13 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Drama

I was shifting my apartment after starting a new company. I have to move within 10 days and have numerous things things to be settled down.

My landlady came to me a told me ," Why don't you stay here for few more months?"

" No , I can't. My office is really far from here."

I knew what she was trying to say. She was not only my landlady, I call her 'NOONA', but also my mother. Her children are settled in abroad and her husband died 2 years ago. She was alone in that huge apartment. I never saw her children with her except in the photograph beside her bed. I came to live there one month later after her husband death.

Many a times I asked her why his son or daughter didn't show up within last two years.

She replied, you can understand their situations better than me since you are also a working women. They don't even have time to spend with their children then how can they come here.

I was speechless because I also didn't meet my parents after my cousin's wedding three years ago.

I was like her own daughter. I shared my joys and tears with NOONA.

Since, I was working on the startup of my own company since last few years and finally, last year our company earned a profit of million dollars but I still have to do much more improvement in it, so, I don't have time to talk to my family. But, the funniest thing is that I never felt homesick because I have NOONA as my family with me.

She called me out for dinner. At that time , I was going through my old stuff from high school time. I had a dark past there that's why I never shared that part of my life to any one.

Suddenly, I got a call from an unknown number. At first, I hesitated, then answered the call.

"Hello! Is this Lucy?"

"Yep! Who are you?"

A young lady was on the other side.

"Didn't you recognized my voice?"

"Sorry! I beg your pardon. Can you please be more clear about your identity otherwise I have to hang up."

That lady said with a laugh in her tone," You will never change. This is Creata your classmate during high school. Actually, I have to inform you about our high school reunion which will be held on next Saturday and you will have to come without making any excuse."

"Listen Creata! I am sorry to say that I am really very sorry, I can't come. I have some engagement on that day which is really unavoidable for me."

"Lucy! We really want to see you after a long time. It will be incomplete without you. Please try to come. I beg you."

" I have to go. Byeee.."

I hanged up. Again a voice came, come down I am really hungry. That was NOONA.

I am coming.

I came down immediately. She served the food and we begin to eat.

"Is there something that bother you right now? You are awfully pale. I never saw you this much worried before."

" ( I didn't admit it.) No NOONA, you got a misconception. I am absolutely fine. ( I didn't dare to see in her eyes.) "

"You are lying. What's wrong? You can tell me."

I can't stop my tears. They are falling down like a small river. I just hated myself crying in front of anyone. But I can't control me at that time.

"NOONAAAA....!"

(My mouth can't emit a single word except this one.)

" How can I face him? Last time, when I had contact with him. He told me, "I can't be successful. I am a disgusting person to even be a friend of him. He will never want to see my face."

" Who is he?"

" He is the person I loved the most in my whole life. I still love him more than anything. I don't want to spoil his party by showing up."


"Lu.. ! If you don't want to go then don't. Don't be sad because someone don't understand your values,emotions and love. It doesn't mean that you are an undesirable person. You are the best. You are successful now. You have your house,car, company everything that a person need. And the most important thing everyone loves you now. Forget about the past."


"NOONA, I still love him."

" Listen Lu..! He doesn't deserve you. Don't wrack your time and love because of his worthless words. You really deserves best."



Her words really comfort me at that time.

" But Lu.., think about going to the reunion once again."

We exchanged our good nights.

At night I again got a call from my other classmate. This continued till the next Friday and I was always prepared with a new and better excuse.

Finally, I got a call from him. He said only one thing 'Please Come' that was enough for me to book my ticket.

I went there and saw him talking happily with his friend.

He saw me and waved.

I didn't replied so, he came next to me.

" By the way, you are looking gorgeous.


I am sorry for being so rude to you at that time."

I behaved like I never heard him.

I meet my other classmates and enjoyed the party. I left there next morning and went to my hometown to meet my parents as NOONA asked me to do so.

After spending two days with my parents, I came back to NOONA. I shifted to own apartment by leaving NOONA behind.

She stayed with me that day.

Next morning, when I woke up I was not able to find her. I went straight to kitchen and saw a note there on the fridge.

" LU..!

Breakfast is on the table. Don't skip it.

Find a good guy for yourself.

Visit me often.



NOONA."


I laughed silently. I washed myself and have breakfast. My driver was waiting outside. I thanked to God for keep me alive and stepped out. I went to my office for the first time from my new apartment.

I saw him working in my office.


October 01, 2020 15:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Creed .
02:06 Feb 16, 2021

You write so well, especially if English was your second language. I can't imagine having to learn English with all it's counteracting rules and odd quirks. Love the story.

Reply

Deepti Kumari
04:04 Feb 17, 2021

Thank you so much for your compliment. It made my day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deepti Kumari
04:05 Feb 17, 2021

Thank you so much for your compliment. It made my day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Gwyneria E
15:18 Oct 08, 2020

Hi Deepti. Great effort on your part to develop the theme of this prompt. While I understand from reading other comments and your responses, English isn't your first language, I think that you are very brave for submitting this just the same. The language will come with time if you keep writing! I also loved that at the end "he" was working in her office. What a great way to leave the reader at the end. Perfect ending! Within your story when writing conversation parts, if there are only 2 people for example, it's easy for the reader ...

Reply

Deepti Kumari
01:58 Oct 09, 2020

Thank you for your advice and suggestions. Your complement made my day. I will definitely keep it in my mind. I will work hard to improve my writing skill. Thank you for your time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
03:28 Oct 03, 2020

Why is NOONA all caps? You need to NAME Lucy's mysterious love. Then, rework this part " By the way, you are looking gorgeous. I am sorry for being so rude to you at that time." " I behaved like I never heard him." Should that last line be in quotes? Why did you make a line skip between gorgeous and I am sorry? The sentences go together. You put too much back story and too little on the reunion. Add more description- the way Lucy acts is inconsistent, she loves "him" and still gives him a cold brush off, despite his reasonable a...

Reply

Deepti Kumari
05:05 Oct 03, 2020

Thank you so much for your time and advice. I will definitely work on it. English is my second language that's why I have to face a little bit difficulties during writing. I will definitely improve my writing skill. I am working on it. Last but not least I want to thank you from bottom of my heart.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Himanshu Shekhar
16:03 Oct 01, 2020

Good one .keep it up

Reply

Deepti Kumari
16:08 Oct 01, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Himanshu Shekhar
16:44 Oct 01, 2020

No need to mention thank you. That's your hard labour.

Reply

Deepti Kumari
16:47 Oct 01, 2020

I tried my best. I thank you for your time and complement.

Reply

Himanshu Shekhar
06:13 Oct 02, 2020

Always there will be complement from my side for everyone who try new thing beside their topic .

Reply

Deepti Kumari
10:17 Oct 02, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.