0 comments

General

One night I woke up to someone downstairs. I wasn’t to worried considering my best friend Lily lives with me but I decided to check it out just to be sure. I slip down stairs quietly and see my best friend heading out the door.

“Mya?” She says as she turns around looking at me.

“What are you doing up?” Says Lily.

“I could ask you the same thing.” I say while leaning against the post of the stairs. 

“Just…..going out…” Lily says while stuttering.

“ At two in the morning?” I question.

“I am going to uhhh…meet a friend!” She says starting to open the doorknob. 

I shrug it off and head to the kitchen to get a drink. This is the third time in a week i’ve caught her going out in the middle of the night. Maybe she just has a boyfriend? I think to myself while taking a quick sip of my water and heading back to my soft queen mattress. 

As I get into bed I begin to think of the first time me and Lily met.

(flash back)

“Mom!”

“Yes honey”

“Can we go to the park?”

“Sure! Get your shoes on.”

*******

(At the Park)

“Can I go on the slide mom?”

“Sure!”

As I climb on the slide I notice a girl crying at the top.

“Hey are you okay?” I ask as I sit next to her. She looks about eight just like me, I think to myself.

“No!” She says and starts crying even more. 

“What happened?” I question as I look at her bloody cuts all over her. 

“My parents we got into a crash and they didn’t wake up.” She says wiping away her tears.

I hug her and bring her to my mom. We find out her parents did get into a crash and Lily was lucky enough to get out of the car that supposedly exploded. We take her down to the police station and they were going to put her in foster care but my mom took her in and ever since then we have been best friends.

(Flash back over)

As I drift into sleep the last thing on my mind was “Where was Lily really going?” 

********

(Morning)

I wake up and knock on Lily’s door and she was sound asleep in her bed with her clothes still on from last night. I leave her there to sleep since she was gone last night for a long time. I make some coffee and grab my keys and head to work. 

I pull into Target where I work for a side job since I’m still in collage.

“Hey Mya!” Jenny says (My close friend I work with)

“Hey Jenny!” I say while I walk up to her and put on my target name tag. 

“Did you hear what happen last night?” She asks with a devastating look. 

“What…..What happened?” I ask.

“A family near here was brutally murdered last night!” she says while she pulls something on her phone. She shows me the news report and I get worried. That killer is still out there, I think to myself…..

“Lily was out super late last night I’m so glad she’s okay.” I say as I take a deep breathe in. 

“What time did she get back?” Jenny questions. 

“I don’t know I woke up to her leaving at two last night! She was acting so weird to be honest.” I say while I fidget with my hands.

“Wow…thats not good!” Jenny says while she Occupies herself with a customer. 

After talking with jenny I go and do my job. I work for at least 3 hours and then I get my lunch break. I decide to call Lily and see if she wants to meet for lunch.

“Hey wanna meet for lunch?” I say into my iPhone 10 with Lily on the other end.

“Sorry I’m busy with work at home.” She says with a nervous tone. 

“It’s fine i’m not that hungry anyway.” I say into the phone a little disappointed. I get a drink and head back to stocking food up in the food aisles.

Work was pretty slow and my shift ended pretty soon after my lunch break ended. I get my belongings and head to my GT Mustang in the front parking lot that I got for my 16th birthday. I start the engine and pull out of the parking lot and head home.

When I pull into my driveway I notice Lily’s car is gone?? I get my stuff and head in the house.

“Hello? Lily? Are you here?” I call out but no answer. I decide to call Lily and when I ask her she lies?

“Hey Lil.” i say into the phone.

“Hey Mya!” She says back.

“Are you still working at home?” I asks suspiciously.

“Yeah I am i’m just cleaning some stuff up in my room.” She says slightly nervous. 

I hang up and run up the stairs and burst into her door and it’s empty. 

“What is going on?” I ask myself under my breathe. 

I look at all the clothes on the floor and notice a red stain on one of Lily’s shirts. 

“What is this?” I nearly shout. I take a closer look at the shirt and notice its….its..blood!!!

I decide its best I wait for Lily to get home and question her. I just couldn’t stop thinking about it…so many thoughts rang through my head…

             “Has she been hurt?”

                                “Did she hurt someone?’

“IS SHE THE ONE WHO KILLED THAT FAMILY?”

The last thought send shivers down my spine when I heard the door slam open….

“What are you doing in my room.” She says looking at me furious.

“What are you doing with bloodstains on your clothes?” I ask ignoring her question. She looks nervous while she stays silent for a moment.

“I cut myself on a branch!” She says looking at her feet.

“TELL ME THE TRUTH LILY!” I shout and stand up.

“I CAN’T YOU WOULDN”T UNDERSTAND MYA!”

“TRY ME!” I say while staring into her dark blown eyes that almost look black.

“GET OUT!!” She shouts while pointing to the door. I walk to her and whisper shout saying….

“I THOUGHT WE WERE BEST FRIENDS!” I say and slam the door behind me. 

I run to my door and close it behind me and slide down the door while I cry. I cry for what seems like hours until I hear the front door close.

 “There she goes again!” I mumble. Right there I get a call from my mom I quickly answer it and say hi.

“Hey honey!” My mom says with excitement. 

“I was wanting to know if you wanted to come down maybe for a weekend or something me and your father miss having you over.”

“Sure! That sounds great I need a break.” I say into the phone.

After talking I hang up and pack my bags. It takes me nearly 20 minutes and then I leave with a note saying i’m going to be gone for the weekend. I leave the note on Lily’s door and head to my car. 

The drive was very long but I finally made it to to my parents house. 

As I walk in I see the cream colored walls and there dog muffin comes and greats me with her fluffy tail wagging back and forth. 

“Honey!” My mom shouts in excitement. 

“Mom!” I say back and hug her tightly. 

We have a nice long dinner with my dad and we then watched a movie after dinner and I then headed to bed. As I lay awake on the bed I can’t seem to get Lily out of my head. Why did she get so mad at me today? Why did she have a bloodstain on her clothes? Why was she being so distant lately? I shook my thoughts and began to sleep.

When I woke up I smelled bacon, eggs, and pancakes. I nearly fall down the stairs running to breakfast. I was so hungry my stomach was begging for food. 

When I finish eating I feel like I needed to go back to see Lily to apologies because she has her reasons and I could’ve been wrong. I tell my loving parents goodbye head to my car and leave.

*******

I sit outside of my house in the car trying to figure out what to say to Lily when I hear a loud scream coming from my house. I run out the car and open my door only to see a bloody body with LILY hovering over it!

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” I yell.

“I can explain Mya just listen!” She says while heading toward me with her blood smeared clothes.

“NO!!” I yell stepping back.

She takes in a deep breathe and then begins to open her mouth to say the words least expected.

“Can you keep a secret……..?”

August 17, 2020 21:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.