The Music Prodigy Who Didn’t Want To Be A Musician

Submitted into Contest #26 in response to: Write about a character who was raised in a musical family.... view prompt

2 comments

General

Practice. Practice.

Practice.

And more practice.

That was all she had to do for most of her life. Even now, her long, slender fingers moved gracefully across the keys of her beautiful ivory-white grand piano. The piano was placed in a corner of the room close to one of two large windows. Closer to the other window was an upholstered daybed. It looked very comfortable and inviting. There was a cozy fireplace too. It was built into the wall on the opposite side of the room and fit snugly as if it just belonged there. On the right side of the piano there was a sofa and coffee table. These two items were also upholstered.. The coffee table could be used as an ottoman for extra seating, if needed.


It was Arlene Kelly’s favorite room. This practice room was designed for luxury and comfort. It wasn't too extravagant and cluttered. Whenever she was there, she felt good. The eldest of three children, she was born in and raised by a family of musicians. When she was 6 years old, her parents sent her to one of the best piano teachers. Music was part of her life and filled her house. As a little child she always heard her parents practicing their respective instruments. Being prominent in the music industry, they had very high hopes for Arlene.


As expected, Arlene was a prodigy. It

wasn't long before she played the piano perfectly and mastered all the songs she was given. This pleased her parents a lot and they were very proud of her. She participated in music contests and won. Then she began performing with her parents at shows and festivals. Her parents were known as the best classical musicians nationally. They expected their three children to follow the same path. Arlene’s siblings learned musical instruments chosen by their parents when they were 6 years old too.


Arlene had always loved music and was very passionate about it. She played the piano with great enthusiasm. Her early years were filled only with classical music because of her parents. They didn't listen to anything else and Arlene and her siblings didn't have any control over the music they listened to as young children. In her teen years she was exposed to different types of music. Modern music appealed to her. She couldn't listen to it at home, however. Her parents didn’t allow it and they called it “vile and unorthodox” music. When at home she was expected to practice piano when she wasn't eating, taking a shower or sleeping.


She practiced now under the watchful eyes and keen ears of her mother. Mrs. Kelly sat on a chair in front of the piano, listening very intently to Arlene’s every note. She could detect the slightest mistake and would immediately frown and point it out. Everything had to be perfect for her. Arlene was practicing for the Annual Musical Contest. There was one day left to prepare.


In her late teens and early adulthood, Arlene felt the pressure of her status. She lost interest in music instead of enjoying it and became frustrated and depressed. Being a prodigy didn't make her happy anymore. She began hating music and wished she wasn't from a family of musicians. Arlene had her own dream. It was her secret. She wanted to help people who feel lost and don't know what to do with their lives. To do that, she chose to be a career counsellor. She could never tell her parents. She knew they wouldn’t accept it.


She thought about these things while playing the song without much enthusiasm. She made many mistakes and Mrs. Kelly was not pleased at all. Given the importance of the contest her mother was more tense than usual.

Mrs. Kelly frowned and bit her lower lip in exasperation as she said, “No! That's not correct! Stop playing and start again.”

Arlene simply said, “Yes mother…” and she would play again, doing exactly what her mother told her to do.


This was repeated for a few hours until her mother couldn't handle it anymore.

She sighed deeply, frustration clouding her face.

“What's wrong, Arlene? You never make a mistake more than once. I don't know what's going on in your mind these days. Would you please enlighten me?”

Arlene stopped playing and thought about telling her mother the truth but looking at her expression at that moment she knew how that would turn out.

“It's nothing for you to worry about mother. I wasn't focused. That's all.”

Her mother looked as if she never heard the phrase “wasn't focused” in her whole life.


“Not focused?! How can you ‘NOT FOCUS’ at a time like this?! Do you realize that we are performing together at the contest, Arlene? That means we have to be in perfect harmony with each other.” Mrs. Kelly went on and on about how important their performance would be as if theirs was the only one and it would be the end of their lives and the world if they lost it.


Arlene just listened quietly to her mother until she was done. It wasn't anything new. She just replied with a “Yes, mother” or “I know, mother” whenever her mother expected her to reply. Unfortunately, her mother didn’t leave her in peace until she played the song perfectly. Mrs. Kelly sang accompanied by Arlene on piano. They practiced together until her mother was satisfied. Then she was allowed to take a short break and eat. After that more practice.


