2 comments

Adventure Crime Thriller

The rust-colored Mustang sped down the road. Although it didn't look like much from the outside, its small block V8 purred along smoothly. The stereo blared loudly, providing melodies that went along with the rhythm of the engine. 

 "Hand in hand in a violent life. Making love on the edge of a knife. And the world comes tumbling down…" 

With the top down, the Mustang sped along. The driver and his passenger's black hoodies and cargo pants stood out against the duct tape and off-white cracked vinyl interior. Behind the wheel, Craig looked too comfortable driving so fast. His steely composure contrasted wildly with his passenger. Janet looked like a kid on a roller coaster. The seatbelt barely held her in as she flowed with the car's movement, doing her seated dance to the loud music. 

"But that's the way that you are. And that's the things that you say. But now you've gone too far…"

Three patrol cars raced several car lengths behind, determined to catch the fleeing Mustang. The uniformed officers, all keyed up and unstable, were energized by the chase. Their sirens and engines screamed. The unlikely caravan raced at speeds nearing the three digits. The speakers of their prey could still be heard over the roar of the engines.

"Sun grows cold. Sky gets black. And you broke me up. And now you won't come back…"

With her arms stretched out of the convertible, Janet leans back and laughs loudly. Her long dark hair flaps wildly behind her. Her adrenalin levels are as high as the needle on the tachometer. Across from her in the front seat, Craig, in his dark sunglasses, looks as cool as cool. He guides the muscle car smoothly, leading the chase. Both bobbing their heads to the music.

"Under the April sky. Under the April sun. Under the April sky. Under the April sky."

Janet looked back over the seat and gave the chasing police the one-fingered salute. She then flashed them the peace sign, squealing with laughter. Spinning back around, she braced herself as Craig took the shape turn onto a side road without slowing down. The screech from the Mustang’s tires preceded the squeals of the patrol cruisers, still racing behind the fleeing muscle car. Not catching up but not losing ground. Janet scrolled through her phone and switched songs.

"In my eyes. Indisposed. In disguises, no one knows. Hides the face. Lies the snake. And the sun in my disgrace. Boiling heat. Summer stench. Neath the black, the sky looks dead…"

Janet screams at the top of her lungs, then joins her voice in the song's chorus.

"Black hole sun. Won't you come. And wash away the rain? Black hole sun. Won't you come. Won't you come…."

As amped up as Janet is, Craig is just as calm but deliberate, steering the 3,000-pound machine smoothly over the dark roads. This was their largest and most bold bank heist yet. Robbing a bank during the total eclipse was pure Guinness. As everyone was looking up, the pair took advantage of the distraction. This haul should keep them comfortable for a long time if they can stay in front of the law. 

Craig made another turn, headlights showing only an empty road. The speedometer needle was pushed as far to the right as possible. As Craig led this chase, Janet acted as DJ while scrolling her phone. "Whatchu wanna hear?" Janet asked. Craig responded with a curt, one-word answer, "Floyd!" A couple seconds later, the smooth tunes came from the speakers.

"Breathe, breathe in the air. Don't be afraid to care…"

The Mustang's tires glided over the dark backwoods' road.

"Leave, but don't leave. Look around and choose your own ground…"

The road bucked and twisted like an angry bull.

"Long you live and high you fly…"

The Mustang's tires briefly left the asphalt as the road dropped suddenly.

"Run, rabbit, run. Dig that hole, forget the sun…"

The flashing red and blue lit the dark woods behind the duo as their pursuers stayed several car lengths back.

"And balanced on the biggest wave. You race towards an early grave."

Craig downshifted as he eased the Mustang into a sharp corner. The pair of outlaws let out a triumphant yell as they watched through the mirrors as one of the patrol cars hit a patch of gravel, skidded off the road, and rolled over twice before settling upside down. The Mustang, followed by the other two black and whites, raced on. 

