Travel Friendships

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

2 comments

Kids

Walking into yet another travel rental, I was amazed yet again. The apartment I had rented for the next four days was on the top floor of a quiet residential building. I walked straight to the back patio, and gasped. I was overlooking an old monastery. To the right was a quaint courtyard with the sounds of the city in the distance even though just one street over was the main drag.

“The monastery is an archaeological site,” the owner of the apartment said as she walked out behind me. “There is an entrance inside a few streets over. There are also some great restaurants in the large square near there. Here are the keys; do you have any questions?”

“Yes, do you know where I can rent a Vespa?” I said longingly as I remembered all the small motorcycles whizzing around the city. Since my father had disowned me three months ago, I had been experiencing the world hoping to never become his perfect son. 

An hour later I was weaving through standstill traffic on my Vespa an hour before sundown. I did not know where I was going, only that it was up. I maneuvered my way up the hill overlooking the city, common to all coastal cities, and took a right when I saw a brown sign with a castle symbol on it. Following the signs and getting turned around a few times, I entered the tourist attraction’s grounds just as the sun was setting.

I paid my entrance fee in an enormous courtyard surrounded by brick walls and walked down a worn cobblestone path thirty feet wide. Down and down it went, for what seemed like ages as the wall to the right increased in height. At the bottom I stuck my head out a hole to the left and realized that we were on top of the city and the castle was perched on the cliff. Below me I saw down the city streets between the tall buildings as the lights of the night came on. Cars we honked, as was commonplace in Italy, and I heard footsteps behind me.

“Pretty isn’t it?” asked a man.

“Of course,” I said, wary of this stranger. I had avoided enough pickpockets and scoundrels during my travels to let one more bother me. “I was just on my way to the top,” I continued, excusing myself.

“I’ll accompany you then,” he said, not taking the hint. I sighed as he fell in step with me as we climbed a grand staircase up to a bridge across what seemed like a dry moat seventy yards deep.

“Are you from around here?” I asked to break the silence of dusk. If we were to experience this together, I decided I would rather discuss himself and not give away many details about myself.

“No, but I have visited many times over the years,” he said in a cultured English voice with the hint of an accent that I could not place. I only smiled and nodded as we walked long, dark hallways inside the castle. The floor and walls were still made of cobblestones, but now they had an incline that was just strenuous enough to make my legs ache.

“How do you like Italy?” the stranger asked. “I would like to visit France or maybe Switzerland.” I knew the best lies were always versions of the truth, and these were the next stops on my adventure.

“I miss France,” said the stranger, “Make sure you stop by Monaco, a small country on the southern coast. It’s phenomenal.”

“I’ll keep that in-” I said as we finally reached and the words died on my tongue. The view was beautiful, and absolutely breathtaking. We had reached the top of the castle and it was certainly a fortress built to protect the city. We had a three hundred sixty degree view of the bustling city around us. To the west a large bay opened up. To the South was Mount Vesuvius, or Vesuvio as the locals called it, that destroyed the famous city of Pompeii. To the North was the heart of Naples with mountains cresting the horizon. The sun had long ago disappeared from view but now it had turned the sky above the horizon bright pinks and oranges with deep blue clouds at the same height as the castle. The sky above was a flow of elegant blues that contrasted the yellow lights of the city below.

I walked over to the Western wall and sat with my feet dangling over the side. Looking around at the square mile rooftop of Castle Elmo of Napoli, I had found my favorite spot in Italy.

“You know, you aren’t allowed to do that,” said the stranger, “But I won’t report you, don’t worry.”

“Oh, I wasn’t worried, thank you very much.” I needed to get rid of this guy. I returned my eyes to the bay and scanned the coastline.

“See that boat over there,” he said as he sat down beside me, “That’s what I call home these days.”

He pointed to a yacht, not a boat, that was anchored out in the bay. It was the only boat anchored on this calm night and from here it looked to be at least one hundred feet long. It made a traveler boy like me jealous with its large extravagance. This man was either loaded or lying, but I was fine with it either way.

