Let's Be Maeve

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

3 comments

Drama Creative Nonfiction Kids

'Spring and Fall' the most depressing poem ever to be known is all 16-year-old Maeve could think of. Everyone thought her life was glorious and worth living. But nobody knows the truth about oneself any more precisely than the person. Maeve had two sides to her story- one was the one her peers had written of her, or rather drawn the image of her that she was intended to follow. Another was the truth- something she believed about herself and the mere fact of her being.


The story of little Maeve starts on September 4th 2004. The day Maeve Sanderson was born. It was a day of remark and festive for the Sandersons. This day is when the trouble and misery took off. Soon, she learned to walk, talk and express herself as any normal kid. Now, let us go to 2020- the present day. It was her birthday- sweet sixteen!!!


Well, it wasn't a birthday for her. Reason being, birthdays are meant to be special, enriching but hers was quite different. The lovely, auspicious day started with her mom yelling at her. Her alarm bleeped and she woke up to the sunlight piercing through her eyes- as we all may think. No, no light intruded her eyes as it was quarter to five in the morning. She was a star swimmer- after practising from the past ten years. She was the swimmer representing her school in the tournament that was held every year. So, her mom was yelling at her because it was time to wake up and go for the practice of swimming. Maeve loved swimming, until this morning when she realized that swimming was something she wanted to participate in as an extra-curricular, pass time activity. Not something professional. While the warm water poured on her dark-brown hair, she apprehended that her mom wanted her to swim not because Maeve loved it, but as to be an asset to her school and to be successful in life.


Well, we readers might think that is positive and a very compelling attitude of her mom's, which in a way it is. But, one's career life should be decided by themselves and not pushed by anyone or anything surrounding in their environment. There she was, ready to dive after her thirty-minute warm-up.


"Arghh, no Maeve! What the hell do you think you are doing?! It took you 19.3 seconds to cover this patch. We have to get it to 16. I don't know how this is going to happen. From tomorrow, absolutely no screen time except for your schoolwork, early sleeping and strict diet." said her frustrated mom. Her coach just nodded his head in agreement. 


Maeve wanted to say a lot. She was already restricted from so many activities and fun- she was used to it so she didn't say much and pretty much followed the instructions. The next thing she knew- it was late and she had to get to her classes. First has AP History- oh no that sucks he breathed. Her history teacher- Ms Clumpson was at the door. 


"Ms Sanderson, may I know why you are late?" asked Ms Clumpson. 


"I was at the practice for the school Sports Tournament 2020. Practising with the coach and my mom. Hope you understand." Maeve walked in the class with her attitude and the teacher nodded her head in consent. There was no doubt- it was obvious that the teacher had no problems because the school promoted her as the best girl, an asset just because she managed to get a golden-coloured trophy to her school every year. The principal had frequent meetings with Maeve, explaining how significant her role was to the school. She was encouraged to swim because of her success, school position and a bunch of unwanted trophies. 


Her life wasn't just that there was much more to it. Like- let's start with lockers. It was lunch already, the day passed by pretty fast and she headed to her locker to put all the books back and grab some lunch. She found three notes stuck on her locker. 


One said: "Aren't you the money-honey?"

Another said: "Doesn't matter if you swim or if you can get a perfect score on your SATs. Nobody gives a shit about you.

The last one said: Why did I hear that the school is marking a day on your name? Oh, what an attention-seeker are you, little girl.


As she read these, the voices echoed in her brain as if people were saying it. She ignored it because it was a normal day like thing for her. 


Leave the lockers- let's speak about the classes. She was a bright student. After her biology test grades being passed out, hers was a 98. Wonderful- isn't it? But her teacher was quite disturbed and taken aback. 


"Maeve what has happened to you? Are you alright? I mean, you always get a 100, why this then? I am highly disappointed." exclaimed Mr Jean.


Mr Jean moved on to the next student. "Brian, I am very proud and honoured to suggest that you have scored a 68 in the test. Considering your previous scores, this is an improvement. Bravo kiddo, keep it up."


Maeve thought- I understand that improvement is better than a dip as a concept but as a teacher, he cannot expect different things from the same lot of students. I mean, we are both sixteen, same class, same brains- same thinking a doing potential capacity. Then why expect different from both? 


Now here comes the pain part. What her peers thought of her was a rich, content swimmer whose life was perfect and fit. Whose GPA was bingo? And truly, her actual life was this but not only this. It included being a human, having friends...It also included getting a choice and power over herself.


Let's just back out from the story for a while. It sounds hysterical when I say she didn't have power over herself. One would think- it's her life so doesn't she automatically have control over it? Well, Maeve Sanderson didn't. Her career was set and ready. Her grades were guided by the teachers. Her image was created by her classmates. What was left on her plate if her life wasn't in her control? Every morning she woke up, every night she went to sleep- her breath hitched before even thinking of her life. She felt powerless...


Well, reader, here comes the main story- we all may think this is a fiction piece of writing by me, which happens to accommodate a teenager experiencing bad times. It is not. I am afraid to imply, but as a writer, it is my rightful duty to say that this story is not fiction. The names and specifics here are random- I couldn't afford to put the actual details because there are so many. This story ain't about one girl or one life. Across the globe, the world we call our children's is somewhere ruled over us. Many children face such problems- peer pressure, unfairness, differentiation of expectations, bullying, rude comments and that is what makes them feel powerless. Unworthy.


Little Maeve wasn't someone of that kind. That same day- she stood up to everyone and ranted her heart out. Let us all be Maeve and speak up when we are overruled. This story was purely written to establish the truth that lies within every state.


September 04, 2020 17:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Kristin Neubauer
19:34 Sep 04, 2020

A wonderful story, Maahi! I love the themes you address of independence, freedom and empowerment. You took these very weighty and complex issues and made them more accessible through your story about Maeve, almost like a modern-day myth. Well done!

Reply

Maahi Shah
02:30 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you so much :) I have tried to make this as a social message to everyone through a fictional story. For me the greatest joy this that readers like you appreciated it and understood the depth of it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maahi Shah
18:18 Sep 04, 2020

What do you guys think about the story?! Please comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.