1 comment

Friendship Inspirational Romance

was nervous. She supposed she should be excited, enthusiastic but instead she was borderline terrified. She wasn't sure what she was so scared of; it wasn't like this was her first time sledding. It used to be the only thing in common between her and her father, the only reason they'd spend time together. Ever since her dad had passed away, it felt wrong to do this without him. She had been craving sledding for weeks, but had been procrastinating. She felt as if she had to honour her father's memory by going where they spent the most time together. She was also skittish, flinching if anyone came anyone near her. She began imagining throwing up all over the snowy hill, and then they'd kick her out and she wouldn't have to sled. Hesitantly, she trudged onwards and tried to calm her nerves.

Adam was excited. He had faint memories of sledding, sliding down a soft, white, cold hill. He'd often reminiscence about having fun with his siblings on the sled and falling into the malleable blanket of snow. He couldn't wait to go sledding again. He had full confidence in his muscle memory. It had been over a decade since he'd gone sledding. Moreover, he cherished the experience sledding had created with his siblings. At one point all his siblings had been really close, but after graduation, they'd all gone their separate ways and hadn't maintained touch. He hoped to relive those euphoric feelings, those carefree, exhilarating feelings. He had even tried to reach out to his siblings, to see if any of them were free to go sledding; none had responded. Adam decided to not let this bother him. They must be busy being successful, surely they wouldn't ignore their brother. He convinced himself to still go sledding. Just because his siblings were too engrossed in their work doesn't mean he couldn't have some fun. He took a deep breath and prepared himself.

Anita was waiting in line for the gondola lift. She was trying to suppress her heavy breathing but wasn't very successful, she was basically panting. Finally it was her turn to get in the cabin. But for some reason, she couldn't move. She was completely paralysed. She thought to herself, "Okay, just move one leg and then the other. Come on, Ani, you can do this, just move people are staring."

The man behind her tapped her on the shoulder and asked in a concerned voice," Hey, are you okay?"

He was wearing a heavy puffer jacket, mittens, a beanie and held a sled. She gulped and nodded, unable to even speak.

He asked," Are you sure? Its been five minutes and you haven't moved. Do you need help?"

She nodded yet again.

He stepped into the cabin and held out his gloved hand. Anita, at last, regained control of her limbs. She took his hand and climbed onto the cabin. The guide closed the cabin and the gondola lift took off.

Adam was concerned about the fidgety woman in front of him. She hadn't made eye contact with him, instead choosing to stare at the floor. "Maybe this was her first time? No, people don't go sledding do the first time alone.", Adam thought.

"Is this your first time?"

Anita shook her head.

"Whats your name?"

"Anita. Whats yours?"

"Adam. If you don't mind me asking, if this isn't your first time, why're you so nervous?"

She hesitated and said softly," Its complicated. I guess sledding means more to me than I thought it did and now I'm overthinking coming here."

He understood completely. "I know exactly what you mean. I'm kind of going through a similar thing."

She met his eyes and smiled fleetingly. Adam could sense her nerves but it was less obvious than before.

He continued," Well, in case you need assistance at any time, find me and let me know."

They'd reached the top and the cabin controller opened the gate. She thanked him and got off.

Anita was in a better shape than before. Talking to Adam had helped her to an extent. She still had half a mind to go home, but she'd made it this far; might as well do this. She grabbed a rental sled and prepared herself. All around her, toddlers and tweens were easily sledding down the hill. She could imagine them laughing at her, laughing at how she couldn't even sled, something literal children can do. She pictured her dad. Despite how distant he could be, sledding was the one activity he was passionate about.

She sat on the sled and went down the hill. The wind ripped across her face, she felt as if she was flying through the air, soaring and gliding. It was cold but she felt warm all over. She could almost feel her father's presence. In a moment's notice, the ride was over. She couldn't believe how scared she had been before. This was easy, and it was exhilarating! She climbed back up and got ready for round two.

Adam, on the other hand, wasn't doing so well. He had been counting on his muscle memory but apparently his muscles were hibernating. He couldn't even go down the hill without scraping his elbows or his knees. He was exhausted and he hadn't even made it down the hill even once. He glanced to his side and saw Anita. She was doing great, her long red hair was fluttering behind her and she seemed ecstatic. "Good for her", he mumbled. He mustered up the courage to go down once more.

Before he could go down one last time, he felt a tap on his shoulder. Anita was grinning enthusiastically and her entire face was lit up. She said," Hey, i just wanted to thank you for encouraging me."

"It was nothing, don't worry about it."

She noticed the blood stains on his pants over the knees.

"Are you having trouble sledding?", she asked earnestly.

He nodded. Now it was his turn to be timid and reserved. He felt slightly ashamed of being so confident before.

"Can I help you then? I owe you one."

He nodded.

She went over the basics with him again, bringing him back to when his eldest sibling did research about how to sled and explained it to them all. He was instructed to sit in the front and Anita sat in the back.

"Ready?", Anita asked.

He nodded fervently.

This time it felt like it should. It felt like how it had felt with all his siblings. He felt the same wind, the same intoxication that he had associated with sledding and his siblings.

Anita and Adam went down the slope together multiple times.

Soon it was getting dark and the hill was emptying out. Tired but satisfied, both Adam and Anita knew it was time to go home.

Adam turned to Anita and said," Well, I can't really thank you enough. I don't think I would've been able to go down the slope without your help."

"I was happy to help. Plus you're the reason I was able to have so much fun today in the first place. So, really, I should be the one thanking you."

"Hahah, again, it was nothing."

They entered the cabin on the gondola lift. It was silent until Adam cleared his throat and said," Hey would you wanna get dinner? Theres a diner nearby."

Anita beamed at Adam and said," Yeah, I'd love to."

January 22, 2021 14:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rose Cartwright
22:34 Jan 27, 2021

I really enjoyed reading this, it felt like you could really feel what the characters were feeling, very emotional. I also really liked the description 'His muscles were hibernating' so creative!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.