1 comment

Drama Fiction Holiday

Using my straw, I casually swirl the ice cubes inside my cocktail as tears silently run down my cheeks and onto my black velvet dress. The bar is busy with the rustle and bustle of happy, boisterous souls celebrating the conclusion of yet another long year. Ted, the bartender, walks by and asks if I'd like another. I lazily nod my head and finish the last few sips that remained in front of me.

 A few moments later, he returns with a fresh beverage. He gives me an empathetic smile as he softly sets the glass down and tosses the dirty one in the sink underneath the bar. I sip the tangy concoction while I mindlessly gaze at him mixing various drinks together before they're quickly snatched up by the group of drunken girls encircling the countertop.

I'm daydreaming of happier days when suddenly I hear a feminine voice to the right of me. I look over and realize that a beautifully aged woman is sitting on the bar stool next to me. At first glance, I noticed she had big hair, meticulously teased and pinned into a half updo. Her bold, baby blue eyeshadow sparkled in the light, along with her matching sequin dress. Her legs were crossed as she was rhythmically swaying her free black go-go boot to the beat of the music. 

I pull myself back to reality when I realize she is speaking to me. I clumsily set my drink down on the bar, clear my throat and utter, " My apologies, what were you saying?"

She lets out an innocent chuckle and repeats herself, " I was complimenting you on your dress. It's really beautiful—much too pretty for sadness."

The corners of my lips curl into a smile as I feel my face becoming hot and flushed.  

"Thank—Thank you. I really like your dress, as well. It's very, uhm, festive," I manage to get out without sounding like a complete dunce.  

She grins at me, takes a sip of her cocktail and then continues, " Why is a pretty girl like yourself so sad on New year's? Now is not the time for tears. It's the time for reflection and celebration!" 

" I don't exactly have anything to celebrate.  My ex, Robbie, texted me a few days ago. He was saying everything I wanted to hear and I believed him of course. So I agreed to give him a second chance. Well,  we were supposed to be going out together tonight, but he stood me up.  He wanted to get drunk and party with his friends instead. I was already dressed up when I got the text so I decided to go ahead and grab a drink by myself," I shake my head in disdain as I let out a forced laugh. 

"Wow. That's even more lame now that I've said it outloud. I probably should just go back home actually. " 

She impulsively shouts, " Oh, hogwash!" 

She promptly jumps up, gently grabbing my arm in one hand and snatching up her bar stool with the other.  I struggle for my purse as she pulls me away and hastily guides me to the bathroom.

"Hey, you can't take that in there, Rosetta!" Ted is shouting from behind the bar. She ignores him and keeps walking, completely unphased. Once we're inside, she locks the door behind us and sets the stool against the wall.

"You're going to get into trouble with Ted, Rosetta—pretty name by the way." I say submissively as I wipe my nose and eyes with a paper towel.

" Well, thank you for that dear and don't mind Ted. I've known him for years. He's a friend of the family and absolutely adores me. God, I'm basically his momma." She giggles, amused with herself.  She sighs and apathetically swats at the air with her hand while adding, " Besides, it's not like we're not giving it back." 

I let out a chuckle and she smiles in satisfaction. 

"What is your name and how old are you child?" 

" My name is Nicole and I'm 24."

She gasps overdramatically and grabs her chest as if she can't breath, "Oh my lord and savior,  Dolly Parton! Nicole, you really are just a little ole spring chicken!"

I'm howling and reactively she does the same. Once I've contained myself, she softly grabs my face with both of her hands and looks at me with loving eyes.

"Let me tell you something, baby. If a man wants to, he would. If you were a priority to him, he would stop the Earth from spinning for you. He would make an effort to show you every single day how important you were to him because a man that loves a woman will do anything and everything to make sure she stays happily by his side. A man is not going to make you cry, sweetheart."

I can feel the blood rushing to my cheeks once more as my face begins to pucker under the strain of my burning eyes.

"No, ma'am," she scolds.

"Men don't make women cry. Boys do that and guess what, baby? We're grown, we don't cry over boys."

I nod my head sheepishly. 

She poses authoritatively with both hands on her hips, "We don't cry over boys— I want to hear you say it!"

"We don't cry over boys," my voice sounds gurgled as I fight the burn of the tears I'm holding back in my throat.

