0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Science Fiction

Romy rolled her wheelchair over to her bedroom window; she sat watching the birdbath. The redbird was having a wonderful time playing in the water. She didn’t know how much water it took to clean a bird, but one thing for sure, the redbird was getting a good bath.

She wondered if today would be like yesterday, or the day before, or the day before that day. To the nine-year-old girl, each day seemed to be repeating itself, uninteresting and boring.  

School was closed for the summer, and she enjoyed that, but she longed for an adventure, exploration, or some quest. Anything new. However, she felt that wasn’t going to happen.  

Romy watched as the redbird finished his bath; he sunned himself and then disappeared into a tree. She closed her eyes, pretending she could fly. “Wouldn’t that be great,” she whispered. “Oh, my goodness, if I could fly, where would I go?”

She laughed and shouted, “Everywhere.”

“After breakfast, I need to go to Amy’s. Would you want me to drop you off at the library for a while,” asked her mother?

“Yes,” said Amy, “Oh, mother, that would be great.”

To the young girl, at least the morning was starting differently. What Romy had yet to learn was today would be the start of a spectacular summer.  

Two hours later, Romy sat in the library; she had been here often and could navigate the aisles blindfolded if the need ever arose. However, there was something different today; it was the librarian, she had never seen her before.

“Good morning,” said Romy, “Are you new?”

“Well,” said the woman, “I’m actually quite old; they broke the mold when they made me. Whoever they were, I can’t remember.” She laughed, holding up her hands making air quotes around the word, they. She looked over her spectacles, “I’m just filling in for Jen this week; she’s off on an adventure.” The librarian smiled at Romy, “My name is Charlotte.”

“I like that name,” said Romy.

“It means free,” said Charlotte. “And I’m always looking for an adventure.”

Romy dropped her head, “I would love to have an adventure. Go on a voyage or journey to some exotic land.”

“Sounds just like me,” said Charlotte. “Maybe one day we can go together. We can sneak aboard a ship, draw our swords, and fight pirates. I’ve always wanted to fight pirates and steal their treasure.” She laughed like a pirate. “Arrr,” she said.

Romy laughed, “Arrr,” she repeated. She sat quietly for a moment; she stared down at her wheelchair, “I guess it would be hard to fight pirates with this chair.”

Charlotte nodded, “Maybe not.” The librarian smiled at Romy; I’ve got a book that might just help you, that is if you really want to take an adventure.”

“Oh, I do,” said Romy. “I would love an adventure.”

Charlotte disappeared into the back room and came back carrying a book. “It’s a little worn, tattered, and scratched, but it’s still in good shape.” She smiled at Romy, “It’s my favorite book.” She laid the book on the counter.

“I can let you check this out if you want,” said Charlotte. “Books can take readers on many adventures; however, this one is slightly different; it’s laced with magic.”

Romy stared at the book; she read the title, The Book of Mysterious Places and Adventures.

“May I,” she asked?

“Of course,” said Charlotte.

Romy picked up the book and thumbed through the pages. “It doesn’t have any words.”

“No, it doesn’t. Only one page has words, and that page tells you how to use the book.” Charlotte smiled, “As I said, it’s magical.”

“I don’t understand,” said Romy.

“You see, Romy, the pages are blank. You will be the author of this book.”

“I still don’t understand,” Romy said.

“All you have to do is write an adventure on a page, and the book will do the rest. It’s quite simple.” Charlotte smiled, “However, I must warn you to be careful. Some adventures can be treacherous and dangerous.”

“Will it take me places,” asked Romy?

“Yes, all you have to do is write where you want to go on the pages,” said Charlotte, “And when you want to come home, just write the word home.”

Romy stared at the librarian, “I don’t believe you, and this is a horrible trick you’re playing on me. I don’t appreciate it. This book can’t take me anywhere.”

“Oh my dear girl,” said Charlotte, “Books can take you everywhere; all you have to do is let them. As I said, this one is slightly different. You said you wanted an adventure; I’m giving you the chance to have the adventure of a lifetime.” She laughed, “Maybe even fight pirates.”

Romy rolled her wheelchair back and forth. She did that when she became nervous.

“I’ll tell you what,” said Charlotte, “You check the book out and take it home. Give it a try and if you don’t like it, just bring it back tomorrow.”

Romy glanced at Charlotte, “It would be unkind if you’re playing a trick on me. Some people at my school play tricks on me.”  

