14 comments

Fiction

                                       Victoria 

Mary Beth Keegan was about to stumble upon the most monumental story of her fledgling journalistic career. How did I know? Because I was the one planting it right in the palm of her naive little hand. 

I met Mary Beth in my History of the English Language seminar class, three months ago. She stumbled through the doorway of Davis Hall, nearly dropping her Old English Dictionary on her flip-flopped foot. She took a seat at the long discussion table, far away from my intimidating podium of dark walnut. 

I raised a brow, yet smiled at her, not wanting to frighten the already skittish mouse who appeared ready to cry or run at any moment. I folded my hands on top of the podium, waiting and watching. 

As the others made their way in, I gathered the course syllabus to hand out because I’ve always been old school in my approach. Yes, everything was accessible online, but I still kept to my tradition of handing out the syllabus on the first day, making expectations known, and having each student sign/tear off/turn in the last page. It was a statement of academic integrity, each student vowing to uphold the utmost standard of behavior. Was it legally binding? Not at all. Did it help to let them know I was not just a pretty face and pushover? Absolutely. 

The small group of 8 students was an ideal size to discuss the origin and evolution of language. Small group was what I liked best. More intimate. I could get to know the students better, dissect their personalities, categorize their characters. It was how I came to know Mary Beth, and her position as school reporter for The Stygian Speaker, our school newspaper. 

To say I’d been plotting and planning could be a stretch, but when the opportunity presented itself, I grabbed hold and moved forward in my objective. 

Mary Beth was the key to everything coming together. Or, should I say, coming apart for a certain Head of English Department, Eric Graves. 

Dr. Graves was jealous of me from the start. The faculty adored me, the students requested me, and I was keen on taking his position in the upcoming years. And he knew it. 

He had played a part in the interview process, and never let me forget that it was his go-ahead that secured my appointment to the department. 

Once hired, he requested private meetings far too frequently for my liking, making up excuses to review curriculum or other nonsense. When the meetings were scheduled in the evening, he often asked to order-in dinner. Then he insisted on going out to dinner, because “it would only make sense to grab something together.” I agreed, not wanting to offend. I knew how to play the game.

One night, alone in his dimly lit office, as I perused a possible Classical Literature Anthology, Graves inched closer. I could feel his warm bourbon breath on my face as he leaned in, feigning interest in the book. He took a sip of his drink, then set down his glass. His hand found its way to my lower back, then lower.  He stood over me, bending down to whisper “I think you know why I’ve been scheduling these meetings, Victoria.”

“Clearly you value my opinion and knowledge of what we need in the department, and know you aren’t capable of important decision making yourself?” I replied as I stood up to face him. 

“Is that what you think? That’s so cute, no really, simply adorable,” he laughed. 

When he put his hands around my waist and pulled me to his mouth, I pushed him back against his bookcase of collectible classics. 

“I believe that’s all, Dr. Graves. I will let you handle the decisions now, and see my way out,” I said as I slammed his office door. I could hear the sound of books being thrown against it as I made my way down the staircase to the front door of the empty building. 

After that, Graves did everything he could to give me the most difficult classes to teach, horrible time slots to offer them, and refused requests for Teaching Assistants to help with the endless grading of exams and papers. 

Until Mary Beth. 

When I requested the young mouse to help in my overwhelming responsibilities, Graves seemed quite interested. 

“So you can’t handle your responsibilities and need a little helper? I always knew you lacked what it takes to be any good at your job. Why I recommended your hire is beyond me. Yes, Victoria, you may appoint a helper to do your work,” Graves said with a sneer. 

“That’s Dr. Fields, if you don’t mind. And I’ll submit the paperwork in the morning for you to sign off.” 

As we parted ways, we glared with venom glistening in our eyes at each other. Our dislike for each other stemmed from different places, but it manifested in our daily interactions all the same. 

But soon, I would be the one smiling. 

“All done with that stack?” I asked Mary Beth. 

