60 comments

Romance Sad Drama

“I need to dance to this with you,” you demanded, your chartreuse eyes an inextinguishable flame that bored into my soul and burnt through my defences.


Need! That’s not a need. A need is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as something requisite or necessary. Dancing to “I’ll Be Around” by The Detroit Spinners is certainly not something that one requires to live…Zoe, I can’t dance.


My brain spun and sputtered out all its reasons as if they were drops falling down a plastic tube. However, even it knew that it was helpless in the face of your steel will, as if it were a body trying to fight ageing and losing. 


“Uhm, okay, so how do we…. ouch!”


You yanked my arm and dragged me towards the pulsating lime green and orange lights and the throngs of bumping and swaying bodies buzzing with more energy than a thousand volts. Being in that swirl of shimmies and rolls, I felt my muscles freeze up, atrophied by waves of nerves. However, with just a single flash of the fiery jades on your face, I found myself awkwardly bopping along to the music.


It has always been like that, hasn't it, Zoe. This has always been the dynamic between us for the four years we’ve been together. Whether it’s cooking classes using ingredients I couldn’t even pronounce, attending a rock concert on a random Tuesday night, or going to a 70s-themed party on the other side of the city, whatever you wanted to do, I must follow, as if they were doctor’s orders. Every time I tried to resist, you knew how to make those green orbs appear glassy with tears and contort your face into an expression of heartbreak --- cunning, choreographed. You always said you just wanted me to break out of my shell when all I longed for was to build on that exoskeleton until it completely calcified. I always ended up swept up in your lead, though, a hapless partner in a tango.


…especially, now that…


“That isn’t so bad now, is it, Will darling,” you cooed, a wry, mischievous grin on your face as your precise footwork took you across the illuminated floor. “Just try something new.”


“I guess. But you shouldn’t just jump…”


“Oh, I love this part of the song,” you exclaimed, the beginning of yet another statement of concern sidestepped. You flailed your arms along to the alternating string and brass lines serving as a call-and-response pattern in the track, whilst I sighed.


“As usual, Zoe…’


“What?”


My hazel eyes honed in on your chartreuse peepers twirling around the dance hall along with your golden-topped head shuffling around. You bit your plump bottom lip to an invisible, constant rhythm, most probably that of one of those 70s funk tracks from the stacks of LP records in a large plastic crate in your flat. Your lips curled in a smile like a graceful ballerina taking a bow as you smoothed the hem of your mid-length dress with large, pink hibiscuses printed on.


“You keep leaping into things. I thought that the visi …”


Let it go, Will. Soon, she…


“Nothing, it doesn’t matter anymore,” I responded, taking a gulp of air. “I’m just…oh no!”


As soon as the piano intro started, my heart slid down to the very bottom of my belly. Of all the songs by The Detroit Spinners to fill the room, it just had to be “I Don’t Want to Lose You”, the poignant ballad sung by Henry Fambrough from their "Pick of the Litter" album. Every note felt like a strong, powerful kick to the heart, especially considering…


“Excuse me, sweetheart. I just need to…”


“Are you okay, darling?


Just like that, all of the words brewing in my head dissipated like the sound from a phonograph whose needle just broke. I scrupulously dug through the formations of words inside me like a surgeon carefully excising a too-large tumour but struggling at it. The only thing that remained in the grey matter was just a single request.


“Yeah…listen, uhm, could we just…sway to this song,” I asked, my heart beating in six-eighth time signature.


Just as I sensed my veins freeze, almost like I were on an intravenous drip of liquid nitrogen, you beamed at me and jeté-ed into my arms.


“You, William Alexander Smith, are asking me to dance? My, my, what’s come over you,” you demanded to know, your lips shaping itself into an arc yet again. “Usually, it’s me begging you to come to the dance floor.”


“I just…well…”


“Well, what?”


“I just want to feel you close to me,” I admitted, the words finally coming out as flowing as Swan Lake. “You know very well I just want to make sure I spend this time…”


“Don’t go there, Will,” you responded tersely, your smile exiting stage left. “I don’t want to…”


“But aren’t you scared? If I were you, I would certainly feel like I stumbled after jumping around all…”


“No, no, I’m not,” you pressed. “You’re going to replay the same conversation again, aren’t you?”


“Zoe, come on now. I mean you…”


“Stop, Will. Please stop,” you commanded me, your green eyes now a bonfire. From up close, I could smell the smoke, watch the headdress-donning figures undulating in the light.


“Okay, okay, as you wish,” I muttered, now resigned.


