2 comments

Fiction Happy

It was late afternoon and the formal living area was ready. Shona, stood back and surveyed her handiwork. Red ribbons intertwined with white heart printed ones, hanging from both the chandelier and window.  In the adjoining alcove, the dining room table was set in such a way that the classiest restaurant in town would approve. The best glassware, china and cutlery sets, placed beside her favourite table mats hardly used since she and Andrew were married; and cloth napkins, rather than the usual paper variety, graced the table. Lastly the candles in the centre, once again rarely used.

As a general rule, Shona and Andrew did not go in for hype and fizz much, but it was a significant date; rarely celebrated or even considered, for, love was more than red hearts; except this year. This year there was a COVID covering the world over. Restaurants were closed, masks were worn instead of smiles except in the home.   Shona thought that most likely the “terrible twins” a name given in affection, would be hovering, she would have to let them see her handiwork. She smiled; there was a surreal feeling about life these days, but she still treasured Andrew and his kids.

The idea all started the previous week when an eye-catching advertisement displayed in the local shopping mall caught her attention:

“It’s not just any Sunday. It’s Valentine’s Day” and the seed of surprise was planted.  After this prompt, Shona was determined to do something different, to say thanks to the man who eight years previously had won her heart.  Andrew was her best friend, confidant, as well as the best husband in the world.  She had a readymade family when they married; twins Ella and Rory. Shona had watched them grow through their teenage years, and had a good rapport with them both; it was time to show appreciation.

Her reverie was curtailed by Rory’s entrance into the room.

“Hey, Shona I’ve just thought of something. Ella and I can’t just disappear tonight though we had planned to, you know, get a pizza and sit at the park or something…”

“And now you will have dinner with us…” said Shona decisively

“No, just a secondo, Stepmother.”

“Gee, the full title, it must be serious.” laughed Shona “so, what have you got up your sleeve as it were?”

“We are going to eat in the kitchen after we serve you two your meal. Are we not Els?”

Ella, who had entered the room was standing beside him, nodding her head.

“How boring for you,” said Shona

 “Not a bit Shona,” said Ella “we get to taste your dinner because we noticed you bought enough for four of us and are on hand to help you relax.”

“Okay you win I guess I’d better move to the kitchen; the lamb won’t roast on its own.”

“That’s right” agreed Ella “that is why it is in the oven already and Dad has just rung to say he is on his way home. No cooking tonight”

“Since when did you two become so bossy?” Shona teased “okay again, you win.”

Andrew Gow was indeed on his way home from an unavoidable meeting. He saw the same advertisement, that Shona saw that week, as he drove through the main street. Yes, it was time to show his appreciation to Shona his beautiful wife. She was always gorgeous: but thought so little of herself initially, that it took a great deal of persuasion to convince her that he thought her good enough to take on the titles of Wife and Stepmother. Neither Ella nor Rory complained about Shona; they loved her even if at times she laid down the law with his support. Yes, he was a lucky man. 

He stopped off at the florist's. The young lass was about to close but beamed when he bought an enormous rose arrangement and some chocolates. He paid cash and turned to leave.

“Sir you have paid too much.” the lass said in alarm

“No, I haven’t love. You are struggling because of COVID, like most business owners. If it makes you happy, I will take this small plant also.” replied Andrew knowing he paid more than the plant was worth, but he was most likely one of the few who entered the premises.

“Thank you, Mr Gow, I know you are in business too.”

“Andrew, please!  Meanwhile, my wife will love these. Good night.”

Ella opened the front door, and not knowing what had been planned Andrew placed his finger at his mouth indicating to keep quiet. He sniffed the air appreciatively. Roast lamb one of his favourites.

“Hi, darling I’m finally home.” Andrew entered the room and looked round in appreciation.

“Happy Valentine’s Day my darling,” he said handing Shona the flowers and kissing her cheek

“And to you my dearest love,” said Shona, as she took the roses and in exchange, handed Andrew a large wrapped box.

He laughed as he opened it.

“Oh, my favourite lemonade,” he said, “and this year the whole family can share.”

Once the first course was served all around Rory glanced at the clock

“I wonder what they are doing?”

“Giggling by the sound of it,” said Ella, as she put the last strawberry on the heart-shaped sponge that she had made for the occasion.

“The roast was yum Els.” said Rory “I hope there is more cake.”

“It’s okay there is plenty and Dad insisted we have sweets with them.”

At the sound of their steps, Andrew in a flippant mood opened the door and yelled

“Well, kids, that was great, when is pudding?”

“Coming up” they chorused 

Andrew, smiling, walked over to the sideboard. Picking up his favourite photograph, taken on their wedding day he brought it back to the table

“You were a bonny bride Shona.” he said as he showed her. “and you two looked like perfect children,”

“And yet we were not always so,” said Ella reflectively staring at two children aged ten at the time.

“That is true,” said Shona “perfection is a standard no one can reach.  We are not without fault or frailty, but love heals and sustains. This is a family truly blessed with love, it goes much deeper than red hearts on Valentine’s Day, and I love you all.”,  

“On that happy note,” said Andrew looking at his wife with pride “When do we get to demolish the cake?

February 19, 2021 05:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Valerie June
17:06 Feb 20, 2021

Awww, this was so sweet Claire. This story truly demonstrates that love flourishes even with this COVID monster raging havoc in the world. It had just the right amount of humor and it was a very enjoyable read.

Reply

Claire Tennant
04:00 Feb 21, 2021

Thank you Jose I am glad you enjoyed it. Lovebirds of any age are easy to write about!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.