1 comment

Fantasy Sad

I have not enjoyed life for a while now. I’m a Teacher in my family, and I teach the Caster a terrible burden. It weighs on us both heavily. I almost wish we could switch positions. I’m an old man, and I don’t want to go through these lessons again. I don’t want to teach someone else how they’re going to die. 

There is a powerful demon that once plagued these lands. Our family, the Zindels, protected our hometown from it with a powerful, terrible sealing magic. The Death Lock. A magical seal that is fueled with the soul of the Caster. But this seal is not powerful enough to stop it forever. Every 25 years, we must recast it. 

Ever since the demon was sealed, we’ve had two powerful positions to fill in our family. The Teacher, which is I. We maintain the knowledge of the Death Lock, and eventually teach it. The Caster receives this knowledge and is blessed with the best life our family and this town can give them. But it comes at the terrible cost of protecting this town just as they enter their prime. 

I’ve taught one Caster already. My own brother. I miss him dearly. And now I…

“Hi dad! I’m ready for today’s lesson!” Arthur says happily.

I have to teach my son. My son was determined to have the most potential magically out of everyone in this damned family. And I despise this situation.

I smile at my son lukewarmly. My son looks at me strangely, and I think it’s cause he noticed I’m bitter about this. It shouldn’t be him. I already lost my brother. 

“Today…” I say sadly.

I sigh and approach a blackboard. Then I begin drawing the circle.

“Today we learn how to make the seal on paper.” I say hesitantly.

I hear my son groan annoyedly.

“Man, I wanted to use the cool bone chalk again.” he complains.

I chuckle half-heartedly.

“It’s weird to hear a kid excited to play with bones.” I say amusedly.

“I like the sound it makes as we draw with it!” Arthur says happily.

“It’s a neat sound, I suppose.” I say amusedly.

I ruffle my son’s hair and he smiles at me. My son’s a cute kid. He’s only up to my knee right now, nice and carefree. Mostly…

“Dad, are you sure the seal is fine?” Arthur asks me, concerned.

I nod quickly. We were walking past the forbidden courtyard. It holds a large, pitch black pyramid with an evil purple aura. It’s wrapped in white chains that are nailed deeply into the floor beside it. And painted across the front of it is our family symbol, glowing bright white with the soul of my brother. It’s a shield with the face of a squirrel in the center. Apparently it represents our willingness to defend our lands, and our extreme perseverance.

I wish we weren’t so willing to.

“I can’t wait to reseal it. I’ll feel better in heaven when everyone is safe.” Arthur says nervously.

I growl angrily and start walking faster.

“What’s wrong dad?” Arthur asks, concerned.

“Nothing, I’m just hungry.” I say bitterly.

My son is up to my stomach now. Today he doesn’t train, so we get to have fun. These are the moments my son think it’s all worth it. The townsfolk have prepared a festival for everyone with games and even a pet zoo came into town. To me, it feels like a petty apology. Everyone is too nice to us. I understand why, but if anything, I wish one of them would step up and take his place.

Why must the Zindels make the sacrifice? What if these people run out of Zindels to sacrifice? What then?

“Dad, look! There’s a magician!” Arthur says happily.

We watch the magician perform his tricks. Arthur loves how he pulls a rabbit out his hat. How he swallows a sword and pulls it back out. And how he creates small balls of flame to juggle. 

A fond memory…

“I love you, bud.” I say seriously.

I wrap my arm around Arthur, and pull him close.

“I love you too.” he says happily.

My son’s a teenager now, and he isn’t rebelling at all. If anything, he’s taking this more seriously than before. 

“Your son is so diligent. He’s a hero of the town.” My sister Sarah says proudly.

I growl angrily and grit my teeth.

“Why are you angry? I didn’t do anything.” Sarah asks annoyedly.

“Tell me why I should care if they think he’s a hero. To me, they’re leeches.” I say bitterly.

My sister’s jaw drops, shocked and appalled.

“Do you really think that?” she asks.

I look her in the eyes, deadly serious.

“My son shouldn’t be the one dying. I’d trade them all for him and my brother.” I say angrily.

“That’s messed up, dad.” Arthur says nervously.

Further down the hall, my son had stepped out of his room. For a brief moment, he really did look heroic and selfless. But then I remember he’s my son, and I become angrily protective once more.

“Son, I love you and appreciate what you’re doing. But you shouldn’t have to. I don’t even know why they’re worth it. They’re taking advantage of us.” I say angrily.

My sister’s eyes turn from shock to a glare. While my son sighs sadly.

“I love this town, dad. It has done so much for us. So many parties, good food, and blessings from kind people.” Arthur says nicely.

I smack the side of my fist against a wall, making my sister jump a little. I grit my teeth and growl loudly.

“They only do it out of guilt for what they’re forcing us to do!” I snap angrily.

Arthur sighs once more.

“They don’t have a choice, dad. No one else knows how to seal the demon but us. And I’m the best one for the job. I need to do it. For everyone’s sake.” Arthur says seriously.

I was silent for a few seconds, his empathetic stare bearing down on me. I knew in some way I was in the wrong, but dammit! 

“You’re my son! I shouldn’t have to lose you! I’d rather they all die than lose another family member!” I yell angrily.

