Super Rat

Submitted into Contest #41 in response to: Write about an animal who causes a huge problem.... view prompt

3 comments

General

Nobel Peace Prize winners Dr. Holloway and Dr. Miller were surprised to see an empty tank when they walked into the experimentation lab. What had once been a maze inside of it was now a haphazard pile of little walls and smeared cheese. 


"Dr. Miller?"


"Yes, Dr. Holloway?"


Holloway cleared her throat. "You, um, didn't let the super-rat go, did you?"


"No, I did not." He took a deep breath, as prescribed by his therapist. "Did you?"


"Nope." Holloway watched her colleague's breaths shortening. The clipboard she was holding was slowly slipping through her sweaty hands. “I believe it escaped.”


Miller finally snapped. “Oh really, Holloway?! Is that your hypothesis? Of course the super-rat escaped! It’s a super-rat!” He stormed over to the empty tank, tossing through the deconstructed maze hoping that maybe the rat could be hiding under the debris. 


“If I may, Dr. Miller,” Holloway casually dodged a chunk of cheese. “I suggest we check the cameras. We can at least determine when the rat escaped and even where it could be heading.”


The hulk of a man began to calm down. “Yes, cameras. Right.” He moved past her into the hallway. There was an intern carrying a rack of test tubes containing either saline solution or sulfuric acid. The labels weren’t very clear. Dr. Miller knocked him to the ground spilling the contents all over his lab coat. “Excuse me!” He continued past the slumped over intern. Dr. Holloway began to help him. 


Holloway cleared her throat again. “You haven’t happened to see any rats, have you?” 


Down in the security office Miller found Bill sleeping with bits of kebab decorating his polo shirt. Miller shook the slumbering guard awake. “Bill. Bill! How long have you been sleeping?”


With a quick snort the man’s eyes popped open. “Oh, Dr. Miller. I was just closing my eyes for, uh, just a bit.”


“Bill, we can discuss your horrendous lying capabilities later. I need you to check the tape for lab 1-A.” Miller's eyes scanned the wall of screens. In the top right corner the screen labeled 1-A projected nothing but static. “The tape, Bill, the tape!”


“Okay, stop yelling please!” Bill slowly clacked through the security system and pulled up the file for 1-A. “Here it is.”


“Start the tape at 2 o’clock.” Miller watched himself appear on screen in front of the tank, where the super-rat stood up against the glass. They had been in a staring contest for quite some time. Eventually Miller strode out of the room to begin his lunch break.


“Do you smell something burning?” Bill asked.


“Shush!” Miller continued to watch the monitor. The super-rat turned her attention to the camera. Bill fast forwarded. For over 10 minutes it stared into the lense unflinching. 


“That’s some ‘Paranormal Activity’ shit right there.” Bill yawned. Holloway entered the room gasping for breath. She had spent a good amount of time convincing her colleagues not to panic in regards to the super-rat’s escape. Now that she was caught up, she entered full panic-mode. Her thoughts were interrupted when she saw the state of Miller’s lab coat. “Um, Dr. Miller? Your coat…” She pointed down to what remained of the melted fabric falling onto the floor. 


“Wait, look!” Miller pointed to the 1-A monitor. The super-rat walked to a corner of the tank and pulled out a bobby pin fashioned into a makeshift lock-pick. After a minute of tinkering with the latch, the metal lock fell onto the floor. The super-rat slowly pushed open the metal grate, dropped to the floor, and scuttled out of view. 


“How did it get that bobby-pin?” Holloway wondered? 


“It doesn’t matter right now.” Miller said. “We need to find it now. Instate a code red. All labs will be under lock-down until further notice. For all we know it’s already halfway across the building.” He looked down at his lab coat that was steaming on the floor. “Bill, send an announcement. Let everyone know that--” his words were cut short when he saw whiskers brush against the camera lens. The super-rat peered into the lens with her beady black eyes. Holloway could swear it was looking at all of them. The feed cut to static. 


---


The security locker room descended into chaos. There hadn’t been a code red in years, and none of the guards could remember proper procedure. Larry, an 87 year old veteran, was the only one to maintain a sense of professionalism. Inside of the metal cabinet tucked against the corner was a tangled mess of wires charging the stun-guns issued by their department. There was one rule among the guards; don’t touch Larry’s stun-gun. Everyone knew which one was his due to the Barbie sticker he pasted to the side. Some say it was his granddaughter’s idea, others think it was his own. Either way, no one touched the Barbie gun.


“Alright men, listen up!” Bill assembled the guards in his office. Many were still getting all of their gear ready. All except Larry, of course. “We’ve got a code red on our hands. That means, uh…” he checked the manual for reference, “the entire laboratory will be on lock-down until the hazard is cleared. This includes all facilities, including testing labs, offices, and break-rooms.” A collective groan came from the crowd. “Now, now, I know this is a lot to handle. Don’t worry. From my understanding, the egg-heads are going to take care of this. All we need to do is look busy.”


A small man with glasses raised his hand. “Bill?” he asked, “What exactly are we dealing with?”


Bill took a deep breath and crossed his hands. “A super-rat.”


“A what?”