Charlotte nodded, “I know.”

“Alright, I’ll take the book,” said Romy.

The young girl sat in her room staring at the cover of the book. She thought about the title, The Book of Mysterious Places and Adventures. Wouldn’t it be great if the book did take her on an adventure? “Wow,” she said.

After dinner, Romy went to her room. She opened the book and wrote Amazon Rainforest. Things were dark for a moment, and when she opened her eyes, she was standing in a dense jungle. “Oh my goodness,” she said, “I’m here.”

“And do you know where here is,” said a voice?

Romy turned; she hadn’t noticed her wheelchair hadn’t made the trip. She didn’t need it; her legs were fine. She jumped into the air and spun about, throwing her hands out, spinning and spinning. She laughed as she danced around. She had never felt so free.  

“Well, what’s that all about,” said the voice?

Romy turned, looking for the voice. Lying on a tree limb was a huge jaguar.

She froze, “Please, someone help me,” she screamed.

“There’s no one here but you and I,” said the jaguar.

“You can talk,” asked Romy?

“Sure,” said the jaguar. “What are you doing here in my jungle? Don’t you know, it’s rather dangerous?”

“I was looking for an adventure, and I’ve always wanted to see this jungle. I’ve read it’s the most beautiful jungle in the world,” she said.

“I don’t know about that,” said the jaguar. “This is the only jungle I’ve seen, but I will agree; it’s beautiful.” He paused, “And dangerous.” He yawned and added, “Very dangerous.”

“Are you going to eat me,” Romy asked?

“Not right now,” said the jaguar. “Maybe later. I’ve just eaten, and I was getting ready to take a nap, but I see you’ve interrupted that.”

“I’m sorry,” said Romy, “I’ll just leave.”

“Little girl, if you go into that jungle, something will eat, swallow, or bite you, this I know,” said the jaguar. “I’ll go with you; you’ll need someone to keep you safe.”

“Do you have a name,” asked Romy? “My name is Romy.”

“Yes, I know; my name is Cole.” He jumped down from the limb. “I’ll be your guide today. I do wish someone would destroy that book. It’s becoming a nuisance.”

“You know about this book,” asked Romy?

“Unfortunately,” said Cole. “The book alerted me you were coming. Climb on my back, and we’ll go down to the river. There’s more to see down there, and eyes are watching you here. I’m sure they think you’d make a delicious snack, so we’d better get going.”

Minutes later, Romy stood on a sandy shoreline. She saw many things; there were sloths, river dolphins, and more macaws than she could ever imagine. She watched as a monkey drank from the river.

“Don’t get too close to the water,” said Cole. “The river is full of black caimans. They’re mean, and a little girl like you would make a tasty snack.”

Cole took Romy to several waterfalls and watched as the young girl eyed everything. “It’s beautiful,” said Romy. “The animals, trees, flowers, and waterfalls are magnificent.”

“I thought you might like those,” said Cole. He glanced up toward the sun. “I see the sun is setting; you’d better be heading home. It’s more dangerous at night in the jungle. It was nice meeting you, so toodle-oo, off you go.” 

Romy thanked Cole, “Can I hug you,” she asked?

“If you must,” said Cole. He purred.

Romy wrote ‘home’ in her book. She opened her eyes, and she was sitting in her bed.

Cole yawned, “I hate these babysitting jobs. Ah, now for that nap.”

Romy kept the book for several more weeks; each day, she wrote a different adventure in her book. The old magical book took her to foreign lands, magnificent waterfalls, and majestic mountains. She met the most incredible people. In every corner of the world, an animal was waiting to help her on her escapades. “Talking animals,” she said laughing, “Who would have guessed.”

Weeks later, Romy returned the book as promised. Jen, the librarian, was behind her desk.

“I want to return this book,” said Romy. “It’s the greatest. Charlotte loaned it to me.”

“Charlotte,” said Jen. “Romy, there isn’t anyone working here by that name.”

“She was working for you when you went on your adventure,” said Romy.

Tears rolled down Jen’s cheeks, “Sweetheart, I haven’t been on an adventure in years. I’ve wanted to go to so many places, but I have other responsibilities and just can’t find time for myself. I guess my adventures will have to wait.”

Romy smiled, “Why don’t you take this book home, borrow it for a few weeks? It’s magical.” 

April 29, 2021 01:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.