Spirit Ledge

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

“What are you doing out here Niamh?”, the grey wolf asked.

 

“Same as you; just watching the stars,” Niamh replied.

 

“Yeah… spirit ledge sure is special,” He concurred.

 

The grey wolves sat together, peering up at the dimly lit night sky. The moon gave off a fluorescent glow. Allowing the features of the land and mountains in the distance to be seen. The moon was corralled by stars. The occasional asteroid or space station seemed to narrowly miss its grey figure. The wolves sat looking into the night sky, as if waiting expectantly for someone to come, for something more to happen. Both faces were placid, yet their ears were up. They seemed to be searching for a sound that would drown out the eerie silence.

 

“You’re not just here to watch the stars, are you?” Niamh asked, releasing her neck from its upright position and turning it towards the other wolf.

 

The grey wolf looked toward Niamh and replied, “Yeah… I’m not. I’m just wondering if mom’s stories are true.”

 

“Me too Aaron. I just want to believe so badly- I feel like our time was too short.” Niamh said. She slumped her shoulders and tilted her head towards the ground.

 

“Yeah…” Aaron added. He trailed off, unable to find the right words.

 

The two sat in silence for a moment, scanning the landscape that the night had veiled in darkness. Then, Niamh broke the silence, “Sooo… how’s leadership going? You’ve been quite busy lately and I haven’t had the chance to talk to you,” She finished, forcing a.

 

“It’s been a lot, I’ve had a lot on my paws recently, sorry about that…” Aaron answered.

 

“No- it’s alright, I know leadership’s demanding,” Niamh responded.

 

Aaron nodded his head, “Yeah, I just wish dad were here to guide me.” He sighed and continued, “Why did he have to be so brave and selfless? I could have bought us some time- died for the good of the pack.”

 

Aaron’s eyes met the ground, “Why couldn’t he have let me? I’m not half the alpha he was.”

 

“Don’t say that Aaron- you know dad wouldn’t like that,” Niamh responded.

 

“But what if it’s true- I mean, Daren’s a great beta and teacher but it’s so much,” Aaron said.

 

He sighed, “Niamh, I-I,” he paused, “am considering stepping down.”

 

Niamh’s eyes dilated and her mouth went wide, “But- you can’t!”

 

“I’m just not like dad! He was strong, brave and kind! The pack’s better off in Daren’s hands anyway…” Aaron said, looking away from Niamh.

 

“He trusted that you would lead us; he died for you because he knew that you would be a good alpha,” Niamh responded.

 

“I agree,” A voice added.

 

Both turned their heads toward the dark forest, stepping into the moonlight, was none other than Daren. His dark coat had concealed his presence from the two young wolves. Daren moved onto the ledge and spoke, “Your father wouldn’t have done what he did If he didn’t have faith in you,” He continued, “He always spoke of you two; of how proud he was and what a bright future the pack had in your paws.”

 

“But what if it doesn’t- I’m just so uncertain…” Aaron said. He looked towards Daren, his ears flattened against his head.

 

“Just like your father.”

 

“Like our father?” Niamh asked.

 

Daren nodded his head, “Yes, just like- wait! Did he not tell you?”

 

“About what?”, asked Aaron.

 

“About his- here let me tell you a story about your father,” Daren said, a smile growing across his face.

 

“It was the day you father was made alpha, he was terrified,” Daren started.

 

Niamh cocked her head slightly, “Of what?”

 

“Leadership!”, Daren said, “Being an alpha- having greater responsibility.”

 

“He was?”, Aaron asked.

 

“Yes- most certainly. When it came time for the ceremony, he was nowhere to be found,” Daren stated, chuckling as he finished.

 

“I found him hiding in a log- with his tail tucked between his legs!”, Daren hollered, “Oh, what a sight it was.”

 

Aaron’s ears perked up, “Then how did he become alpha?”

 

“Well… long story short- I dragged him clawing and barking all the way back to the ceremony,” Daren said.

 

Daren looked at Aaron, “Just like you, he was uncertain: that he could live up to his father’s legacy, protect the pack- handle the responsibility.”

 

“My dad was really the same?”, Aaron asked.

 

Daren answered, “Yes! All that and worse- I must say, you’ve been taking it quite well. Everyone agrees, you’re bound to be a great leader.”

 

“A wise elder once told me; that the best alphas are those who don’t want to become one,” Daren said, looking up towards the sky.

 

Aaron and Niamh looked on, waiting eagerly for Daren to continue, “I have another story to tell you about your father.”

 

Eagerly, the siblings nodded their heads. Daren turned his head to them and spoke, “No more than a few moons into his reign, we were attacked by a group of wandering loners.”

 

“They ambushed us while we were out hunting- your father and I,” Daren said, “We doubled back to the pack- alerting them for the oncoming invasion.”

 

“They chased after us- yet we were faster. Quickly, he rallied the others and effectively protected the pack,” Daren finished and looked out into the night.

 

“That day, he gained a new-found strength and courage. He never questioned his leadership again,” Daren finished, he sat and observed the night sky.

 

“Spirit ledge; quite a place really,” Daren said. He breathed in the damp, mountain air. Its scent was thick with pine, frozen by snow, stirring with an icy chill. The three wolves watched the night sky diligently, admiring every part of it. The wind stopped and everything was still, the stars stopped flickering, meteors stopped moving; everything was still.

 

Niamh broke the silence, “Daren, do you believe the stories?”

 

“About this place? I would like to,” He bit his lip, “They might be true… or they might not be.”

 

“I think what really matters... is the essence of this place,” Daren responded.

 

“The essence of spirit ledge?”, Niamh asked.

 

“Yes- the essence. Being here helps you to remember those who have passed on- even if you can’t see them, this place helps you feel them,” Daren responded, turning towards Niamh.

 

“Yes it does,” A voice agreed.

February 06, 2020 17:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.