation, he did.

Part 2

Jackson felt like he was falling, but he couldn't see anything around him. It was like he was in the middle of a black void. But then he saw a faint light in the distance, and he started to move towards it.

As he got closer, he realized that he was no longer in the forest. He was in a different place, a different time. The air was thick with the smell of incense and the sound of chanting. He looked around and saw that he was in a temple, surrounded by monks in robes.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" one of the monks asked him in Japanese.

Jackson didn't speak Japanese, but somehow he understood the monk's question. He tried to explain that he was lost, that he didn't know how he got there. But the monks didn't seem to believe him. They thought he was a demon, or a spy from a rival clan.

Before Jackson could say anything else, he felt another pull in his chest. It was like the vortex was calling him back. And without warning, he was sucked into it again.

Part 3

This time, Jackson found himself in a different place. He was standing on a dirt road, surrounded by rice fields and mountains in the distance. He looked down at his hands and realized that he was still a werewolf. But he didn't feel the same wild energy he had before. It was like the transformation had been dampened, restricted.

As he walked down the road, he saw a group of people ahead. They were dressed in strange clothes, carrying swords and spears. But they didn't look like warriors. They looked like peasants, farmers.

Jackson approached them cautiously, trying to communicate with them in English. But they didn't understand him. And then he realized that he wasn't in his own time anymore. He had traveled to a different era, a different country.

As he walked through the countryside, he saw more and more evidence of his new surroundings. The architecture was different, the people were different, everything was different. But there was one thing that remained the same. The pull in his chest, the feeling that there was something he needed to find.

Part 4

It didn't take long for Jackson to encounter his first demon. It was a creature unlike anything he had ever seen before. It had horns and fangs, and its skin was black and scaly. It was an Oni, a demon from Japanese folklore.

Jackson tried to fight it, but he quickly realized that his werewolf powers were weakened in this era. The Oni was too strong for him, too fast. It seemed like he was going to be defeated, until he heard a voice in his head.

"Use the flowers."

It was a strange voice, but somehow Jackson understood what it meant. He remembered that he had read about a certain flower that was used to ward off demons in Japanese mythology. He didn't know where to find it, but he knew he had to try.

He ran, dodging the Oni's attacks, until he found a field of flowers. They were white, delicate, and beautiful. He grabbed as many as he could carry and ran back to the Oni.

He threw the flowers at the demon, and it screamed in pain. The flowers had burned its skin, like holy water to a vampire. Jackson used the opportunity to strike, and he managed to defeat the Oni.

Part 5

As Jackson continued to travel through feudal Japan, he encountered more and more demons. Each time, he had to use his knowledge of Japanese mythology to find a way to defeat them. He learned about Yuki-onna, the snow woman, who was said to be both beautiful and deadly. And he knew that he needed to be careful, because falling in love with a Yuki-onna could be dangerous.

One day, as Jackson was walking through a forest, he heard a woman's voice calling out to him. He followed the voice, and soon he saw her. She was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Her skin was as white as snow, and her hair was as black as the night sky.

She was a Yuki-onna, and she introduced herself as Yumi. Jackson was enchanted by her, and they spent hours talking and getting to know each other. He learned that she was kind and gentle, and that she had a deep love for nature.

As they walked through the forest, Jackson couldn't help but feel drawn to her. He knew that he was in love with her, and he hoped that she felt the same way.

As they walked, the cherry blossom trees started to bloom, and the petals flowed in the wind like snowflakes. Yumi smiled and looked up at the trees, and Jackson knew that this was the perfect moment.

He took a deep breath and reached into his pocket, pulling out a small bouquet of cherry blossoms. He held them out to Yumi, and said, "I know we come from different worlds, but I hope that these flowers can show you how much I care about you."

Yumi's eyes widened with surprise, and then she smiled. She took the flowers from him and held them close to her chest, and Jackson knew that his gesture had touched her.

And then, without warning, she leaned in and kissed him. It was a soft, gentle kiss, but it was filled with all the love and tenderness that Jackson had been feeling for her.

They stood there, kissing under the cherry blossom trees, as the petals flowed in the wind around them. And for a moment, Jackson felt like he was exactly where he was supposed to be.

Part 6

But as much as he loved Yumi and the world he had discovered, Jackson knew that he couldn't stay there forever. He had a life back in his own time, and he had to go back to it.

He said goodbye to Yumi, promising that he would never forget her or the time they had spent together. And then he walked towards the vortex, feeling the pull in his chest once again.

As he jumped into the vortex, he felt a sense of sadness wash over him. He knew that he was leaving behind a world that he had grown to love, and a woman that he had fallen in love with.

But as he emerged on the other side, he saw that he was back in his own time. He was standing in the middle of the forest, with the moon shining above him.

He looked down at his hands and saw that he was no longer a werewolf. He had returned to his human form, but he knew that he had changed forever.

He walked back to his house, feeling like a different person. He knew that he had discovered a part of himself that he never knew existed, and that he would never forget the world he had visited.

And as he lay in his bed, staring up at the ceiling, he closed his eyes and let the memories of his time in feudal Japan wash over him. He knew that he had experienced something truly extraordinary, and that he would carry it with him for the rest of his life.

March 25, 2023 05:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Russell Mickler
17:20 Apr 04, 2023

Hey James! Ooo a werewolf story! I can get into this! I liked the intro in part one, setting the scene and setting up the encounter in part two. The monks I didn't see coming, nor the time/plane travel bits. Jackson is having a very eventful evening! Using flowers to combat a demon, very creative and probably true to some Japanese tradition. OH and there's a love story! Each setting transition could have been its own story. Jackson experienced quite a bit - I was unclear, though, whether or not he was cured of his lycanthropy when he got...

Reply

22:03 May 20, 2023

Yea I wanted to hit several bases but realized I had to constrain it was originally longer and I know I went past the required limit. I was honestly hoping for some good feedback because I might try to turn this into a book series.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.