The Lock Door

Submitted into Contest #130 in response to: Write a story titled ‘The Locked Door.’... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy

What's behind the lock door? No one knows. A mystery has been unfolding at 15 market place for the past five years and it's all because of the mysterious lock door.

Every family who has lived at 15 market place have encountered the mysterious lock door, but nobody has been able to open it.

No reason has been given as to why there is a lock door at this address and now a new family has moved in and this family is a special family with a special child.

Bella is the youngest of the Evans family, she loves to draw and write about any topic, from fantasy characters to science fiction characters.

Bella's mind is full of so many creative ideas, and when she gets these ideas her drawings and writings come to life.

When Bella and her family move into 15 market place and she encounters the lock door, many possibilities come to Bella's mind.

One of the possibilities that comes to Bella's mind is the lock door leads to a world filled with unusual characters.

While sitting in front of the lock door Bella begins to draw these whimsical characters.

One after another Bella draws fairies, elves, gnomes, trolls, monsters, aliens, pixies, princes and princesses, mermaids, unicorns and so many more characters.

Bella calls her world Land of the Enchanted. Her favorite character is a fairy name Afina.

Bella finishes drawing her characters, she gets up and leaves the lock door, when the lock door begins to stir. Bella is stunned. She doesn't move, but continues to stare.

After a few minutes the lock door stops stirring, Bella leaves and goes to her room.

Bella is confused, but not at all scared, she wants to know what is behind the lock door.

At midnight when her family is sleeping Bella gets out of bed and out of her room and goes to the lock door. She stretches her hand out, touches the knob and turns it.

The door doesn't open. Bella tries again and the door still doesn't open. After another unsuccessful try Bella goes back to bed.

The next day Bella goes back to sitting in front of the lock door. She continues to draw her characters and something unexpectedly happens

Bella's drawings start to come to life. A swirl of golden flecks begins to surround Bella and then the golden flecks go right through the door.

The lock door begins to stir again. Bella stretches her hand out and turns the knob, but the door still won't open. Bella sits back down in front of the lock door and continues to draw.

Later that night Bella Wakes up at midnight and goes to the lock door. She hopes that 3rd time is the charm.

Bella stands in front of the lock door, she takes three calming breathes, Stretches out her hand, touches the door knob and turns it.

The latches to the lock begin to turn, but then Bella stops when she hears someone getting up. Bella runs to her room, and gets into bed.

The next day as usual Bella goes and sits in front of the lock door and draws. Later that night at midnight Bella gets out of bed and goes to the lock door. She stretches her hand, touches the knob and turns it.

Bella feels the lock door unlocking. She keeps turning the knob, the door is finally unlocked.

The door quietly opens all the way. Bella looks in and it's dark. She steps all the way in and she is engulfed by the golden flecks.

The door closes with Bella inside, and is lifted up and out of 15 market place.

Bella doesn't scream, she is happy and at peace. The lock door suddenly stops, the golden flecks disappear, the door opens. Bella steps out and is amazed to see she's in the land of the enchanted

Bella looks around and sees the many characters she drew, from the fairies to the mermaids. Bella can't help but smile.

Bella begins to walk through the land of the enchanted, she comes upon a bridge, a red bridge. Bella crosses the bridge, and when she does she hears noises coming from under the bridge.

The trolls under the bridge hear footsteps crossing, they peek out and see it's a human. The trolls begin to make little noises.

Bella goes to the railing and looks over. She spots the trolls and the trolls spot her. One of the trolls comes out from the bridge.

The troll introduces himself as Zinjo. Bella introduces himself as well. She bends down and stares at Zinjo. The little troll has wild hair with big green eyes that are not menacing.

Bella and Zinjo begin to play, they run around the big field, the other trolls join in. A little later Bella waves goodbye to Zinjo and trolls. She gets back on the path when she hears a noise.

Bella looks up at the sky and sees a griffin, a dragon and a phoenix. She stops and admires the beautiful creatures.

The griffin spots Bella, he flies towards her and lands in front of Bella. She walks up to the griffin and pets him. A beautiful creature with wings that touches the sky, a gentle giant.

Bella watches the griffin with a big smile, after a while the griffin takes to the sky and rejoins the dragon and the phoenix.

Bella continues on the path up ahead she sees waterfalls. Bella walks to the waterfalls and sees the most beautiful thing.

A castle as beautiful as anything Bella ever dreamed of stands in the middle of the waterfalls. Bella can't believe her eyes.

She walks down to the water and a mermaid pops out of the water, she smiles at Bella and waves her over.

Bella gets on top of the mermaid, the mermaid takes Bella to the castle.

The mermaid tops at the entrance to the castle, Bella gets off of the mermaid and stares at the castle. Bella looks up and sees a fairy coming.

Bella looks in awe at the fairy and realizes this is the same fairy she drew, Afina.

Afina stretches out her hand for Bella to grab. Bella grabs her hand and in an instant Bella is transformed into a fairy. Afina and Bella fly together to the castle.

Afina shows Bella the magic of her drawings and what is possible. Afina says to Bella "Anything is possible when it comes to magic."

Bella smiles and now sadly it's time for Bella to go. Afina brings back the lock door and transform Bella back to a human. Bella waves goodbye to Afina and to the land of the enchanted.

Bella enters the lock door, it closes and rises taking Bella back to her home 15 market place.

Bella opens the door and steps into her home. The lock door closes and remains lock until the next adventure.

Bella goes back to her room and looks at her drawings of the land of the enchanted. Bella sees Afina waving to her, she smiles.

Bella continues to draw and continues to go to adventures inside the lock door.

January 26, 2022 23:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.