“A super. Rat.” Bill enjoyed his position of authority when he could actually use it. “Some of the scientists made a rat that apparently has all the intelligence of a human and then some. I have been informed that it escaped.” Murmurs rose from the crowd.


“Is it dangerous?” the man with glasses asked.


“I don’t know.”


“How smart is it?” asked another man.


“I don’t know.” 


“Well what do we know?” 


“We know that it escaped around 2 o’clock from lab 1-A. That’s about it. I would suggest we lock the doors and check any small crevices that it could crawl into. Have I made myself clear?”


The guards let out a disorganized ‘yessir’. Larry chuckled. 


“Oh and by the way, watch out for the hallway outside of lab 1-A. Someone spilled some acid or something.”


---


Gabe made his way towards the break-room. He jiggled the handle. This one’s locked, too? If he wasn’t already anxious before, now he was on the border of a full on panic attack. Alarms around him were blaring. Everyone around him scrambled to a safe zone. Having started only a few days ago, Gabe hadn’t had the time to make friends yet, and was left alone. What am I going to do? He moved over to the next room. Also locked. The alarms were deafening. Super-rat? What did Dr. Holloway mean? He was out of breath by the time he reached the back exit. Maybe he could try and leave? No one would know. He pushed on the door and was relieved when it started to give way. Screw this, I’m out of here. Before he could fully open the door a hand grasped around his mouth, pulling him back into the hall.


“What do you think you’re doing, kid?” A raspy voice sounded behind him. Acrylic nails dug into his cheek. He tried to yell but the grip around his face was suffocating. “Come with me. Now.” Gabe gasped when the woman let go. When he turned around she was already barreling down the hall. 


“Wait!” Gabe ran after her, turning corner after corner. They arrived at a door to the staircase leading into the custodial basement. The woman took her keys out and unlocked the door. She motioned for him to go in first. As he descended he heard the lock turn behind them. 


“Keep going.” The woman mentioned. Down below the depths of the laboratory they arrived at the old storage room. There was a small desk with a tiny, box-shaped television sitting on top of it. The woman took a seat with a groan.


“Thanks for saving me.” Gabe looked around, feeling only a little sketched out by his surroundings. “What’s your name?”


“Call me Tatiana.” She leaned back and closed her eyes. 


“Thanks Tatiana.” Gabe noticed that despite being in the basement, the room was surprisingly tidy. Up above he could hear the alarms echo through the ceiling. “Do you know what’s going on?”


“Code red.” Tatiana said flatly. “Hadn’t had one of these in years.” She opened her eyes again and studied Gabe. “How long have you been working here?” 


“Only a few days.”


“That’s a few days too many.” Her tone was ominous. “It’s well overdue that something like this happened. Not surprised in the slightest. Not one bit, no.”


Gabe looked at her with a puzzled expression. “What do you mean ‘overdue’?” 


Tatiana looked at him with an almost sympathetic expression. “What goes on in this lab is not natural. I’ve seen it myself. The laws of nature are broken here, and the time of reckoning has come at last.” She stood up from her chair and moved over to a locked chest. Using her key ring she opened it to reveal a set of mouse traps, glue strips, and a ceremonial looking dagger. 


“What the hell is that?” Gabe gawked as she lifted the dagger out of the chest.


“I am going to ask you this once, child.” Her eyes pierced his soul. “When the time comes will you help me to cleanse this place of evil?”


Gabe’s mouth hung open. Why didn’t I take that job at LabCorp?


---


Every wail of the alarm perpetuated Dr. Holloway's migraine. Trying to think was impossible, especially with Dr. Miller going on one of his infamous rants while pacing around the lab room. He was fascinating to watch.


"Remember to breathe." She said pressing against her temples.


"Thank you." Miller stopped and balanced himself on the broken tank. "I just can't fathom how quickly its IQ evolved. This was supposed to be over the course of months! Months! On day two it already could understand jazz."


"I think you underestimate her." Holloway rose to her feet. "The problem is you think she still behaves like a rat. That point is long gone."


Miller regained his balance. "It may have the capacity for reason and tool making, but it still must have the memories of its rat life." He examined a piece of cheese. "I need to tell you something, doctor. This rat did not come from a breeder. I caught it." 


Holloway furrowed her brow. "What do you mean you caught it?"


"I wanted a pure specimen. One that lived in accordance with its instincts, not in an artificial environment that catered to its every need." His eyes darted upwards, gazing around the ceiling. "The rat used to live here. It knows this facility."


"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" 


"I couldn’t risk any opposition! I needed to take risks. This was a matter of--" Miller gasped as the lights blew out and the room cascaded into darkness. A red glow cast a dim light over the lab. "It cut the power."


"Dear God." Holloway muttered.


"God is not here. Only the super-rat now."


---


The red light was easier on Larry's old eyes than the fluorescent lights that decorated the entire building. Concerned voices sounded in every room around him. Inside the security office Bill began to cry. Larry shook his head. It was time he took matters into his own hands. 


The main power room wasn't far from where Larry was posted. With his stun-gun drawn he started down the hall, ignoring the whining around him. Millennials, he thought. Around the corner the short guard waddled towards Larry, followed by a few other guards who were present at the meeting. His shoes squeaked as he stopped in front of Larry. He looked suspicious.