The day of the contest arrived. The Kellys were tense and nervous, especially Mrs. Kelly. They practiced one last time and got ready for the event. Outside the magnificent concert hall, Arlene and her family greeted many people whom they knew and they engaged in a little small talk with them before going inside. It was clear that everyone had very high expectations for Arlene and her family. This reputation began with her parents when they set a winning record during their younger days. Her parents were legends in the music industry. Their children were expected to be the same.


Inside the huge concert hall everyone took their seats and the contest began. There were many participants and a lot of new talent. Arlene was in the solo instrument category and duet with her mother. She would provide the piano accompaniment to her mother’s singing. The contest continued and Mr. Kelly and Arlene’s siblings took the stage with their exquisite performances. Whenever they performed, they enthralled the audience. As expected, they did very well and the hall erupted with loud cheers and applause for them. Mrs. Kelly was so proud. She praised them a lot and hugged them while beaming with pride.


Arlene sat there watching everything without interest. Since she lost her passion for music she felt bored and didn't want to be there. She wasn't even attentive to what was going on around her. She clapped her hands automatically with everyone else, forced a smile and congratulated those who performed well if they were near her. She wished that she could spend her time focusing on what she really wanted to do. The glamorous life she lived until now felt meaningless to her.


After what felt like a very long time it was finally her turn. Mrs. Kelly warned her daughter to stay focussed during her solo performance. All eyes followed her as she rose from her seat and walked to the stage. A grand piano awaited her there. The air was thick with anticipation. She felt the pressure like a cloak covering her tightly.


As Arlene played, sweet and melodious piano music filled the hall. She played beautifully. Her fingers moved smoothly and elegantly on the piano keyboard. It was easy to see that she was an exceptionally gifted pianist. They loved her music and enjoyed the rhythm and flow of it. It was the kind of music which made you feel like you were by the ocean watching the waves on a calm day with a soft breeze gently caressing the waves and your hair. It was peaceful and refreshing at the same time. The first half of the song; and most of the second half as well, were played perfectly.


Then something happened. Arlene’s fingers slipped and she lost her timing and rhythm. She stepped away from the piano and apologized to everyone, saying she couldn't continue. Then she went back to her seat in the audience. For the first time in her life, Arlene Kelly made a mistake while performing. The hall was filled with hushed whispers as people wondered what had happened. Mrs. Kelly was too shocked to say anything at that moment. She always expected Arlene to be perfect and never imagined such a thing could happen. The rest of the Kelly family were shocked too.


No one said anything, but her mother kept giving her disdainful looks. Arlene knew what would come later at home. Her family were too proud and cared too much about their reputation to cause a scene in public.


Finally it was time for the grand finale. This was the duet performance of Arlene and her mother.

“You better not ruin this!” Mrs. Kelly whispered fiercely while doing her best to look calm and confident. “We practiced a lot so there's no reason for you to make mistakes. Think about our reputation and the award.” Arlene didn't respond. There wasn't any point in it. What could she say to her mother which would make her understand her feelings? She just followed her to the stage and they began their performance.


It was magical. Singer and pianist were in perfect harmony with each other. They mesmerized the audience and their family too. Everyone thought it was their best performance ever. Then suddenly and unexpectedly, Arlene, who lacked interest, couldn't find a connection with the song she played and her mother's singing. It sounded bad now. The perfect harmony was lost. In that moment she realized that even being as adept as she was and with all the practice that she possibly had, without interest it still wouldn't be good at all. It just felt empty. They finished the performance but it didn’t sound as good as it did at the beginning.


Arlene didn't win any awards this time. She was the only member of her family who didn't receive any but she didn't care. There was a lot of tension at home that night after the contest. No one said a word. All were tired so they just went to sleep after getting ready for bed. Arlene knew that wasn't the end of it...


The next morning, as she expected, her mother confronted her. She was direct and didn't play around with words.

“You disappoint us, Arlene. Your father and I had very high hopes for you. You have a very promising career as a musician, and yet, in just one night, one very important night, you ruined our winning streak as a family and our reputation as the best as well. Lately you haven't shown as much enthusiasm as you used to. What happened to you? Please do tell us what's going on with you.” She waited expectantly for an answer. The whole family waited.


With each word her mother spoke, Arlene saw clearly that her family wouldn't understand her. The way they all looked at her revealed that they were disappointed. Since she didn't live up to their expectations now, they were shocked that a prodigy in the family could turn out like this. It was something new to them. Realizing this, Arlene decided to tell them the truth. There was no point in hiding it anymore just to please her family. She knew what the result would be anyway.


