22 comments

Horror

Perfection was something Cynthia never thought of before, those kinds of thoughts interfered with art and the purpose of art wasn't to chase perfection but to express oneself.

She was a self-taught artist, who had initially started painting as a hobby but had turned it into a profession over time. She had painted many portraits and there was not a single customer who was dissatisfied with her work.

But as she sat down to paint her portrait, thoughts of perfection started disturbing her, she tried to ward them of but they just wouldn't go away. Every brush stroke felt like a test, she didn't think of herself as perfect, nor even beautiful but still a part of her felt that her portrait should be perfect.

She mixed different colors, unsure whether it would fit her skintone, as she mixed, her mind raced trying to decipher what shade her skin was. She had looked at herself several times in the mirror before and was sure she knew how she looked but as she started to paint, she felt she wasn't getting her skintone right.

Then there was the question of her lips, she felt she was drawing them too thick and her lips were thinner, she went through her selfies in her phone and quickly adjusted her portrait to show thinner lips.

Her hair wasn't as black as she had thought and perhaps it was more brown than black and her eyes were not as big. She continued to paint, trying to brush away those thoughts but they kept bothering her.

She finally threw her paintbrush in frustration, her portrait was almost complete but it didn't satisfy her, it was far from perfect and she felt it looked nothing like her, she wanted to throw it away but something inside her stopped her.

She got up to get a glass of water, as she drank, she felt her lips were not as thin as she had assumed and she should have drawn them a little thicker but she was exhausted and didn't want to redo her portrait.

She sighed as she remembered there were other commissioned portraits to draw. She decided to do them first but as she tried to concentrate on her work, her mind wandered off to her own portrait and she felt she had horribly messed it up and maybe she wasn't as good as she thought.

The thought of being not good enough tormented her even as she slept, she woke up, unable to shake it off. She thought of redoing her portrait as she woke up the next morning.

She decided to skip breakfast and complete her portrait first but she just couldn't focus on it, as she drew her features, she felt she wasn't getting it right, maybe she shouldn't have drawn herself as smiling.

She didn't smile like that, she had drawn her smile incorrectly and she looked awkward, she was humiliating herself by drawing herself like that. She tried to adjust it but ended up spoiling it more.

She put down her paintbrush in frustration, she wasn't getting anything right and had begun to doubt her ability as an artist, did she really have what it took to be an artist?, maybe not.

She looked at herself in the mirror, trying to examine her facial features more closely but no matter how hard she looked, she felt she couldn't draw herself correctly. Her mind taunted her that she wasn't perfect but she knew deep within her, that even if she wasn't perfect, her portrait had to be perfect.

The search for perfection weighed her down, the more she searched for it, the more it eluded her, it felt as if it was in her grasp but yet so far. She would come close to finishing her portrait but as she looked at it more closely, she could see all the flaws in it and would sit down to draw it again.

The whole thing exhausted her, she couldn't focus on her work nor on anything else, everything seemed unimportant infront of the great task that was infront of her. As an artist she should be able to paint her portrait perfectly but she failed to reach that level everytime.

She wasn't getting her eyebrows right, they were too far apart and too curved, they made her look ugly and she didn't want to look ugly in her portrait. She readjusted it until she felt it was perfect but then her hair started bothering her.

It wasn't this straight but it wasn't curly either, it was wavy and she was failing to get it right but when she tried to correct it, she ended up making it look too straight, she didn't want to redo her portrait but knew there was no other way and her portrait was beyond fixing.

Her back hurt, she could feel a dull pain in her fingers and her head throbbed, she was tired of it all but her mind wouldn't let her rest. She wanted to take a break and that thought bothered her as she painted, she ended up spilling the paint all over herself and the portrait.

Her dress along with her portrait was spoiled and it was her clumsiness to blame for the ruin, she began to cry, she was mentally and physically exhausted and she felt she was a horrible artist, it was luck that made her achieve the fame she got.

She changed her dress and decided to take a break, maybe she was stressing out too much over a silly portrait and that was the reason she wasn't getting it right. As she lay down to sleep, she found herself swarmed with thoughts of her portrait, she just couldn't rest.

So she got up and tried to paint again, she finally got it right and completed the portrait to her liking but as she looked at it, she felt something was missing, maybe she should have drawn some flowers in her hair or added a green eyeshadow or given some color to her lips rather than coloring it pink.

Were her lips this pink or lighter?, maybe she wasn't getting the color right and it would have been better if she gave her lips another color. So she painted them red, she felt the shade suited her complexion. She couldn't help but admire the portrait, it was perfect and as she took a photo of it, she felt a sense of pride.

She thought of posting it but as she was about to post, she felt something was missing, maybe brown suited her lips more and she should have added flowers in her hair and added a floral background too, she decided to keep this portrait aside and draw another one.

