Valentine's at Clementine's

Written in response to: Set your story in a confectionery shop.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Fantasy

Some said it was Clementine's illustrious waterfall of hair that made her special - a violet sheaf of waves that could both shimmer and deepen with the light, as it swept down her back. Perhaps, though, it was the glow that slicked her skin, seeming to radiate from her own endless source. The most common point of interest, however, was the confectionery Clementine ran in Star City, where the sky was illuminated by a neon-coloured galaxy whenever night fell.

Named after its ephemeral owner, Clementine's Confectionery sold candies and chocolates that could make Star City's wildest fantasies come true. Jellies that gave one the voice of a nightingale; lollipops that changed the eye colour any of twenty-seven shades; liquorice strings to induce super strength - Clementine's sold magical treats, just as the Le Bel empire down the road sold magical clothing. Like Marcus Le Bel and his favourite grey coat, said to give the wearer remarkable confidence; Clementine, too, had a favourite confection.

It was Valentine's Day and Clementine's resident candy maker had the tray of lucky caramels ready for her to pick from the second she walked in. It was a routine they had developed over the short time since opening, following it with religious habit, ensuring Clementine's had never had an unlucky day in business.

"Thank you, Aria," Clementine said in her effortlessly musical voice as she wiggled her fingers over the caramels in whimsical anticipation. Clementine had that way about her.

She picked one off the tray and popped it into her mouth, letting it melt delectably over her tongue.

"Mmmm," she mumbled, already feeling the sensation of invincible good luck and fortune rolling down her throat and into her body, and even out into her day.

"Clementine, there's something you should know," the doughy-cheeked Aria said nervously. "We ran short of cream. It was only a little short and I made do with the butter, but I know how precise the recipe for the lucky caramels is."

Clementine's eyes widened as she felt the caramel now uncomfortably sticky against the roof of her mouth. "It can't be! Every day since opening has been just perfect and it's all thanks to the right caramel recipe. You know what I'm like, Aria! I'm absent minded and a little silly at the best of times - there's no way I can run an entire store without a good dose of luck."

Although Aria knew Clementine was a bit of a flighty young woman - everyone knew it about her - she tentatively offered, "Maybe it won't matter that the recipe was adjusted slightly. "

"My goodness, I hope so," Clementine said in a panic. "Today is an important day. Marcus Le Bel has done me the favour of arranging an acquaintance of his to meet with us about expanding Clementine's beyond Star City. Luck can't let me down today of all days."

But it was not to be, because just after opening they had their first mishap to mark the unlucky day ahead.

Aria had already been precariously perched on the top rung of the ladder, sorting gumballs, when a long-legged spider leapt out from behind the shelf. Emitting a shriek, Aria wobbled, and down dropped the tray of gumballs. Clementine, sitting at the counter, trying - without any luck at all - to muddle her way through spreadsheets and figures for the meeting, saw it in slow motion. As the gumball tray tipped, so did the tray next to it - and the next one; until a tumbling of bon-bons, gums, and lemon drops took over the floor.

Aria and Clementine exchanged dark looks.

"I'm afraid the recipe didn't work after all, Clementine."

In a decision of impulse, as a preppy girl like her was wont to do, Clementine marched over to the great office of Marcus Le Bel.

Marcus's grand, sterile-looking office was a far throw from Clementine's Confectionery. Marcus had a hoard of stiff-looking staff, glass-topped desks, and walls as white as bleached sheets. The Le Bel empire wasn't that kind of fashion emporium. The coats they made, all invariably luxurious, had sharp cuts and did things like imbue excellent boardroom presentation skills, or firm negotiating abilities. Marcus himself had the morning ritual of donning his grey coat of confidence, much like Clementine and her daily lucky caramel.

He was looking rather stern indeed when the vibrant Clementine waltzed in.

"Clementine, what are you doing here?" he remarked in true surprise. "You've never come without arranging first."

