Descendants of love

Submitted into Contest #29 in response to: Write a story about someone falling in love for the first time.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

“Marriage?, At this age? Why is he doing this? A year ago he surprised us with a divorce, now he’s going to marry?” I was furious but Mom looked calm as always.

“What is this life, Can’t he understand that I am going through a lot because of him, How hard was it for me to recover after he divorced you. This is insane and humiliating.” I didn’t know how to handle the frustration, except showing it to the only person who was by my side.

“Mom this is crazy, are you going to stay silent, while he’s going to happily remarry some gold digger …” My heart sobbed out loud.

She looked sympathetic; she must have felt guilty as she spoke softly to calm me down. “Dane, it is going to be okay, dear. He’s your father after all. He loves you. He is just trying to be happy after a very long time. Let’s just allow him to be happy.”

“This is hilarious, you’re taking his side. Huh! Just leave me alone.” I skipped dinner and kept myself locked in the room. Even sleep betrayed me that night when I wanted to sleep so badly as thoughts about my father disturbed me heavily. He was a reputed engineer and a caring father whom I respected the most when I was young. He and my mother indeed had no strong relationship, but they both loved me and my childhood was happy. They educated me well and I had no worries until I started a job. Last year was the most traumatized time of my life, as my father brought up a divorce, and he actually proceeded. Now that I am independent, he wanted to have his own life. I never knew he can have another life without me and Mom.

I don’t know how I fell asleep, but in my dreams, I knelt in front of my father and begged him not to marry another woman. I might be so desperate to stop their marriage that I even dreamt of doing such a thing that I will never do without losing my senses.

The next morning I woke up late with a headache. Beside my bed was my favorite hot chocolate milk, as if Mom knew I would be feeling horrible. That was her little effort to make me feel good, but I felt bad for her. Without expressing her heavy heart, she always endured and suffered alone but did everything to make me feel better. I was not confident enough to face her, so I left home without even greeting.

I rushed to my office as I had to attend a meeting with the new chairman of the company. I work for a reputed multinational enterprise Software Company as a software engineer. Even though I started only a year ago I was doing well in my career amidst the conflicts in the family. I was blaming myself for oversleeping on such an important day. I reached the office twenty minutes before the meeting and on my way to the lift; suddenly something hit me splashing a hot liquid on my shirt.

I froze. A lady was on the ground. Her round eyes looked at me with great fear yearning forgiveness. Her sparkling eyes were impressive and beautiful, but my brain was smart enough to recognize the disaster.

“What the hell are you doing?” The girl stood up and started apologizing. “ oh! God, I am sorry I am so sorry. I slipped, as I am not used to wearing heels”. My shirt was ruined because of her coffee and I had no time to hear her apology. “Stop that already. I have a meeting with the chairman; your stupid coffee ruined my shirt.” As I turned to go to the washroom, she followed me apologizing and asked me to wait for ten minutes. She pleaded to wait for her, in the washroom. I decided to wait. “only ten minutes.” I firmly said. After exactly six minutes the girl appeared with a white shirt in one hand and her pair of heels on the other hand. She was panting, trying to catch her breath. It was a comedy; however, I managed to hide my laughter and got changed and hurried to the conference room. At that time I did not care about the coffee girl or how she got me a shirt, and the meeting was successfully ended.

At lunchtime, I got a call. It was from my father, I did not want to get disturbed so I did not answer. Instead, I strolled to the park in front of the office to have some fresh air. The lady from the morning was sitting on a bench reading a book. I went to her and sat beside her, “Hello there, I couldn’t talk to you in the morning”. She looked over her book, “Oh! Hello, How did it go? You just left me without a word, I was worried.”

“Sorry about that, but where did you find this shirt?.” I finally let my curiosity be heard. She pointed to a small shop next to the park which I have never noticed. “I bought it there since I ruined your shirt.” In my head, I was picturing her running without her heels all the way to the shop back and forth which is hilarious. “Thank you. By the way, if you are not comfortable why do you wear heels?”.

