WHEN LION LOST HIS ROAR: A CAUTIONARY TALE

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a cautionary fable about someone who always lies.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

The news traveled through the forest. It was time for the animals of the forest to come together and elect a new Great Leader, one who would be strong and brave and lead them wisely. There were two candidates: Lion who was known far and wide for his loud roar, blonde mane, and physical strength. His opponent was Owl who was known for her practice of working hard and her wisdom. As sometimes happens in elections, it turned out that Lion’s roar, blonde mane, and physical strength meant more to the animals than Owl’s wisdom and work ethic. So, Lion was elected Great Leader.

At first, he roared and tossed his blonde mane with pride at the results, but little by little, the actual results didn’t matter so much to him. Because he wanted to appear as a much more popular leader, he began to lie about all kinds of things, which didn’t amount to much at first. However, over time to maintain the image of himself that he liked, the lies became more frequent and steadily bigger. Popularity and loyalty to him became Lion’s daily obsessions. Lying to obtain these things and maintain power became habitual and the lies grew and grew until basically he lied all of the time. Loyalty to him meant supporters were not allowed to question anything. He ordered those loyal to him to do heinous crimes against the smaller animals in the forest. He praised his loyalists and mocked and spoke scathingly about all the other forest animals.

Then one day, in the winter of the last year of Lion’s term as Great Leader, a deadly disease entered the forest. Lion tried to ignore the disease, and roar it away, but it didn’t work. At first this strange disease seemed to only afflict the older animals in the forest. Lion callously thought, “Oh well, the elders have had their time. Let them die. That will mean more of the riches of life in the forest me and my loyal friends.” Such selfish thoughts often occupied Lion’s days, and even translated into actions he took. He only truly cared about retaining power as Great Leader and just focused on getting re-elected in the next election for Great leader coming up in the fall.

Lion began a campaign of lies roaring  that if he lost the election that would mean that his opponent whomever it was must’ve cheated. He wanted to have the animals of the forest doubt their own observations of things happening in the forest. He used his roar and lies in an attempt to distract the animals from the steady spread of the strange disease to many species of all ages. The animals were now calling the strange disease by the name “The Plague.” While the death toll mounted daily, Lion continued lying and roaring, “It will go away when it gets hotter.” The Plague didn’t go away.

Still, some of the animals held onto their belief in the Great Leader and his lies, which they did not recognize as lies. These animals were completely captured in the web of Lion’s lies. They closed their eyes and stopped up their ears so as not to see or hear information that was opposite of what the Great Leader roared.

Other animals who were not caught in Lion’s web of lies worried and talked amongst themselves. Meanwhile, throughout the summer, as the deaths mounted, no one knew what do. Forest animals continued to sicken and die in the tens of thousands. Fear ruled. Lion continued to roar his lies to all the forest animals.

Time passed and as The Plague continued to ravage the animals of the forest, the next election drew nearer. Giraffe, a known truth teller and compassionate elder of the forest, emerged as Lion’s opponent to be the next Great Leader. Giraffe began to speak publicly about Lion’s lies about The Plague and failings to protect and care for all the animals. Giraffe, who had spoken to the animals in past years had never lied, so the animals began listening closer. Giraffe promised to protect and care for all. He was steady and calm and spoke Truth boldly. Lion roared louder and louder, and his lies got bigger and bigger.

Election Day arrived. Animals of all species voted, many more voted than in previous elections, even though they had to wait in long lines to do so. Votes were counted and recounted and recounted again, just to make sure that the numbers were correct. When all the counting and recounting was done, Giraffe was declared the new, fairly elected Great Leader.

Lion was furious. He began roaring far and wide that Giraffe had cheated, that the election was not fair and that he, not Giraffe, had won. Every chance he got to speak to any gathering of the animals, no matter who or where, he spread the Big Lie that he was the true winner. He urged all his loyal supporters to stop the steal of his win. Despite his roaring, Lion never had any evidence to support his Big Lie.

One day, at a rally in the center of the forest, he incited his supporters to engage in a violent insurrection. He urged them to halt the official ceremony taking place nearby using any means necessary to disrupt the ceremony and "stop the steal" that would make Giraffe the Great Leader. Lion’s attempt failed.

Giraffe was installed legally as the Great leader. He immediately went to work telling the Truth to all the animals about The Plague. He explained his plan to bring it under control and save lives. Desperate for help, more animals started to listen to Giraffe and hope.

Meanwhile, Lion continued to roar that he was cheated and the election had been stolen from him. However, his audiences were shrinking in size.

Less of the animals listened to Lion because more of them were listening to the Truth Giraffe was telling them. Also, they were benefitting from the help emerging from his truthful information and his consistent actions to help all the animals, young and old, large and small, no matter what. For instance, on Day One of his term, Giraffe ordered the wisest among his advisors to seek  a way to heal the sick. The advisors worked tirelessly to do so. All these efforts showed success. The death toll was steadily dropping. The Plague was losing its grip on the forest. The animals began whispering amongst themselves about the Great Heart shown by Giraffe, who remained humble, steady, and truthful.

Time passed. Lion roared his Big Lie about the election being stolen louder and louder, but each day his roaring drove more of the animals away from him. Lion was trapped in his own Big Lie, so he roared even louder and longer than ever!

Then, one day, Lion opened his mouth to roar and proclaim his Big Lie yet again, and no sound came forth from his mouth. Not a roar, not even a whimper. He had literally silenced himself. He had so damaged his throat and roar-maker with so many lies that he had completely lost his roar. The few animals who had stayed loyal to him, now deserted him. They reasoned that a lion who cannot roar is not a true lion and cannot lead.

And so, Lion was alone with only his Big Lie for company and that brought him no comfort, only excruciating pain and shame which he carried all the rest of his days. His roar never returned. His lie-based power never returned. He died alone in the forest and no one mourned his passing, except for Giraffe who showed his Great Heart when he alone mourned Lion’s death.

While he lived, Giraffe became known far and wide as Giraffe of Great Heart, because of his love and empathy for all the animals of the forest, even those who had been foolish and believed Lion’s lies. Giraffe served well. He was elected to a second term and then retired. He lived long and continued to show compassion for all the animals of the forest long after he left office. He always was guided by Truth, spoke Truth, acted in Truth, and lived Truth. After his death, he became celebrated as Giraffe Truth Teller of Great Heart, and his tale lives on to this day.

Moral: Truth is more powerful than Lies. In the end, Truth will prevail no matter how big the lie, especially when Truth is accompanied by Great Heart.

April 09, 2021 21:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.