They didn't have that kind of relationship yet. They'd met when Clementine was new in the business and Marcus had stopped by to make up a chocolate hamper for secretary's day. A vivid and optimistic thing, Clementine had been impossible not to take a liking to. Marcus, too, with his large empire and astute ability to govern it in a way Clementine had yet to learn, had been an object of admiration for her. And so, a tentative friendship had formed, but a well-bordered one that rarely extended past discussions about the shop and the emporium, and not without prior planning through Marcus's secretary.

"I have to speak to you," Clementine said earnestly.

"Oh?" Marcus inquired with an uncharacteristically keen curiosity, noticing how her violet hair looked particularly bright on this Valentine's Day.

"It's about the meeting you've set up for me."

"You've come to speak about work?" he asked cautiously.

"Yes. The meeting - I can't do it. The lucky caramels didn't come out right today and everything is going to go wrong. What if they ask me about the numbers? I'm terrible at those!"

"Clementine, that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard," Marcus said, suddenly very flatly.

"Will you possibly be able to rearrange it for me? We can do it tomorrow when we've had time to do a fresh batch of caramels."

"No."

"Then maybe you can help me look over the numbers now? So that I'll be prepared."

Marcus held out. "You are prepared. Clementine, I've got a few things to do now, if you don't mind. All the best for your meeting."

Despite her gracious virtue, Clementine left with stinging disappointment. How could Marcus have refused to help her on such an important day!

The confectionery, for the rest of that morning, remained a dull place, for all its bright candied walls. Few customers trickled in and a burning batch of brownies smoked up the kitchen.

When the meeting rolled around in the afternoon, Clementine had no choice but to paste on her usual optimistic smile and vow to do the best she could with what little she did know.

When it was over she was not high-spirited, of course, because no part of it had gone according to plan; but somewhat satisfied because she'd given it a try without the surety of luck on her side nonetheless.

"I'm proud of you, Clementine," Aria said as she left for the day. "You handled the unpredictable day with good candour, like a true business owner should. Happy Valentine's Day."

Clementine had almost forgotten about it. She waved Aria off into the dark and looked up at the neon galaxy above Star City. Even though she didn't have a valentine to spend the beautiful night with, she had fallen in love with her own surprising resilience.

Contentedly ambling back into the shop, she was surprised to hear the door jingle behind her.

"Marcus!" she said in surprise at the orderly-looking man in her beautifully chaotic candy store, still with stray gumballs rolling around on the floor.

"Clementine, I've got news for you," he said, and his austerity was broken by a rare smile. “They loved you. They called me as soon as the meeting was done. They were really impressed by your grasp on growing the confectionery. Nothing would make them happier than to partner with you on expanding Clementine’s beyond Star City.”

Clementine whooped. “It’s a miracle!”

“It’s not a miracle. It’s all you. You don’t need the help of any lucky caramels. Truthfully, you haven’t even needed my help for a long time now. No, Clementine, all you need is to trust yourself more. You’ve got this.”

Clementine dipped her head in appreciation. “Is that why you were upset with me this morning? Because I didn’t believe I could handle this on my own?”

“Only part of the reason,” Marcus admitted sheepishly. He suddenly shrugged his signature grey coat off, quite hastily, as if he took his time to do it he might change his mind halfway through. Clementine watched curiously as the air of interminable power dissipated around him, and he was suddenly a very human man standing before her. “I’d be a hypocrite if I said this to you while wearing this coat, right after I’d lectured you about your lucky caramels.”

“Said what to me?”

Marcus was quite evidently nervous, but he pushed through with the same level of surety he’d encouraged Clementine to have of herself. “I was upset this morning because you’d only come to see me about work. After all this time, I had really hoped it would be about something else. Being Valentine’s Day, you know …” he trailed off with a weak smile. “I’d just gotten my hopes up, that’s all.”

Clementine laughed with youthful openness, and for Marcus she become brighter than all of Star City in that moment. “Will you be my valentine?”

And how very lucky, at the end of it all, that two people who were willing to grow should find their way to each other.

February 13, 2022 16:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.