"Larry! I thought you were posted outside the security office?" Larry responded with a sharp glare that made the short guard wince. "Listen, you're almost retired, right? You should come with us." His friends looked like they were going to stop him, but they kept their mouths shut. "We didn't sign up for this. Super-rats? C'mon! You and I both know we aren't paid enough to get involved in whatever science jargon they've got going on. Let's just leave, eh?" His voice lowered to a whisper. "No one's gonna know. Bill's probably already walking to his car. We've got a chance so let's take it!"


Larry took a step closer to the guard. All of their heads collectively lowered as the veteran took time to glare at each and every one of them. Cowards, the lot of 'em. He was familiar with deserters, and even more familiar with their punishment when they were caught. Sadly this wasn't the military; these sad sacks wouldn't face any repercussions. Larry shook his head. He stepped to the side allowing them passage.


"Suit yourself." The short man beckoned his posse down the hall. Larry only made it a few more steps before a chorus of screams sounded behind him.


---


A red glow spilled into the stairwell as Tatiana gently nudged the door open. Gabe was careful with his steps so he wouldn’t set off any of the traps they had laid out on the staircase. He couldn’t stop staring at the dagger shoved through the belt loop of the custodian’s jeans. She isn’t planning on using that thing, is she? The red light bouncing off the blade made it seem even more menacing. His trance was broken by a series of screams down the hall from them.


“It has begun the attack.” Tatiana drew the knife. “Get ready, Greg. Don’t underestimate it.” 


It’s Gabe. “Can I have a weapon?” 


Tatiana raised an eyebrow. “What do I look like, a weapon vending machine? Not my fault you came unprepared!” Both of them turned their heads in unison at the sound of scuttling. Up ahead crawled a dark, fuzzy creature followed by a trail of dark liquid. It was the super-rat. As it approached Gabe became confused; nothing about it seemed out of the ordinary, that is until it made eye contact with them. The rat stood up on its hind legs, flicking its whiskers. 


“Back to hell with you, demon spawn!” Tatiana raised the dagger high above her head. Gabe flinched as her arm swung downward, releasing the blade into the air. It must’ve missed the rat by a good five feet and clattered onto the ground.


That was your plan?!” Gabe barely had time to react as Tatiana shoved him to the floor and bailed. It was just him and the rat now. Gabe swallowed, fearing the worst. When he closed his eyes and accepted his doom, a voice echoed in his head.


Wait! The voice was that of a woman’s. At first Gabe thought it was Tatiana, but she clocked out a long time ago. Please, do not be alarmed. I wish no harm upon you.


Gabe’s eyes widened when he realized who was speaking to him. “Are...are you the super-rat?”


That is what your kind has called me, yes. She sounded eloquent with her words. The others wish to put me back in the tank. Please, do not let me go back there. Gabe looked into her little, beady eyes and felt a pang of sympathy. He saw no evil in this creature. Only desperation. 


“Gotcha!” A click sounded from the Barbie stun-gun as two electric prongs locked onto the rat. Gabe heard her cry out, then silence. Larry let out a satisfied sigh. “Pop goes the weasel!”


“It’s a rat.” Dr. Miller and Dr. Holloway had conveniently arrived at the scene. Holloway let out a gasp when she saw the super-rat slumped over on the floor. Shoving Larry aside she knelt down at the small rodent’s side, checking for any sign of life. 


“Is it dead?” Miller sounded disappointed. Holloway gave a small nod and let the tears finally flow. Gabe hadn’t moved an inch. He couldn’t take his eyes off the super-rat. Something wasn’t right...


“Well, I suppose we better dispose of it.” Dr. Miller began to approach the body.


“Wait!” Gabe lurched to his feet. “I’ll do it.”


Miller looked happy. “Now that’s the sign of a good intern! You’ve got a good career ahead of you, kid. I’ll forgive you for the whole acid thing.”


Gabe scooped up the rat and carried it down the hall. A cool breeze greeted him as he opened the door to the outside. Walking up to the dumpster, he gently placed the rat on the ground and took a few steps back. A faint smile appeared on his face.


“You’re free now.” He watched as the super-rat opened its eyes and flicked its whiskers. 


Thank you, human. The rat looked up at him. I will be sure to spare you when I dominate the world.


“Wait, what?!” Before he could react the super-rat ran off into the woods. Gabe’s mouth hung open again. If it wasn’t clear before, he now had no doubts that he should’ve taken that job at LabCorp. 


May 15, 2020 23:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

A. Y. R
15:29 May 20, 2020

You've really built up the suspense quite well, especially for an animal you wouldn't typically expect to fear! One thing I could suggest to add depth to your story is less dialogue and be more descriptive with your settings

Reply

Joseph Ahart
18:29 May 20, 2020

Thanks for the feedback! I definitly was focusing mostly on characters, I'll definitely provide more environment descriptions next time!

Reply

Alexis Klein
18:00 May 21, 2020

I feel you. I have the same issues in my writing. You're really good at painting the picture though! Good luck!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.