“Yes, all done and ready to start the next ones!” she replied, sliding her glasses back in place on her little pixie nose. 

“You are amazing. I hope you realize that. And I appreciate you so much. It certainly makes life easier when you feel your worth, right? Though, I can’t speak for that much around here,” I dramatically offered, gazing out the window with a frown. I needed to be convincing. 

“Oh, why would you think that, Dr. Fields? Everyone here respects and admires you so much!” Mary Beth argued, taking the bait. 

“Well, you see, not everyone feels that way. And it’s not my place but…oh nevermind. Would you like a cup of tea while we work? Earl Grey?” 

I made my way to my electric kettle and plunked two tea bags in oversized mugs. 

“Dr. Fields, you can trust me. And sometimes getting things off your chest can help you feel better about the situation,” Mary Beth offered with a concerned look on her face. 

“I know I can trust you, it’s just, if Dr. Graves ever found out I slipped his secrets he would…oh I’ve said too much already!” and I clasped my hand to my mouth to sell it. 

“Dr. Graves? The head of the department?” 

“Yes. Maybe you’re right, maybe if I only told you, I would feel better about the whole thing.” 

We took our tea and sat at the little table by my office window. I stared into my mug, then locked eyes with Mary Beth. 

“He isn’t what he seems,” I whispered. Mary Beth leaned in closer, her hands wrapped tightly around her mug, waiting for me to go on. 

“He told me in confidence that he’s been taking bribes from students for years now. Everything from exam grades to scholarships within the department. He wanted me to be a part of it, but you know me, I could never do something underhanded. I told him I refused to take part in his schemes, and he has made me regret it since. I could report it, but who would believe me? I haven’t worked here as long as him, and I don’t hold his clout. If only there were a way to expose him…but, I suppose we will just have to accept it. Wrong as it is.”

“What if there IS a way? What if we expose his story and let them investigate? They’re bound to find the evidence!” 

I held back my smile, and reeled in my catch. 

“Do you think? Can we possibly find a way? If it’s of any help, I believe he keeps a folder on his bookshelf with dollar amounts, initials of names, that kind of thing. It’s next to his rare edition of Othello. That would provide proof if someone were looking.” I offered. 

“Leave it to me, Dr. Fields. I know just how to take care of this.”

I knew she would run this story in the next edition of the paper. Someone would find the file I planted while in his office working late with him. Then it would be a matter of time before his time ran out. I couldn’t have found a better puppet than Mary Beth, barely needing to pull the strings to make her do my work. 

I sipped my tea as Mary Beth hurried from my office, undoubtedly poised to write her article. 

                              Mary Beth

“English Professor Accused of Taking Bribes Fired From University” by Mary Beth Keegan.

It was the expose I’d always dreamed of, uncovering a scandal and becoming a hero to my peers. 

“Cheers, to a fine job!” my delighted professor said, as we clinked a celebratory glass of champagne. 

“You know, we never liked each other. You really did the entire University a favor.”

I smiled as I sat on Dr. Grave’s lap. 

“I would do anything for you, you know that,” I said as I downed my glass. 

“She really underestimated you, giving you the exact proof to leave in her office after you published the story about her taking bribes from students. Brilliant, my darling.” 

“I knew it was just a matter of time once you assigned me to her, before she gave me something to work with. She didn’t see it coming, and seems she greatly misjudged where my loyalty falls.” 

“Yes, you certainly know when you’re being manipulated, don’t you,” Dr Graves said as he stroked my hair. 

In my lap, I pretended to check a text message as I leaned back into Dr. Graves chest. I opened my recording app and pressed the button, then set it nonchalantly on my leg. He was focused on his glass of bourbon. 

“Tell me more, Dr., about the way you hire new professors here. I can’t believe you’ve been doing it for so long, and nobody has found out!”

“Well, sometimes you just know how to get around red tape, and convince the right people. Let me tell you how I got Dr. Richards his position…”

“Yes, I can’t wait to hear,” I said as I moved my phone closer on my lap. 