“Why aren’t you enjoying this beautiful evening there?” I asked. I certainly wanted to know more.

“The sky is so much prettier from here,” was all he said as we both looked out towards the fading light. We sat in silence together. I was pondering my decisions to leave my family and travel on my own. Leaving my reputation and life behind while I hid from my mistakes and my family. 


A week later I boarded my flight for France. I planned to do some research on the plane to see if Monaco was worth visiting.

As I sat down in my seat I put my airpods in immediately so I would not be disturbed by other annoying passengers. Soon after, someone tapped my arm trying to get my attention. I removed one airpod and looked up expecting the pushy passenger from earlier. Instead, I was met by a familiar face.

“Toby, so glad to see you!” said my good friend Hayden.

“So glad you could make it, buddy. Talk about waiting until the last minute!” I said excitedly as he sat down next to me. “When you told me you weren’t sure what your work schedule was, you weren’t joking on how spontaneous it can be.”

“Har har, but I’d like to see you working at a family owned vineyard. They have no organizational system and haven’t changed anything since 1743! Old school. There is no way to tell with Nonno Marcelo,” replied Hayden with a smile, “But I love them. Family is family and they are my family away from home.”

Just as I was closing my laptop the plane dipped to begin its descent. Hayden closed his eyes and sat ram-rod straight as I pressed my face against the window to see the land of my next adventure. This was always one of my favorite parts of traveling; viewing the world you were about to visit from high up, taking it in from outside. 


After 3 days in Paris, two days in Normandy, and two days in the Loire Valley Hayden and I took a train to Monaco. There we lounged on the beach and spent our time partying at the casinos and clubs.

One early morning after a long night, we stumbled past the regal Prince’s Palace of Monaco on our way home. I looked up and saw stars blanketing us and the Palace walls closing in as I giddily laughed. 


I woke up, groggily, with a parched mouth. I reached to the bedside table and grabbed a mug provided to quench my thirst. As I sat up, my vision spun and I steadied myself for a moment before bringing the mug to my lips. Once satisfied, I laid back down and rolled over, trying to rest my throbbing head.

A knock on the door awakened me, and croakily I called out, “Come in.”

A tall man, or did he just look tall, blocked the doorway. He flipped on the lights, blinding me. I brought up the blanket to cover my eyes.

“Tobias Robert Grey, look at me, please,” called a familiar voice that I could not place.

I peeked out from under the covers and saw a man in a suit with nicely combed hair sitting next to my bed.

“What is the last thing you remember?” he kindly asked.

“Why does it matter?” I snarkily replied. When he pressed his mouth into a thin line I spoke. “I remember entering a club and asking for a…it was a martini, I think.” He nodded for me to continue, “I danced…and Hayden was there. I think I dreamed of a beautiful castle covered with stars.”

“That’s where we’ll begin I suggest,” he said, matter of fact. “You were found at the palace gates last night shouting about the stars falling and the walls rising.” When I did not respond he asked, “Do you remember this?” I shook my head.

“Where is Hayden?” I asked, finally remembering my partner in crime.

“He is still asleep, although he was much more intoxicated than you were.” When I said nothing more, he said, “You are in the Palace of Monaco, Tobias.”

I laughed in his face, knowing this was just a bad dream.

“And you are the Queen of England, how nice!”

“Ah, no. Although the Queen is a very lovely person who I have met on many occasions.”

“Are you Hayden’s uncle?” I giddily asked ignoring his comment and still feeling the effects of the alcohol.

“Son, can you get it together?” he shouted.

I stopped laughing and looked him in the eye for the first time in this conversation.

Suddenly, I realized that he was the man from Castle Elmo in Naples, Italy, except now we were in Monaco.

“Are you following me?” I screamed.

“I saved you, young man,” he sternly retorted, “The Prince of Monaco took pity on you by welcoming you into his home and you act like an ungrateful child.”

“I…I’m sorry,” I stammered.

“About time for some manners son. Monarchs do not approve of irresponsible-” he was interrupted by a knock on the door. “Come in.” he called, surprised.