“Good, because I’ve now bought the tickets.”


With your declaration, I could perceive my liver secreting bile overtime to flood every single tissue in my mouth. My entire respiratory system seemed to completely drop to my stomach.


Oh, but of course, you, Zoe Evelyn Duncan would just go ahead and buy your passage on a flight without consulting the man who you constantly pull to cha-cha-cha in the kitchen with you; why did I expect anything less from you. You have, after all, had thoughts of packing your suitcases and exploring Paris, Rome, Berlin, and Geneva for a year pirouetting in your mind for as long as I’ve known you. Still, I had hoped that, well, the announcement would inject a bit of caution in your system, let it circulate in you like thrombocytes journeying throughout the body.


Why did I ever expect something so out-of-step with who you are?


“Zoe, darling, why? I told you…”


“And what good will it do, aye,” you retorted. “Remember, I’m the one who…”


“The least you could have done is told me,” I replied. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes like performers backstage waiting for their cue. “I just want you to include me in these decisions.”


“Well, what’s done is done, Honey. I already talked to Camille in Paris. She says I could stay with her. I’m absolutely buzzing. Walking around Montmartre, exploring ancient Roman ruins, clubbing in Berlin...”


“Zoe,” I whimpered. My head spun around, the dancefloor melting into a blur.


“What now?”


“You…planned…again…without me,” sputtered out my brain, as if a shunt were blocked up by my debris-like sadness.


“Well, how else is this going to end up, Will? After finding that out, what else do you think I’d want if not finally seeing the places on my bucket list?”


My laryngeal muscles slithered around my throat as they took a quick gulp of air before letting me continue.


“Well, Zoe, I thought…oops.”


In my unwieldy movements, the small robin’s egg blue velvet box in my pocket --- the same one I purchased the day after I accompanied you to that all-important rendez-vous, the same one I have carried with me for about a month --- tumbled out and onto the pulsating lime and orange lights.


“Wait, I’ll pick it up, darling.”


“Wait, I…”


I couldn’t stop you prancing into the crowd and searching for the lost container. As you dove amongst the jigging bodies, your blonde wig flew off and the skirt of your pink frock hiked up revealing the constellation of mauve bruises covering your slender leg. Instantly, the past month --- the nerves as I sat with you in the hospital waiting room, the doctor’s voice jittering as he spoke, the pristine white piece of paper containing two words I never wanted to be locked in promenade position: Stage 3 --- high kicked its way into my mind.


“William, darling, what’s this,” you asked, your chartreuse eyes glued onto the tiny receptacle.


“Open it, love.”


You lifted the lid to reveal a two-carat cushion-cut diamond halo ring resting inside. You shook your head vigorously before facing me.


“Will, darling, you know that…”


“I know, I know,” I replied, the phonograph in my head grinding to a halt again. “I just wanted to let you know that if ever you changed your mind, well…”


“Well, what?”


“Well, I want to take care of you. Always,” I admitted. “If you changed your mind, I’m more than happy to be the man who does that for you. I know the thought of Cytoxan in your veins sounds really daunting to go through, but there's still a chance you'll pull through. I'll be there."


“Will, look, I get that,” you responded, your eyes glistening with tears rivalling a mirror ball. “But I don’t want to suffer. What’s the point? I just want to have a bit of fun before I leave.”


“But, Zoe, love, I…”


“I…what?”


“I don’t want to lose you,” I blurted out, everything I wanted to say leaping across the invisible stage between us.


You sighed and let your eyes dance away for a couple of minutes before returning your gaze to me.


“I know that, Will. But I need this. Besides, don’t you always say that needs are more important than wants?”


Need! This is her need. It may not be something you desire, but it’s requisite and necessary to the woman you love. Enjoying what little time she has left is what she requires to say she’s lived….Zoe, I don’t know if I can dance to your rhythm, but for you, I’ll try.


“I suppose,” I replied. I tried my best to pose my face into an expression of assurance. “Just let me know when you need me to take you to Heathrow. You sure you don't want me to go with you?”


"Will, I told you. I don't want you to see me..."


"But... Zoe, love, I..."


"Will, please..."


I looked at your glassy green eyes yet again and saw the tears cavort their way across your face.


"Okay, as you wish. I'm following what you want, like it were choreography."


You beamed back at me, your smile even brighter than the lime and orange strobes illuminating the nightclub.


“Thank you, my love. Oh, and please don’t forget…”


“Don’t forget what?”


