2 comments

Drama Suspense Thriller

 

CW: murder

The couple had been seated in a quiet, cozy corner of the restaurant. It was relatively empty for a late Friday night, but this meant there was no one to distract them from their romantic meal and conversation. Jacob, a charismatic man, was enjoying the company of his date Kate, who had relaxed throughout the evening and was now giggling and blushing at the compliments she was receiving from him. They'd had a wonderful date so far and were now enjoying dessert accompanied by a final glass of wine. They appeared to be a perfect match, both attractive and young. The waitress had even commented on what a wonderful couple they made. 

 

Kate circled the rim of her glass with a finger, tilting her head slightly down and staring up in to Jacobs' eyes batting her eyelids. She was filled with confidence as she felt she looked great this evening in her slinky black dress that only makes an appearance on first dates, she'd spent hours perfecting her hair and makeup as well as dousing her body in her favourite, most expensive perfume. She was in awe of how handsome Jacob was, strong jaw, gorgeous eyes and amazing hair. He had even put on a suit. Could this be the one? Kate thought while she twirled a lock of her silky caramel brown hair through her delicate, manicured fingers. She had been flirting all evening, and Jacob was not immune to the advances of such a beautiful woman. He pondered over his plans for the night ahead, However Kate's eagerness and beauty wouldn't be enough to change his mind. She had been nothing but sweet and lovely throughout their meal, laughing at his jokes even when they weren't funny, raising interesting topics of conversation and listening attentively to his hunting tales despite knowing nothing about the subject because of her prestigious upbringing in the City. Her prim and proper past didn't bother Jacob, a country man, Kates delightfulness had caught him completely off guard. Usually he didn't feel an attraction on these dates but Kate seemed to be different. Nether the less he'd made up his mind before even entering the restaurant and Jacob unfortunately had a history of never changing his mind. 

 

All good things must come to an end. They had finished their meal and it was time to go home. Kate, however, was hoping that this didn't mean the date was over. Jacob insisted he paid for dinner so Kate offered to pay for the drinks, only right seeing as she had had at least a whole bottle of wine. After some debate Jacob gave in and agreed. He helped Kate to her feet from her chair and escorted her from their restaurant. Gentlemanly as always, Jacob offered his date a lift home. Kate, keen as ever at the thought of a night of passion, agreed. She stumbled over and practically fell in to the passenger side of the vehicle. 

 

It wasn't until 10 minutes of driving down the dimly lit street Kate realised she hadn't actually told Jacob where she lived. Alarm bells rung inside her skull as she tried to sit up properly and compose herself and thoughts. Jacob stared ahead straight, watching the dark road. Her heart throbbing in her chest about to burst, pounding like a beating drum. After building up enough courage she suddenly yanked at the handle, slamming her body in to the door in order to throw herself from the car that was oddly driving along at the speed limit. Nothing happened, the locks had disappeared down inside the door. Kate slowly turned her head to look at Jacob, who's expression hadn't changed. He was staring through the windscreen with blank eyes; oblivious to her screams. She began to cry, not only feeling foolish for throwing herself at what she originally thought was a wonderful man but of course she was terrified about what was to come. Jacob was still thinking about how lovely she had been and how he really hadn't expected to find Kate so charming. He turned off the road in to the eerie woods, following a dirt path deeper and deeper in to the trees that stretched to the sky. After driving for a while in to the maze of wooden trunks, Jacob surprisingly began to second guess his plan for Kate. Did this woman really deserve the fate he had in mind? Unfortunately, Kates screams were finally irritating enough to distract his train of thought, so he shook those empathetic thoughts from his head and decided this was far enough. With a steady decrease of speed, Jacob pulled over as well as bizarrely unlock the doors. 

 

Confused and trembling with fear Kate turned to looked at Jacob. He was staring at her with a wicked, evil smile that was now stretched across his face from ear to ear. With a final piercing scream she ran from the car. In her drunken state she sprinted deeper in to the woods, loosing all perception of where the road may have been. Stumbling and screaming, she fled. Jacob climbed out the car calmly and made his way to the rear of the vehicle where he retrieved a rifle from the trunk of his car. He checked it over before nestling it comfortably in to his shoulder. The Infrared scope was probably cheating, he thought to himself with a chuckle but then again he wouldn't want to miss. He followed Kate with the scope for a few seconds before pulling the trigger and with that Kate fell to the ground lifeless and alone, hidden amongst the green foliage where she would be hard to find. Jacob stared at her body for a minute, making sure she wasn't moving before putting his gun back in the car and reversing carefully all the way back out of the woods. Driving down the road again his phone pinged. He checked it quickly as he was driving but managed to read his text. Amber would love to meet up for a date this weekend.

February 14, 2021 17:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Courtney C
16:00 Feb 21, 2021

I really enjoyed the dark twist that your story took! Good writing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aashna Patil
04:41 Feb 26, 2021

I loved the twist...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.