“That’s not fair dad! That’s selfish!” Arthur says earnestly.

“Who cares!? They can go to hell for all I care!” I yell furiously.

I stormed off. The next day would come, to teach him once more. But we didn’t have a lesson. Instead I just argued with the benevolent wall that is my son.

“Dad, I just want to say trading me for the lives of the town isn’t worth it. That’s hundreds of lives for one person.” Arthur says nicely.

I broke the chalk in my hand. Then I spin on my heel to face him. It was like staring up at an angel defiantly. 

“Hasn’t the Zindels been through enough?” I ask bitterly.

“Dad, this is necessary. The demon is in our backyard. We all see how powerful he truly is. The ground around him is dead. And we feel weak around the pyramid.” Arthur says seriously.

“Why do you believe they deserve our help?” I ask bitterly.

“Because they didn’t do anything wrong. They make life great for us. And they’re good people.” Arthur says earnestly.

I sigh sadly.

“Not everyone here is good. There’s still crime like anywhere else. At best, our town is a bit prettier.” I say half-heartedly.

This was like looking up at an angel, and saying we deserved to be abandoned. 

“I still won’t give up on them. I’ll do what’s necessary. No matter what you think.” Arthur says with firm determination.

Then they refuse to leave us to die. It’s ridiculous.

My son is as tall as me now. He’s twenty, in fact. He’s beloved by everyone, and I’ve nearly accepted it. 

But today he met a beautiful girl. Time passes, and they’re in love. I’m happy for him, but it makes me hate this situation more. I swear, I’ll end it all before I teach his child how to do this. 

Two years pass, and they get married. Then his wife is pregnant, and he has a child. There’s only two years left. My son won’t see his own son grow to become an adult.

“Why don’t you run off with your family?” I ask quietly.

My son freezes in place, then looks at me with a furious determination in his eyes.

“I am not abandoning this town. I’ve told you this hundreds of times.” Arthur says angrily.

He starts to walk away. I sigh as he does. I go to my room, preparing to sleep. And then, an idea enters my mind. 

I approach the Pyramid. My family’s burden. This damned family. I suppose I must respect my son’s wish in general. But he will not die. I will.

I am a father. I have my own responsibilities, more important than this village. My son doesn’t need to be the fuel. I will suffice, and to hell with anyone’s complaints. 

I pull out the ritual dagger. This was once just an ordinary heirloom. A knife crafted from the metal of a meteor. It had a unique silver surface covered in black ripples. And with generations of use, it has become a dull red.

I pulled out the bone chalk, and prepared the ritual circle. It was our family crest, except the squirrel’s head was a skull with my first name written in the left eye, and my last in the right. Conrad Zindel.

I sit on my knees in the ritual circle, and bring the knife to my stomach. I pull back far, and stab myself in the stomach. The pain is immense, and for a brief moment. I consider quitting. 

“Dad! What are you doing!?” Arthur yells fearfully.

His voice fills me with determination. It’s fuelled by love and a desperation for him to thrive.

“There’s no need for a young man to die when I’m right here.” I complain bitterly.

I drag the knife across my stomach. Then I call upon my magical might. I reach out to the Pyramid, and unleash my power upon it. As my mana touches it, I feel myself grow cold. I feel fear as an overwhelming presence looms over me.

“Dad, stop! This isn’t your burden, it’s mine!” Arthur yells desperately.

I hear my son running behind me. I unleash a powerful wind, knocking him back into the house. Then I focus on the demon.

“I am Conrad Zildan. I am your opponent. Respect me, and prepare to kneel.” I say angrily.

I unleash my full might. Every ounce of mana my being possesses. All for my son’s sake. My mana and the demon’s clash, a storm of black and red clouds swirling furiously around one another. It’s like a tornado in my backyard as a tree begins to be uprooted. But I hold firm.

“You will not defeat me!” I yell furiously.

The ritual circle starts glowing bright red and my power surges beyond my limits. I feel my mana coming out so fast and powerfully my body begins to turn to dust, as if I was being burned alive. It hurt, but it was worth it. I could see my mana overwhelming the demon, surrounding the pyramid in the aura of my red mana. Red with my fury at this damned village and my life.

But with this act, I… only postpone the inevitable. I turn back to see my son, and I know one of two things will happen. He will become the new Teacher. Or later on, he will sacrifice himself like I am now. That’s just how he is. I’ve only bought him a few years of blessed happiness.

I turn back to the Pyramid. My body is halfway gone. I’m not kneeling, I’ve lost my legs and fallen over. But my hands are still pointed at the pyramid. I’m still sealing it. 

Because my son will be happy. No matter what. Even if it’s just for a short time…

September 26, 2023 18:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Kailani B.
15:56 Oct 05, 2023

I think you've got potential, but if you're writing fantasy it might be better to leave the 21st century lingo behind, things like "That’s messed up," "cool," and "neat." And maybe try replacing some adverbs with action, for instance: “Hi dad! I’m ready for today’s lesson!” Arthur says, smiling up at me from behind his desk, his little legs kicking in the air. And “You will not defeat me!” I roar. You'll probably end up adding more words, but never underestimate the reader's ability to understand basic emotions via simple actions. Happy ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.