November 08, 2023 19:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Michał Przywara
21:46 Nov 09, 2023

Ah, great twist! And then it's a double-twist :) But there were clues, looking back. The fact Graves allowed Mary Beth to help out should have been a red flag to Victoria, but she was so desperate at that point she missed it. And then, "you certainly know when you’re being manipulated, don’t you" - well, *we* know she's being manipulated right now, so we wonder if she does too. And of course she does, and she's working on the next scoop. There's a great atmosphere of intrigues and back-biting in this story - the very worst of office poli...

Reply

Nina H
21:54 Nov 09, 2023

This was one where I had the twists in my head as I was writing it, then got muddled with what *I* knew vs what the reader knew vs what the characters knew moving along. I nearly tripped on my twists. 😂 Thanks so much for the comments and reading!! It’s a light showing of entries so far this week. I wonder how many will turn in their Academia essays right at the bell!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
15:11 Nov 09, 2023

Great stuff Nina. Academic scandal at the highest level :) It was clever working the sexism angle into the story. It gave it another dimension. Structure was effective as well, flipping the narrator. I didn't see the twist coming. I also mentioned Earl Grey in my story. What is it about professors and that drink? 😂 Awesome work. Thanks for sharing

Reply

Nina H
15:44 Nov 09, 2023

Lol! That’s too funny we both had our professors sipping Earl Grey this week!! I was going to spell out why Victoria doesn’t go down the route of sexual harassment accusations (how it’s “he said she said” more often than not, and doesn’t stick like hard evidence), but I left it out. I don’t know, maybe I’ll put it in? 🤔 Thanks for reading! I wasn’t really sure where to go this week with these prompts!

Reply

Tom Skye
15:48 Nov 09, 2023

Yeah I noticed the story count this week isn't high. Quite niche. I think the harassment predicament came across well anyway. Great story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mike Ramsey
21:58 Nov 22, 2023

I enjoyed the story and the twist, but as a former journalist I can tell you that no decent reporter would ever snuggle up to a potential source and deceive them like this. It rubbed me the wrong way. It's sort of like saying that the only reason a pretty person is hired is because they offered to sleep with someone.

Reply

Nina H
22:54 Nov 22, 2023

Hmm. Well, I certainly never intended to offend anyone here with this little tale of fiction. As far as saying the only reason a person is hired is because they offered to sleep with someone, I’m not sure where that idea is here. Victoria flat out rejects him, standing her ground. And Mary Beth is described as a “stumbling”, “skittish as a mouse” girl who “may run and cry” at any moment. Not someone offering to sleep with someone. My intent was for her to make a bold move for a story, since she knew Grave’s character flaw. I think there are...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gregg Punger
14:26 Nov 18, 2023

Another great story Nina. I loved all the twists.

Reply

Nina H
22:29 Nov 18, 2023

Thanks Gregg! I appreciate it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emilie Ocean
15:48 Nov 13, 2023

Great twist. I like the female is strong, bold, and smart. Beautifully crafted and great eye for detail.

Reply

Nina H
16:08 Nov 13, 2023

Thanks so much Emilie! Yes, she’s turning the tables on her professors for her own benefit!! Bold indeed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
18:54 Nov 11, 2023

Good stuff, Nina. A well executed double twist!

Reply

Nina H
19:01 Nov 11, 2023

Thanks Chris!!! 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
16:02 Nov 11, 2023

It appears we both had the handsy and menacing professor-types in our stories this week! The best twists are the ones we don't see coming, and I certainly didn't see this coming. I wasnt sure where it was going since Victoria seemed to be the scammer at first. Well, it turns out all three of them had their own agendas! Though it seems like Mary Beth may still be helping Victoria out by double-crossing Graves (he deserves to be the one getting screwed over this time though)!. This was a fun little drama, but it's unfortunate that this may ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.