“It’s not that I like, but I was told to wear like this, at least for the interviews.” She was more like complaining. “You came for an interview? For which department?” I kind of felt bad to make her run on the day of an interview, but I never asked for it. “Supply chain, which department are you in?.” “Software Engineering,” I replied. She was excited to hear that and all sorts of questions were flooding for me to answer regarding the salary, working condition and much more. The little talk stretched for an hour, however, I managed to escape, saying I have another meeting.

My father had sent me a message saying he wanted to meet me, but I knew it was best to ignore him. My boring life continued, but after three days later a familiar face greeted me “Good morning.” She was smiling as if she’s happy to see me. “Oh! You got the job.” I grinned. “Yes, now we’ll see each other more often.”

“That means, I might get coffee spilled on my shirt again.” We both laughed. “I am Hanna.” She said giving her hand for a handshake. “I’m Dane.”

Days went on, we met at lunchtime and after work at the park, and Hanna became a good friend to me soon. She was my hideout to avoid my problems in the family and it was the first time that I had such a good friendship.

Hanna’s father had passed away when she was five, and she lived with her mother whom she loved the most. Her whole world revolved around her mother and she would do anything to make her happy. Hanna taught me how to make my mother happy, not by doing big things but little things like buying her favorite snack, watching a movie together and going on a road trip on a Sunday. I could see these little changes made my mother a lot happier than she was. I decided to give my father a chance as well.

A few weeks later I answered a call made by my father. “Hey son, I know you might be angry with me, but I miss you. How about having tea this weekend?.” I felt like I should at least hear him out. “Okay, I’ll come around this Saturday.” I agreed.

I hadn’t told Hanna about my father remarrying. I had only told her about the divorce. Hanna was happy for her mother these days but she didn’t tell me why. ‘We both can share our untold stories when the things got settled’, I thought.

The next day, I met Hanna at the park after work. She was reading like the first day I saw her, but seeing me, she kept the book away. We talked about our parents that day, Hanna’s mother was also an engineer, but later she was into designing. “She was unlucky with her first love, but she always had remembered him.” It seemed like she felt bad for her mother the same as how I felt bad for my mother. The story got disturbed by a call for Hanna. “Sorry, Dane I have to leave now, my mother is not well, see you later.” She hurried and said goodbye. A book was there on the bench; the book Hanna was reading. I took it with me hoping to return it next time.

After I got home and relaxed, I wanted to read Hanna’s book. It was not a book but an old diary. The owner was not Hanna, but someone called “Ann”.

There were stories about a group of friends, who met in a university. I read the last few pages which were enough to make afraid of losing something I never want to lose.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Today was their wedding, unfortunately, I was invited. I couldn’t look at the man of my dreams, getting married to one of the most special persons in my life. I endured well, but I won’t be able anymore. I couldn’t even confess my love for him. Why is it hurting so much? Is it because I couldn’t confess or is it because of the betrayal of my best friend?

I keep reminding of the times that Elsa and I have late night conversations about our first love, how she gave me ideas to confess and how we both tried hard and got him into our clique so that we can become friends. Those memories would not make me happy anymore but definitely would make me cry inside every day.

I was a fool to think James loved me, but it was unbearable to see how he looked at me, even today. I couldn’t even ask Elsa how they got together, as I lost faith even in myself. There was nothing that I could do, but wishing them a happy wedded life and this was truly from my heart. Elsa should be happy with him just like today. I’m sure she will be a great wife to James and make him happy.

I am leaving my first love in the hands of my best friend. I forgive her, as betrayal might not be the right word. James will remain in my heart as my best friend’s husband.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

In this unclear story, the only thing that I know for sure is, James is my father and Elsa is my mother. I knew they found each other in the university, but I never knew there’s an untold story.