“Don’t forget that when we meet again, I will always choose you to dance with.”





June 12, 2024 11:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

60 comments

McKade Kerr
02:29 Jun 25, 2024

Wow! Great work! Your stories are always great, but this one was especially captivating and well written! You get so much information and character and emotion across in just one scene and one conversation. I loved it!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:42 Jun 25, 2024

Thank you so much, McKade ! Like I said in other comments, this idea of awkwardly disagreeing whilst dancing just came in my head when I saw the prompt. I'm pull the emotional pull worked. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dana Manoli
19:11 Jun 20, 2024

Well done! Captivating plot and layered characters! Chapeau!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:21 Jun 21, 2024

Thank you so much, Dana ! Et du coup, avec le petit "chapeau", on peut croire que tu parles français ?! Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:04 Jun 20, 2024

This is really pretty Alexis 😊 it seems we are dancing with them, pulling, twirling, stopping, and then finding out the terrible piece of reality…

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:12 Jun 20, 2024

Thank you so much for this comment, Laura ! I'm very, very much ecstatic that you felt like you were dancing along with the characters. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Noah Tillier
06:02 Jun 20, 2024

This was an absolutely beautiful piece. The imagery of the eyes, glimmering like liquor or emerald, was captivating. The motif of a dance fit perfectly for this prompt, and I loved how you expanded it to encompass how they'll spend the rest of their time -- Will trying to keep to Zoe's rhythm until her last moments. It was heartwarmingly sad. Beautiful.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:03 Jun 20, 2024

Hi, Noah ! Thank you for stopping by to read. I have a thing for beautiful eyes, I suppose. (I always tell my partner he has the loveliest eyes ever, for instance), so I suppose it just comes out in my stories ? Hahahaha ! As for the conversation whilst dancing, I kind of wanted to juxtapose dancing (something graceful) with bickering (something very messy), so I'm happy it worked. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
00:28 Jun 20, 2024

Nicely done, Alexis. Had to read this a second time to appreciate the writerly devices used in your progression towards the reveal. Some very deliberate, well thought out word choices. An emotional piece but in no way mawkish. Loved the part about the exoskeleton and by the end really felt for both characters.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:25 Jun 20, 2024

Hi, Carol ! Wow, I'm very chuffed my writing made you reread the work. I didn't want the twist to be too obvious but wanted to leave subtle clues through the use of a certain set of imagery. I quite liked writing that exoskeleton line ! And yes, I'm absolutely pleased you felt for both characters. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
00:06 Jun 18, 2024

What a touching story. Your characters are two very different people who want very different things right now, but they are both brave in the face of adversity. You used the prompt well here, threading dance through the story and their relationship. A sad but hopeful ending. Well done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:42 Jun 18, 2024

Hi, Karen ! Yes, indeed, Zoe and Will do want very different things, but Will, in the end, realises that since it's Zoe going through the ordeal, it's really her decision. Part of love is respect, so he does give way. I'm happy you liked the story. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marshall Gothage
20:40 Jun 17, 2024

"Tears threatened to spill from my eyes like performers backstage waiting for their cue." What a beautiful line. Great story, Alexis!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:38 Jun 18, 2024

Hi, Marshall ! I loved writing that line too ! Thanks for stopping by and reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim LaFleur
18:13 Jun 17, 2024

A beautifully crafted dance of emotions, masterfully intertwining the vibrant hues of life with the poignant steps of love and choice. The story's rhythm draws the reader in and moves the heart in a bittersweet ballet of connection and individuality. Brilliant work!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:37 Jun 18, 2024

Hi, Jim ! Always appreciate you reading and commenting on my work. Indeed, there has to be a dance between wanting to take care of the person you love and giving them choice. You put it in such a lovely way. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
04:17 Jun 17, 2024

Hey Alexis, What a wonderful rollercoaster ride of emotions throughout your story. I loved the descriptions and use of colours too. A sensitive and superbly observed piece, well done. HH :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:36 Jun 17, 2024

Thank you so much, Howard ! I realise I love playing with colour in my stories. My love for fashion is showing. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Violet Frost
22:33 Jun 16, 2024

Okay, first of all LOVE LOVE your music choice! Maybe I'm just partial to the 70's motown/funk, but "I'll Be Around" was a great song that helped set the physical scene as well as the overall theme of your story. This was so frustratingly beautiful...I found myself wanting to yell, "JUST MARRY HIM" like I would at a heartfelt romance drama. Thanks for this great read :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:10 Jun 17, 2024