"No, no, no. I know you can do much better than that! Say it with vigor! Say it with poise! Say it with self respect! What do we not do?!"

"We don't cry over boys!"

"Good girl! Now repeat after me; I am beautiful. I am kind. I am intelligent. I am fierce. I am capable of taking over the world."

Her lips mirror mine as I regurgitate back to her what she just said.

She cheers, "Yes, queen!"

She leans in close to me and says softly, " You are a beautiful girl and you are full of worth. If a boy is too blind to see how much of an asset you would be to his life, that is a defect in himself, not you. Some people will always prefer silver over gold. Do you understand?"

I nodd, "Yes, ma'am.  I do."

She smiles a half grin and then the next thing I know, I'm placed onto the bar stool and she's rummaging through my purse. 

" We're going to get you all dolled up. You're going to be looking as beautiful and as fabulous as ever. Then, you're going to go back out there and you're going to have a good ole time. Sound like plan?"

I nodd timidly.

She takes a few items from my purse while I sit still and watch her in silent curiosity. Once she was satisfied with her findings, she averts her attention to the contents inside her own purse.

"Now,  the first thing we're going to be doing is adding some dry shampoo to that hair," she explains as she picks up a pink aerosol and starts shaking it vigorously. She sprays a generous amount to my roots and begins teasing my hair with her fingers. 

"The higher the hair, the closer to Jesus, honey" she gives me a quick wink and then clips half of my hair back with a studded hair pin.

She hands me a wipe and waits patiently as I thoroughly wash off my tear stained face. Then, she carefully re-applies a fresh layer of makeup; finishing off with a bold red lip color she had found at the bottom of my bag. 

"All done!" She stands up straight and admires her hard work for a moment before removing the hair clip and suggesting I should take a look and see what I think. 

I hopped off of the bar stool and examined myself in the mirror before announcing,  " Oh my goodness, I forgot how much I loved this lip shade!  I used to wear it all of the time, but not anymore. Robbie doesn't like it. He says it looks too suggestive, but I don't see it."

I swirl around and land on one foot, grinning ear to ear.  She laughs while walking towards to me, placing both hands caringly on my shoulders.  

" Do me a favor, baby girl. Don't ever water yourself down for anyone; not even yourself."

I nodd, " I know. Things are going to be different starting first thing tomorrow morning. I promise." 

She wraps her arms around me and pulls me in close. I willingly succumb to the warm embrace, indulging in the sweet smell of roses as I'm being held. 

After what seemed like several minutes, we broke apart from each other and she bellows,  " You look fabulous, darling! Just fabulous! You're way too fetching for this bathroom, so I tell you what—let's go out there and bring in the new year.  What do you think?"

"I would absolutely love that!"

Once the door swings open, the sound of music and chatter snuffs the muffled silence of the room.The bar is flooded with people and we find ourselves having to fight our way through the crowd. We make it to the countertop and replace the bar stool, as promised. Ted smiles at both of us while sliding two cocktails in our direction. We thank him then make our way towards the speakers placed on the opposite end of the room. While we were away, customers had stacked the dining tables and chairs against the wall, making a makeshift dance floor for the evening. 

Rosetta and I befriend several other guests as the night goes on. We were  partying the night away; dancing, drinking, exchanging phone numbers and partaking in lighthearted conversation. I found myself smiling and laughing so hard my face started to hurt and for the first time in my life, I felt like my presence was valued.

The music stops abruptly and I pull my phone out to check the time. The screen illuminated 11:58, along with several missed calls and text messages. Of course, it was Robbie. Apparently, his plans fell through and he was trying to make up for ditching me. He was asking me where I was and why I'm not responding while sprinkling in mediocre apologies and distasteful compliments in an attempt to regain my attention. I giggle to myself and reply with just two words, 'We're done.' Then,  I swiftly block the contact and drop my phone back into my purse. 

When I look up, I find Rosetta smiling at me, proud of what I had just done. She gives me a wink and interlocks her arm with mine. I give her a cheeky smile back as everyone eagerly begins the ritualistic countdown that is welcoming in the new year. I take a deep breathe and happily join in, " 3! 2! 1! Happy new year!"

December 31, 2021 12:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cody Waltman
21:56 Jan 05, 2022

This is a nice uplifting story. I like your vocabulary and how clear it read.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.