I took the diary to my mother, that I time I needed a confirmation. “Mom, By any chance do you know someone named Ann?” As expected she was shocked, I gave her the diary. “If it’s someone you know, I think you should read the last page.” She read it and cried a river that day.

“I did betray her, because of what I did, no one was happy in our lives. Your father did like her, but I stopped him. He was going to confess to Ann, but I stopped him saying Ann loved someone else. But truly they were each other’s first love and I separated them.” I could see how much she was regretting. “Mom, the person Dad’s going to marry, is it Ann?” I was more and more afraid of the reply.

 ”Yes, after our wedding she left the country and stayed in the US. There she had got married, but her husband had passed away. Now she has come back and she has a daughter one year younger than you. Since they are now relaxed from their responsibilities, they have decided to get back together.” She covered her face and started sobbing again.

 Ann has a daughter and trying to marry my father. My heart was falling apart and I prayed to God, “Please, Hanna shouldn’t be Ann’s daughter.”

Terrible night and every minute was torture for me. I did not want to be a sibling to Hanna. I have not thought of her more than a friend, but my heart was crying as if I am to lose a precious thing of mine.

On Saturday evening, before I leave my mother talked to me. “Dane, I really like if you could give your blessings to your father’s wedding, he deserves to be happy so does Ann. Even for a short time, they deserve it.” Deep down I knew she was right, but my heart was not ready to accept that fate.

When I enter my father’s house, a lady who was nearly my mother’s age was arranging the table and as she saw me she smiled as if she knew me for a long time, just like Hanna. “Hello, you are Dane, right? “ My father introduced her to me. “This is Ann.” I could barely say hello to her. After a minute someone arrived at the door. “Hanna come here darling; meet Mr. James and his son Dane.”

I would never forget that moment which broke my heart into thousands of pieces. Hanna had frozen by the door, not knowing what to tell. She could barely speak. “Do you know him before?” Ann asked Hanna noticing her odd behavior. “Umm. No.” Replied Hanna. The whole time it was awkward for both of me and Hanna and finally, Ann broke the silence. “Hanna, can you pick some flowers for the vase from the back yard and Dane, can you help Hanna?” We both nodded and came out of the house. “Don’t act like you know me,” Hanna told me but her round, beautiful eyes were full of tears. She must have felt the same as me, fear of losing each other.

“Okay, all fine. But why are you crying?” My arrogant voice hit her. Tears rolled down her cheeks and she looked away from me. ”So it was easy for you. I was a fool.” Hanna broke into tears, but covered her mouth, to make sure her cries cannot be heard. I gently patted her on the shoulders saying “ I read Ann’s diary and I knew what happened. But we do not need to sacrifice ourselves for their past.” Hanna was surprised, “I am never going to do anything that disturbs them”. She firmly said.

“Hanna, look here, I think I like you, and If you like me too, just tell me. We will not be able to turn back if kept going and became siblings.” Hanna said nothing but her tears made her answer crystal clear.

I ran back to the house and knelt in front of my father. “Hanna and I have met before, we work for the same company and we like each other.” I did not know how I got stuck after saying that, my voice didn’t come out. “We like each other.” I murmured several times to make sure those words are heard. My vision was blurred because of the tears. I was doing what I saw in my dreams as I did not want to lose Hanna. I might be out of my senses as it was the first time that I understood my feelings for Hanna and the fact that I have fallen in love.

I saw tears in my fathers and Ann’s eyes. When I came out of the house, Hanna was crying out loud in the garden. I gave her Ann’s diary before and kissed her on the forehead. “This might be first and the last time,” I thought to myself.

Our cruel fate separated my father and Ann years ago, and to give them another chance Hanna and I the descendants of their love sacrificed our love. I sincerely wished if we all could be happy.

Months later my father and Ann moved to the US, but they never registered their marriage. Hanna often comes to visit me and my mother adores her, maybe because she reminds her of Ann.

Without knowing what would happen next, we all have decided to be happy living in this moment and make this every moment the most beautiful moment of life.


February 21, 2020 02:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.