Hi, Violet ! Firstly, great taste ! I'm a huge 70s and quiet storm music fan, so those kinds of songs often make their way in my stories. The Spinners are one of my favourite groups, so of course, they have to make their way into one of my stories. Hahaha ! Glad you liked it. I'm also chuffed I was able to evoke emotions in you for the characters. Thing is, though, marriage to William is a beautiful thing, but does Zoe want that ? So happy you liked the story ! Thanks for reading. I will certainly dive into a story of yours.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thomas Iannucci
19:08 Jun 16, 2024

Alexis 😭😭😭 this was lovely. Well done. Bittersweet but beautiful. I can totally understand both their perspectives, which is a hallmark of a truly skilled writer - very well done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:55 Jun 17, 2024

Hi, Thomas ! It's been a while. I'm very happy you liked this. And yes, I'm chuffed that you see both points of view and that the emotions were apparent in the piece. Like I mentioned in other comments, I sort of wanted to experiment and have the conversation be bickering. Hahahaha ! I'm happy it worked. Thanks for the read !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
07:41 Jun 16, 2024

A very visual piece. This was the dance of life and Zoe was dancing through it beautifully- she was living with vibrancy and not letting her fears for the future stop her. This is what he loves about her. It demonstrates how different we all are and how this is fine, each person having their own dance. Strong images of the body in all its terrifying frailty and changeability resound throughout adding another layer to the story. Also, where would we be without the beauty of music?

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:20 Jun 16, 2024

Thank you so much, Helen ! Precisely that. Each of us has our own dance, our own set of steps to sway to in life. William wanted to protect her, but that wasn't what Zoe needed. I'm happy that came through in the piece. And yes, the body is amazing...but sometimes betrays us. I...should know. And yes to the beauty of music. Once again, thank you for your support of my writing. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Giovanna Ramirez
05:26 Jun 16, 2024

Alexis, you never fail to impress me! Brava!! First of all, you took such a risky decision in swaying between 1st and 2nd point of views. In one of the writing classes I took, I was quite vocal about not being a fan of the 2nd point of view precisely because it felt invasive to me as a reader and too tangled as a writer. You, however, found a way to jump seamlessly from the perspectives in a short story! Not only is that difficult but brilliant! You executed the prompt perfectly (and surprisingly set in more modern times, which made it all ...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:14 Jun 16, 2024

Giovanna ! Thank you so much for the read and the very kind comments. I think to me the jump between first and second person POV wasn't really too much of a risk for me since I like using the epistolary format; that's what you essentially do in epistolary. I quite like the use of second person because it makes it feel more intimate. But yes, it's a style that isn't for everyone, and I do understand that. To each their own ! For some reason, despite the Bridgerton theme, I felt like doing a modern, tragic romance was a use of the prompt tha...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fern Everton
21:11 Jun 15, 2024

The second-person POV quickly drew me into this story—such an interesting narrative choice! I saw the red flags in those cut-off sentences, yet still felt the pain in my heart when the truth of the conflict was revealed. Dang it, Alexis, I never know what I’ll experience each week— heartbreak or wholesomeness, haha! “‘Yeah…listen, uhm, could we just…sway to this song,’ I asked, my heart beating in six-eighth time signature.” AAH!! I love the mention of the time signature!! Probably my second favorite to play in next to common time (once yo...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:04 Jun 16, 2024

Hi, Fern ! Like I mentioned in other comments, the writing Discord group I belong to sort of sold me a bit on the brilliance of second-person for certain narratives, so it sort of spilt over here. I'm happy that you were able to feel the pain and desperation Will carried. To know that a reader empathises with my characters is great news for me as a writer. Pain or pleasure, whatever will Alexis bring this week ?! Hahahaha ! Music has always been a huge part of my life (ergo, the gamut of stories inspired by retro tracks. Hahaha !), so wr...

Reply

Fern Everton
02:14 Jun 16, 2024

You sing? That’s amazing!! I’ll always have a special place in my heart for singers—the things I have heard have made me question my existence sometimes, haha! Seriously, they’re INCREDIBLE and I have no doubt you are as well!! My primary instrument is flute, though I have some percussion knowledge and know the basics of a piano (I have yet to learn how to actually play one, but I’m working on it). It’s so fun to find other music people especially those who are writers! Opens up a whole new world of descriptors to use when describing sounds,...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
06:53 Jun 16, 2024

I do. Hahahaha ! I've had a bit of training, but not enough to be a professional at it. I have a soft spot for retro music, so that's what I mostly sing. It's mostly my showerhead, the neighbours, my friends, and my wonderful partner who get to hear it. LOL ! Flute !!! I love that instrument. I'm a big fan of jazz flautists Bobbi Humphrey and Dave Valentin, so I think it's super cool you play it. Indeed, it's that. Music is everywhere, so why not use it in stories. I think if ever I decide to publish a short story collection, I will title i...