As she finished the second portrait and compared it to the first one, she couldn't shake off the thought that something was missing and even though her back hurt as if someone was stabbing her constantly, she sat down to paint again.

November 24, 2023 07:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Rose Lind
20:47 Jan 04, 2024

Nice to go through a what seemed real monologue of an artist doing a self portrait. I would have liked have seen the palette using real names of colours, especially how you mix the colours for skin colour. I was told a small dab of ultramarine blue for my skin colour. I simply don't do portraits. Years ago, I was considering doing portrait consignments. I found a whole instructional manual on portraits at local library. Admittedly my head spun at the laborious long colour charts, paint colours I had never heard of, most likely unavailable ...

Reply

Sarah Saleem
09:18 Jan 18, 2024

Thanks!✨️ I am not into painting so I didn't add the mixing of colors in the palette but I like your suggestion and will think about how I can add Ultramarine blue and the emotions it evokes to my stories.

Reply

Rose Lind
20:39 Jan 18, 2024

Nice. Well you did well in the story convincing me you had an artist background, because you summed up the perfectionism 🐕💓

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:01 Dec 26, 2023

Ah, we all know the feeling. Sometimes it's hard to remember that perfection is something we can never reach. You can get to thinking, 'maybe this one more tweak, this one change of word -?' then again, and again. Never ending, chasing perfection is the definition or artistic horror! Great job! :)

Reply

Sarah Saleem
14:13 Jan 03, 2024

Thanks!✨️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrea Corwin
02:44 Dec 16, 2023

Wow, this painter must have OCD or something. Total perfectionist filled with self-doubt. You covered it very well in this story, all the parts of her face! Good job, I really liked it!!

Reply

Sarah Saleem
08:07 Dec 19, 2023

Thanks!✨️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
03:44 Dec 03, 2023

Great story. I really felt the anxiety of the artist coming through. Well done!

Reply

Sarah Saleem
16:59 Dec 14, 2023

Thanks!✨️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:16 Nov 30, 2023

What a journey chasing perfection! It's never in a mirror or in self-art. Good luck to your MC. Thanks for liking my mirror story. Thanks for liking my 'Words'

Reply

Sarah Saleem
18:17 Dec 02, 2023

Thanks and welcome!✨️🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
15:26 Nov 27, 2023

Hi Sarah, I bet there are a lot of artist on here who can relate to the need for perfection in their work and getting stuck in the chair facing the "never quite right" room. It's a hard room to escape, especially with a critical inner voice. She keeps going and going to the point that her body begins aching and yet she can't seem to find satisfaction. It is quite the horror for every artist. Good Job this week!

Reply

Sarah Saleem
18:22 Nov 30, 2023

Thanks!✨️ Sometimes self-doubt is more scary than ghosts and monsters.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
17:56 Nov 25, 2023

Ouch! That inner voice was so critical. I’m sure we’ve all got one. No sooner had she felt she’d got somewhere it was back to haunt and taunt her. It sounded like she was a good artist too. So many people will be able to identify with this.

Reply

Sarah Saleem
11:06 Nov 26, 2023

Thanks!✨️ When doubt creeps in, even a good artist feels worthless.

Reply

Helen A Smith
11:39 Nov 26, 2023

A little bit of doubt is ok, but not too much and not every time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:55 Nov 24, 2023

Loved this story, Sarah. I did one to this prompt as well. Quite different because the painting already hung in a gallery. But the same thing. The artist hadn't got the smile right. I wondered if this really goes through an artists mind while painting. I guess it is true, from your story and the other comment. I can sketch but otherwise know little about art. That said, my home has mostly real oil paintings or amazing photos on the walls. To write my story I did some research and was amazed.

Reply

Sarah Saleem
11:07 Nov 26, 2023

Thanks!✨️ I will give your story a read too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Downs
20:25 Nov 24, 2023

Whoa! Love the story. As a photographer first and a writer (so to speak) second, I am totally feeling all aspects of this piece. I've sat in front of the photo piece, tweaking light, shadow, color, etc for far too long until my partner stops me to say, it's perfect. I love the inner voice that haunts every artist no matter what the medium. I'm here reading your work because you sent me a like on my first story and wanted to say Thank you.

Reply

Sarah Saleem
11:08 Nov 26, 2023

Thanks!✨️ I wanted to highlight how chasing perfection can make an artist insecure about their work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jo Neels
14:05 Nov 24, 2023

Hi Sarah! I liked your story! I recognized the anxiety, the worry, the obsessive thoughts of the character in the story. It was interesting to follow her thought process, and to see her be so critical of herself that she sabotages herself at every turn. I bet many people recognize this kind of mental monologue, especially artists.

Reply

Sarah Saleem
11:10 Nov 26, 2023

Thanks!✨️ Perfection can never be achieved according to an artist but they still keep chasing it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.