0 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Science Fiction

It was late at night. Young runaway Andrew Mcallen was tired and hungry. Seeking shelter from the rain, he entered a small library in the center of town. All of the previous dilemmas have made him paranoid of adults. All his life, he has been put on a pedestal for his academic prowess and his elaborate vocabulary. However, he did not want to live that life forever. So he asked his parents if he can hang out with some friends instead of studying one night. His parents flipped. They showed a side of them that he has not seen before. That is when it all started. His parents started to become more strict and started to increase his studying 10 fold. It got to the point where he wasn't allowed to sleep a few times. Starting a rebellious phase, he started ditching class and sneaking out of the house. He felt like he was uncatchable. That is, until one day. He was out with his friends and this time, they dropped him off at his house. With the music on max, they rode up the driveway. This made his parents walk out and see him with his friends. They took him in and yelled at him. He just stood there quietly. He did not know what to tell them. He was at fault. Then he made the argument about his education. He told them that he was sick and tired of the pressure that he has been under since he was young. He finally snapped and ran away. And that's where we are, with him at a library. In a corner, he fell asleep. He woke up the day after. When he did, he walked around looking through books. He got a stack and placed them on the table. He had some books on all subjects. So he started reading them. This went on for a while. Maybe an hour or two. Then he came across a book with a weird title. "The fate of those before" it read. It looked seemingly new. The check-out card was empty. So Andrew wrote in his name on it. When he did, he started to see numbers all around the library. They were floating around and changing. The name on the check-out card became green. He blinked and the library was empty. He walked around, but there was no one there. So he walked out of the library. Outside was pitch black. There were silhouettes of people in the distance. He ran to them screaming for help. When he got closer, he started to realize that they were statues. Not only that, but they were statues of him as a child. They appeared to be important moments from his past that he forgot about. As he walked around, he relieved what each statue was representing. As he walked around, he started to realize that he was always really smart. He came across his later years, the years were his parents were the harshest with him. He watched those moments with great anger. He despised his parents. However, he did witness things that he had not seen before. He watched as his parents snapped for the first time, and their regret afterward. He saw that those sleepless nights did not only affect him but them as well. The more he watched, the less angry he was with his parents. When he reached the night before he ran away, he saw what his parents were doing. They were going to reward him as reconciliation for the way that they have treated him. He became sad when he saw all of this. Then, he reappeared in the library. it seemed to be the real world. He looked inside the book and his name was gone. He was feeling curious, so he put in the name of his dad, Armin Mcallen. The numbers reappeared and he was sent to the other dimension again. In this world, he knew what he was doing. So he immediately walked out of the library to where he saw the statues last trip. He also concluded that the book can see people's past. When he neared the statues, he was struck with awe. His dad was not a rich young man with privileges. What he saw, was an extremely poor young boy. He would only eat half a loaf of bread a week. This was nothing like how Andrew expected. The more he walked by, the more dumbfounded he was. When his dad was in high school, he was popular. He was also at the top of his class with perfect grades. Every time he would leave school, he would spend the day at home studying with books that he stole from the library. One of the memories had him meet a young girl at a food donation center. She was bruised up and extremely thin. They both exchanged glances and started talking. In later memories, they met again at high school. They started talking some more. Turns out that she was also extremely popular, but was always covered up. Both made valedictorian and salutatorian. His dad asked her out on a date and they started dating. All of the memories the dad had about her and their dates, they were studying. They seemed to always study. As it turns out, his dad did not need to pay for college at all. During those four years, he saved up thousands of dollars from his part-time job. After a few promotions and graduating he continued studying at a university. He also got a full-ride scholarship for a university. In later memories, he got married to a woman who also became successful. They both had a child which was Andrew. On that day, he heard them make a vow, to never let our son experience what they had lived through. When he saw this, he just wanted to leave. He had seen enough to make him tear up a bit. When he came to, he was extremely curious about his mom's point of view. When he did, the process became like clockwork. He when in and walked to the statues. At the statues, this time he saw his mom. She was always hiding. Both parents would come home drunk and loved to argue violently in front of her. She had a younger sister too. When she was about five, and her sister was about three, her parents killed her sister. This made her even more scared. She barely ate and was always throw around by her mother. When she was in high school, she would go to food drives and donation centers. When Andrew saw this, he felt horrified. When he reached the part when she met his future dad, he heard what he told her. He said, "hold on for a little while longer." When she heard this, she almost started crying. Andrew saw how she was slowly falling in love with his dad. He also saw when she ran away from her home. He noticed that she never returned home. Instead, she graduated with honors and received a full ride to a university. That is where she graduated to become a psychologist. She then got married to Andrew's dad and had him. He saw how happy they were, and the promise they made. When he went back to the normal world, he began crying. He was sobbing and making a scene right there on the spot. He finally understood why he was being pushed so hard. So he ran straight home. When he arrived him mom was still crying. She had not slept in two days from the anxiety of him not returning. He went home and apologized for everything he had done. He wanted to make it up to his parents. He vowed that on that from that day forward, he would make the most of his education and follow in his parent's footsteps. He kept the book and kept it under his bed.

April 29, 2021 23:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.