Reply

Fern Everton
03:35 Jun 17, 2024

Ooh, fun!! I’m sure your friends, family, and showerhead greatly enjoy the free performances, haha! Thank you!! Flute tends to feel somewhat overlooked when it comes to playing music, so I’m glad someone shares my love for it (even if it DOES slowly kill your lungs over time, haha)! I also completely agree with you—we have billions of songs right at our fingertips, so why not use them to our advantage? “The Literary Jukebox”—I love it!! It’s the perfect title for a collection like that! If you DO choose to publish it, I’d certainly read it!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:12 Jun 17, 2024

Hahahahaha ! Thank you, Fern ! The friends, showerhead, and splendid boyfriend do like it. My family, not so much. AHAHAHAHA ! The flute is magic to me. Then again, I'm a big fan of Deniece Williams and Minnie Riperton, women with high voices. My voice is sort of around that range too, so I may be biased. Hahahaha ! I'm so happy you like the title. I may...just do it. Hahahaha ! I do need to collect stories first. Hahahaha !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:14 Jun 14, 2024

What a beautiful, sad story! The exchange between the characters was easy to follow and conveyed their emotions so well. Well done!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:56 Jun 15, 2024

Hi, Natalie ! Thanks for the read. I'm so happy the dialogue was understandable and you were able to feel the emotions. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
19:50 Jun 14, 2024

Your use of color is incredible. Sad and lovely story. Bucket list or calm reflection and urge to live on no matter how painful? Hard to choose, but her spirit soars.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:53 Jun 15, 2024

Thank you, Beverly ! I suppose because I'm a fashion and make-up girl, I will always be very descriptive with colour. Hahahaha ! The lime and orange actually has a meaning; orange being the colour of the ribbon for leukemia and lime for lymphoma. Precisely that. Every patient of a terminal illness has a choice on what to do with such devastating news. There's no right way decision, and loved ones have to respect that. Glad you liked this, Beverly. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
13:52 Jun 14, 2024

Fine work.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
14:22 Jun 14, 2024

Thanks, Philip !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aidan Romo
08:51 Jun 14, 2024

Man, poor William.....why do you have to drag me through such painful emotions like this! Such an elegantly written piece, Alexis. The drama builds so much with each word as it goes along in the most somber, effective way.👏

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:29 Jun 14, 2024

Hahahaha ! Hi, Aidan ! Well, I don't know. When I saw the prompt, my brain went "Time to do sad and bickering." Hahahaha ! Seriously, though, I'm happy you found it well-written, and I was able to bring on the drama. Thanks for the read !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
09:06 Jun 13, 2024

Sad story. You did a great job. I feel sorry for William. She is going to cross things off her Bucket list, and he is left without her to suffer, knowing she will be gone forever. I would stay with the person I love till the last second. But That's me. Nicely done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:37 Jun 13, 2024

Thank you, Darvico ! Like I mentioned to Kaitlyn, there are cases where patients, upon hearing they only have a limited time left on Earth, get hyperfocused on accomplishing things before that time runs out...to the expense of everyone around them. Indeed, poor him. Yes, it is about Zoe, but at the same time, he's allowed to feel saddened by the situation. Glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Maynard
06:57 Jun 13, 2024

Although I have never been a fan of 2nd person, you did a great job of holding my attention throughout. You conveyed very complex emotions through the character's dialogue and actions masterfully. The dynamic between Will and Zoe is both heart-wrenching and inspiring - there is a definite balance between personal desire and the needs of a loved one. Acceptance, courage, and unwavering love is shown as a testament to the strength of the human spirit.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
08:33 Jun 13, 2024

Hi, Martin ! Thanks for stopping by to read. Like I mentioned in previous comments, Deidra and the rest of the Blue Marble members kind of inspired me to try second person. Anyway, I already sort of use it in my epistolary format stories (which, I have quite a lot). I think it renders a piece a lot more personal, so I've become a fan. To each their own, though. I'm very happy that the conflicts --- William and Zoe's external one and William reconciling what he wants vs. what Zoe needs --- came through. I must admit this was a bit of a ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.