2 comments

Contemporary Fiction Friendship

TWO MASTERS

Immediately Mr. Jerry landed back home from Gabon; where he was away for three (3) months in his business cause; things became unbearable and unpleasant as he may describe: When he discovered that his apprentice was now the latest philanthropic personnel in Garki Abuja. (Wondering restlessly).

He was shocked to hear that John the little one he nurtured in the business of distributing and marketing agricultural raw materials to the various agro-allied firms throughout the surrounding states within the capital territory, was now controlling his own distribution company (John’s Sales Nigeria Limited). Thus even donates millions to the church, less privileged and to some local farmers who are not yet regarded. This angered him (Mr. Jerry) because he was no longer the choice of retailers and mini-consumers.

“What then should I do?” he asked himself.

“I will crush him and put him in the casket where he rightfully belongs… he answers his sayings: and concluded all he would do in a twinkle of an eye. Meaning, he was out to eliminate anyone who will stand at his way: for he has silenced many in their hundreds, who had once risen in contention with him. (He smiled bossly to himself)

This is my game… he rested his mind.

Two days later, it was broadcasted live on the National Television Authority (NTA) that John who was once his trainee, and now a major counterpart, narrowly escaped what I described to be a smooth, and a God saving death. Yes, the former handsomely paid some gunmen to bullet him down. But there was a countered operation by John’s secrete men, who quickly moved him to an undisclosed wilderness, after which he was safely returned home. Although there were lots of gun blows between the two groups, which left the later (John) injured on his forehead. (What an interesting war between two great dudes)

“The game has just begun”: John says while receiving treatment from his private professional doctor right in his room. (That was – after few days of regaining consciousness from an unexpected attack). For he already knew the stinky brain behind such. (Of course, that’s not a big deal: I’m strongly at alarmed on matters quite related to this game)… he wondered in his mind.

At last, the doctor, Mr. Charles, who concluded that the pains and scratches would heal quickly, maintained that he should give himself few days of rest before moving ahead.

“No problem doctor”: Mr. Johns says, “all is well but now I must tell the fisherman (furiously) that the fish is no longer a fish but now a shark”. (Closing and opening his eyes with a great wish to revenge as soon as possible).

“Anyway, no problem you can go; (coming back to his usually cool disposition) for my secretary will transfer into your account fifty dollars ($50).

“Grateful, boss. I will just be on my way”. The doctor Mr. Charles departed appreciatively in a doctorial smile. (Probably happy with the huge payment).

Two days later, Mr. John’s men succeeded in large scale destruction of Mr. Jerry’s consignment. Not just that, they burnt four trailers responsible for the distribution and adopted his drivers and twenty-five (25) workers. (an eye for an eye)

Mr. Jerry on the other hand; (retaliatively) who saw this as a challenge, also ordered his men to raid his enemy’s warehouse and do the same. This indeed was executed. (The bigger boss indeed).

Amazingly, they both doesn’t want to involve a third party into this, since they classified themselves as the big dudes in town (of course). So, both Mr. Jerry and Mr. John sent their families abroad: to the U.S. and Britain respectively, as it was a very urgent decision: in fear of losing a loved one. (For God’s sake, who knows what would have happened?)

“Well, to cut everything short, I (hitting his hands on his chest) Reverend Father Magnificent noticed the crackdown between this two fellows, and invited them here before the Church Council to settle the topic.

I rest my plight to God’s glory.

(Rev. Father Magnificent who humbly sat before the congregation of Peace Committee, now handed over the case to them with two notable figures: Cardinal John and Monsignor Christopher)…

The Cardinal

He signs for a moment as if catching inspirations on what to do, and finally speaks out.

“Thank you son”; Father Magnificent for watching over the sheep of your heavenly father” (spreading his hands in his priestly mode, to Father Magnificent and also in salutation to present peace members).

Monsignor Christopher

He agrees, by religiously shaking his head and raising hands up thanking Jesus (Lord)

The Cardinal

Well, I sincerely don’t have much to say; and I don’t want to put blames on anyone’s head because I strongly believe that for every chaos, there is always a divine wisdom designed, to intervene.

He thus stoop up holding the both at his hands (right and left) respectively to the alter. And as they go close, Father Magnificent ran to draw a cotton.

And as it was open, everyone caught the appearance of a beautiful dining table with two beautiful chairs.

The Cardinal who is very respected in the church to be a man full of God’s wisdom encouraged them to seat and dine… as he said.

“Please my children (he paused a little while)… he continues “No human being is a judge”, he addresses everyone. No one is perfect. And I don’t know what could be the necessary cause of violence between Mr. Jerry and Mr. John; but whatever it may be let the sons of God enjoy unto His glory whatever meal they find on the table, (ushering them in into the dining table) using it as a means to spell out their differences… he ends his speech and respectedly, he moves out from the church premises to execute another pressing assignment – hoping in good faith, that the present avenue that was created, will go a long way in restoring a broken ties.

The peace committee starts to leaves quietly, having behind the two masters who were finally seen from a distance sitting down for a meal.

By Ofurum-Raymond

June 29, 2021 17:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Valery Rubin
17:09 Jul 09, 2021

Good story. The chosen topic is interesting. Dialogue and plot - it's all there. Further luck to the author!

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:00 Jul 05, 2021

Great

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.