“Everyone… I have something to say to you all. I can't keep it to myself anymore. I hope you will hear me out and understand me.” Without averting her eyes she looked at them and spoke confidently and calmly. “I want to be a career counsellor. Not a musician. I don't have an interest in music anymore. I'm sorry if this disappoints you. I don't feel connected to it now so I wouldn't be able to play well even if you continue to insist and force me. I just feel lost and empty. All I want to do is help people find their true selves and what they really want to do. I can do that as a career counsellor and bring some happiness and completeness to others.”


Her words stunned them all. They couldn't believe what they heard. Her siblings looked at each other and didn't really know how to react. Mr Kelly stayed silent, his expression blank. Mrs. Kelly’s mouth opened and closed many times before she managed to say, “No! Absolutely not! I can't let you do this…” She continued talking about how disappointed she was and wouldn't allow her children to ruin the family reputation. She talked about their family history and how all generations were musicians. It was a special family tradition for them. Finally she said, “If you break this tradition, then you're not my daughter anymore.”


This time it was Arlene’s turn to be shocked. She didn't think that her mother would go so far as to cast her out of the family if she chose a different path. This was too much for her. She ran out of the house with tears filling her eyes. She felt more alone than ever. Her family didn't have a special bond, but they were good to each other like any normal family. Now she wondered if they really cared about each other or cared more about music and their reputation. Feeling very upset she continued walking until she reached a park.


It was a beautiful park with brightly coloured flowers, lush grass and tree avenues. She walked aimlessly around until she heard the sound of music in the distance. Feeling drawn to the melody she followed it. When she was closer, the music became louder and she recognized it as a flute. The beautiful music filled the air and soothed her. It made her feel so good and it cheered her up a little. She continued walking, getting closer and closer to the music, until she saw who was playing it.


The person playing the flute was an Asian man. He was old and he looked poor. He sat by the lake and continued playing, putting his whole heart and soul into the music. Arlene was mesmerized as she watched him and continued listening until the music stopped. She clapped her hands and cheered the beautiful performance. The old man noticed her and smiled. He bowed and thanked her for appreciating his music.


“I've never heard such beautiful music before,” she smiled. “It feels so heavenly and blissful.”

“You haven't heard the sound of the flute before?” he asked curiously.

She shook her head. “No. Actually I haven't heard much of anything except the classical instruments my parents like and play.”

“Oh I see. Then your parents influenced your choice of music a lot?” he asked.

Arlene nodded. “Yes.” She told him her story and all that had happened. “So you see,” she concluded, “in the end, I lost interest in music and couldn't connect to it.”

The old man listened patiently to Arlene’s story and nodded sympathetically when she finished.

“This must have been very hard for you. Too much pressure just by being from a musical family… I understand you.” There was silence for awhile as they watched the lake, then the old man continued speaking. “Music can't be forced on anyone. A person can only feel connected to it if it resonates with them here.” He placed his hand on his heart to show Arlene what he meant. “From your experience and situation, I think you now realize how music can give us positive and negative feelings. Music is the key to the soul. It can't be forced. Each person finds their own preferences and style while respecting others.”


These words from a stranger inspired and enlightened Arlene. Even her teachers hadn't made her feel like this. The empty feeling inside her vanished like mist in the sunlight. Music took on a whole new meaning for her now. She thanked the man happily and went home. She knew what to do. She would be true to herself no matter what anyone thought of her or expected from her.


Time passed and Arlene became a very good career counsellor. She was sought after by anyone who needed her advice and guidance and they appreciated her genuinely. One of the most fulfilling things for her, besides having her dream career, was that she regained her passion for music but in a different way than before. Now she listened to music that she loved. She played music too. She chose the harp and learned to play it very well. She didn't play as a professional musician anymore. She did it for her own pleasure and at family gatherings sometimes.


Eventually, her family learned that people can't be forced to do anything against their will. They saw how happy Arlene was and how successful she was in her own way. Then they realized that people shine best when they are true to themselves. They were proud of her and thanked her for being bold enough to make them see the truth. Arlene smiled and always told the story of how she met the poor old man beside a lake in the park that day. His words changed her way of thinking and her life. She wouldn’t forget those words for the rest of her life.


February 01, 2020 00:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sam Kirk
22:05 Feb 07, 2020

Sometimes strangers give the best advice. This is a nice piece that encourages everyone to pursue their own dreams.

Reply

Naomi Lee
04:00 Feb 29, 2020

Yes that's true. Thank you for reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.