"So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death…"

The dark of the eclipse still loomed. Craig settled back into the driver's seat a little more. With sunglasses still on, one hand on the wheel and one on the stick shift, he eased the transmission back into fifth and pressed the gas pedal to the floor, taking the chase back over 100 mph. 

"I never said I was frightened of dying."

Loving the notoriety from their escapades, Janet searched the internet to see if their latest heist made the news yet. "Ha! The news is calling us the "Bonnie and Clyde" of the 2020s. No way!" mocked Janet, "They should call Bonnie and Clyde the Janet and Craig of the 1930s!" Craig said nothing as he eased the Mustang onto the freeway onramp. Knowing that the roads would be crammed once the eclipse ended, Craig sped along, doing his best to give the last two patrol cars the shake. 

Money, get away. Get a job with good pay, and you're okay. Money, it's a gas. Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash…"

Down to three cars, the high-speed parade flew down the highway, now speeding along at 110 mph. Craig stayed at the center of the three lanes—there was no need to dodge the nonexistent traffic. Their lead had stretched out a bit, but the last two patrol cars were not letting up. The three engines screamed while the stereo blasted. 

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."

As the race continued down the highway at high speeds, Janet checked the time: "The afternoon midnight is almost done." Handing Craig a pair of welding goggles, she switched the soundtrack again. 

"Maybe life is like a ride on the freeway. Dodging bullets while you're trying to find the way…"

Without warning, Craig jerked the Mustang towards the off-ramp and onto a road heading directly into the celestial event. In the waning seconds of the eclipse, Craig tossed his sunglasses to the back seat, and both bandits donned their welding goggles. As sudden as an explosion, bright sunlight filled the air and the eyes of the pursuers.

"But I won't be burned up by the reflections. Or the fire in your eyes. As you're staring at the sun. Whoa, as you're staring at the sun. Whoa, as you're staring at the sun. Whoa, as you're staring at the sun. As you're staring at the sun…"

The burning sun blinded the drivers' unprotected eyes. One of the patrol cars completely missed the off-ramp and found a deep mud hole, ending its involvement in the chase. The other officer continued the chase, relying on his aviators and his skills behind the wheel. 

"When I ran I didn't feel like a runaway. Hey. When I escape I didn't feel like I got away…"

Down to only one chase car, Craig continues their run from the law. Overflowing with adrenaline, Janet is bouncing in her seat as the Mustang bounces down the road. She screams out the lyrics.

"If I seem bleak. Well, you'd be correct. And if I don't speak. It's 'cause I can't disconnect. But I won't be burned up by the reflection. Of the fire in your eyes. As you're staring at the sun…" 

Looking in the rearview, Craig could see the chase reflected in the mirrored lenses of the last 

remaining cop's glasses. Knowing that their time to escape was growing short, Craig flipped open the cap on top of the gear shift. He glances at Janet and says, "Hold on tight, babe, it's time to fly." Janet started frantically scrolling through her phone, "Whoa, hold on one sec." Then she pushes play.

"Run and tell the angels. This could take all night. Think I need a devil to help me get things right. Hook me up a new revolution. "Cause this is a lie. We sat around laughin' and watched the last one die..."

Craig pressed the now exposed button. The engine’s fan kicked into high gear, letting out a high, piercing squeal that drowned out the radio. Janet cranked up the volume. 

"Lookin' for somethin' to help me burn out bright. And I'm lookin' for a complication. Lookin' 'cause I'm tired of lyin'. Making my way back home when I learn to fly high..."

The acceleration shoved the Mustang's occupants back in their seats. They were not going down like the famed bandits of the 1930s, at least not this time. As the sun continued to burn bright, Janet and Craig burned brighter, leaving their last pursuer wondering where his prey had gone. 

April 12, 2024 17:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Russ Fitzgeorge
19:22 Apr 19, 2024

Very cool, great action. Enjoyed the music references, very apt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Paul Simpkin
21:32 Apr 17, 2024

Great concept. I enjoyed reading your story. I liked the way you built up the different elements into a gripping drama.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.