High School Sweethearts

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write a romance that involves one partner saving the other from a fire.... view prompt

0 comments

Gay LGBTQ+ Romance

(Trigger warning: homophobic language)

Abbie walked into Crestview High School, ready for another day of note-taking and humiliation. She hurried to her locker, her head down. Once she got there, she popped it open without using the combination. She swung it open, and shoved her backpack into it, taking all her books out. She went to close the locker, and glanced at the inside of the door. She stopped cold. Written in red, bold letters was the word “dyke.” She could feel her face burning. She slammed her locker closed and ran down the hallway towards her first block class, trying to ignore the snickers coming from behind her. She wasn’t watching where she was going, and bumped into someone, dropping her books. She bent down to pick them up and began apologizing.

“I’m so sorry, I’m just having a bad day, I wasn’t looking where I was going and it’s totally my..”

She trailed off as a finger was put to her lips. She looked up to see her girlfriend, Nikki, smiling down gently at her. She smiled back, feeling relieved. 

“Are you doing alright, babe?” Nikki asked, helping Abbie up.

“Eh..” Abbie hesitated, then decided not to tell her girlfriend about the slur in her locker. 

Nikki examined Abbie’s face, knowing that something was wrong. 

“I’m alright! A bit hungry though,” Finished Abbie.

Nikki chuckled and pulled a granola bar out of her pocket. Abbie took it, smiling lightly.

“I love you,” She said.

Nikki rolled her eyes goodnaturedly, and leaned in for a kiss. They pecked each other on the lips, and then parted ways. Abbie rushed to her history class, trying not to be late. But it wasn’t enough. The bell rang right as she reached the door, and she groaned. She opened the door, and Mrs. Jorgins looked at her over her wire-framed glasses. 

“You’re late, Miss Howell,” She rasped.

Abbie’s face flushed, and she stumbled over her words.

“Uhm, yea, I was-- Well, I fell, and then Nikki, and then-”

Mrs. Jorgins interrupted her.

“Abigail, I do not care. Please take your seat.”

Abbie nodded, and slouched into her desk, all the way in the back of the class. Mrs. Jorgins began teaching about the Stone Age. Abbie could feel her eyes drooping, and eventually, she was asleep. She was jolted awake by a loud, ear piercing alarm. She looked around, and the classroom was empty. Where was everyone..? How had she slept through them leaving? She looked up at the door, and realized the small light above the door frame was flashing. With a gasp, Abbie realized it was the fire alarm. Why had no one woken her up?

She rushed to the classroom door, and threw it open. Then, she realized there was no way out. The entire hallway was in flames. She didn’t know what to do. The classroom had no windows, and there was no back exit. She headed cautiously into the hallway, beginning to cough already. She slipped around a patch of fire, and kept doing so until she couldn’t move forward anymore. Her head was light, and she was coughing. Didn’t someone once tell her to get low during a fire? She crouched down, and examined her surroundings. She knew that if she just went a few steps forward, she would reach a small flight of stairs, and then would be able to get out. But there was a small problem: the wall of fire in the way, not to mention the smoke was so thick she could barely see. She pulled her shirt over her nose, and began to crawl towards the fire. She could see the door through it; there was a small patch of floor that wasn’t fully on fire yet. She decided to risk it.

Abbie crawled quickly through the hole, but not quick enough. Her entire lower half was on fire; she could barely move. Suddenly, Nikki came busting in, yelling her name. She ran over to her, pouring a water bottle over the fire on her legs. Abbie screamed, the pain was unbearable. Nikki shushed her, tears streaming down her face. Nikki pressed her lips against Abbie’s, the salty taste waking Abbie up for a moment. 

“I love you..” She heard Nikki whisper, then a small gasp.

Then, Abbie heard yelling. Her sight was fading, but she watched as Nikki was dragged away by a fireman. She felt herself being lifted up, and then everything was black. 

 

Abbie’s eyes blinked open, the bright lights making her flinch. Her brain was foggy, and her entire body was sore. What happened? Then everything came flooding back. The fire, the pain, the kiss. She groaned, forcing her eyes all the way open. 

“Abbie!” Suddenly, a thousand voices rang out. 

She looked over into the room, and she saw her entire family. They all had tears in their eyes, and looked relieved. Her mother came forward.

“Oh, Abbie.. We’re so glad you’re alive,” She sobbed.

“I love you, Mama,” Abbie answered.

For the next twenty minutes, Abbie’s family came forward, one by one to talk to her. Everyone she had ever known was there. Her mom, her dad, her brother and cousins and aunts and uncles. Every distant family member that Abbie had was in that hospital. Once everyone was done talking to her, she was exhausted. But one person was missing. 

Abbie smiled weakly at her family, and then looked around.

“Where is Nikki?” She rasped.

Nikki stepped into the doorway.

“Hello,” She said hesitantly.

Abbie’s family smiled, and stepped out to give them privacy.

“Hey,” Nikki said awkwardly.

Abbie smiled at her. “How bad am I?”

Nikki sighed, looking pained. “Over half your body is burned. You’re going to need at least one surgery. You have second and third degree burns, but the doctors all said you should be fine in a few.. Months.” She choked on the last word.  

Abbie frowned. 

Nikki came forward, pressing her forehead against Abbie’s.

“I thought you were dead,” She whispered. “I thought that would be the last time I would ever see you.”

“You thought wrong, my love. I would never leave you.”

Nikki giggled, and tears spilled over. Abbie leaned into Nikki, kissing her deeply. Nikki smiled into it, and at that moment, Abbie knew she was the one.

October 18, 2020 19:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.