A shorter man who was balding on top of his head entered. He wore tan khakis, a navy shirt, and a gray suit jacket.

“I came to see if you were alright,” said the man as the man in the suit quickly vacated the chair by my bed. He had a very strong, posh French accent.

“May I announce His Serene Highness Albert the II, Sovereign Prince of Monaco. Sire, this is Tobias Robert Grey from Pennsylvania in the United States.”

I looked towards the first man, and he gestured with his hand. He meant for me to bow. Instead, I dipped my head as a courtesy greeting as that was all I could do since I was unsure if I could stand long enough to properly bow.

“I was just discussing with him the terms of his release,” said the man in the suit.

“Yes, thank you Pierre,” said the Prince looking at me. “I want you to know that we here in the palace know what goes on in our country. We do not turn a blind eye, we welcome it. However, fun and riches come at a cost, but you know that don’t you?”

“Yes, sir,” I replied quickly. This sounded eerily like the talk my father gave me before throwing me out three months earlier. Since then I had avoided any contact with my family.

“I want you to know that I had a chat with your father this morning over lunch and he feels that you were in the wrong, certainly, but that you are still learning lessons.” My face blanched at this news. I had enjoyed traveling so much because no one who my father was or what fortune was attached to my last name. The reason I had left was to put that behind me and find my own way, but now it was being brought up again, by a monarch no less.

“Sir, I accept full responsibility for my actions and I promise it will never happen again,” I offered up my commonly used excuse.

“You are forgiven; however, I want you to experience the other, finer parts of my country. Your father has approved you to stay for a month and you will accompany my son, who is your age, around the country and on his royal duties.”

There was another knock on the door and Hayden and another man entered the room. The second man was taller than Hayden, but looked much more suave in his expensive suit.

“Toby, you won’t believe who this is!” exclaimed Hayden.

“Yes, Hayden, I know. He also happens to be my cousin,” I said frowning. 

“Cousin, I know we haven’t met but we’ll be the best of friends,” he said, “With you accompanying me life will never get boring!” We had never met, but I had heard enough stories from my mother about her extended family that had encouraged me to stay away.


A month later I was wiping tears away at the palace gates, the exact spot where this entire Monaco fiasco had begun. Cousin Antoine was hugging Hayden and I goodbye while Pierre, the royal’s head of security and the man from Castle Elmo, looked on from over his shoulder. I would miss them. This past month of rowdiness in Monaco was the best time I had ever had. We spent a week in the city exploring all it had to offer followed by two weeks on their yacht, the same one Pierre had pointed out to me from the Castle in Naples. Then a week of royal duties where we made it a game to ditch Pierre and have some fun. When I finished my last two months of backpacking I promised to come back and visit my family here in Monaco.

“We’ll have even more fun than we did this time, cousin,” promised Antoine as I slipped in the car driven by Pierre.

“Pierre, against what you say, I know you were the one who brought me in that night and housed me in the castle. You just pretend the prince did it because he is my family,” I said, beginning my apology and blinking back tears. I visit my family on my mom’s side one time and I get all soppy. “I enjoyed my stay immensely and I am glad I met you. You are a good man and an even better accomplice. One might even call you a friend.”

“Someone has to keep you boys out of trouble,” he replied with a twinkle in his eye.

“But thank you. When I come back I won’t just be coming to see my spoiled cousin, I look forward to visiting you, too,” I said. “You were an unexpected friend, although somewhat stuffy, and I’m glad you came into my life.” 

Through this adventure, I certainly learned that one cannot navigate the world alone, since it is much more fun with good friends who challenge you. After my trip ends, I plan on meeting my father to work out our situation and possibly compromise, something I had balked at before. He had always looked out for me, and although he intervened in my trip to keep me in Monaco, it was worthwhile and I want to work things out with him. 





May 29, 2020 16:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

14:58 Jun 04, 2020

I especially liked the description of the scenery around the castle, nicely done!

Reply

Ida Abbott
18:05 Jun 04, 2020

It was based on a real experience in Naples, Italy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.